Print

Author Topic: BEST AND WORST IN SERIES? Week 27: Bowser  (Read 16941 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 12:40:24 PM »
Except there's no way you would actually want to play something with an N64 controller.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »
@ Luigison: Would one of those controllers work on a US Wii? If so, I'm importin' one o'  thems.

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 09:23:38 PM »
Best: Super Mario Galaxy. The music made this brawl with Bowser the most -dare I say it...- epic Bowser fight ever.

Worst: Super Mario Sunshine, 'cuz it's what all the cool kids are choosing.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 10:16:11 PM »
Best: Dang... I don't know. SMRPG for the still semi-serious, yet character-developed Bowser, but I honestly do think that the voice acting (say of it what you will) in SMS was pretty significant (Is that the only first-party Nintendo game to have voice acting throughout the cutscenes? Well, either way, it is hereby declared illegal for anyone to complain about Bowser's voice acting and simultaneously gripe about the lack of talking in Nintendo games).

Worst: SM64. Not so easy on the eyes and fairly simply foiled (but an unforgettable first boss battle).

All things considered, bring back the Clown Copter!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 10:43:41 PM »
Except there's no way you would actually want to play something with an N64 controller.
Well, some of us played N64 games with N64 controllers and liked it.

Now, playing a SNES game with an N64 controller, that I agree doesn't make sense. The DPad was way on the left and somehow uncomfortable to use, and it's just not fun to try to move a character in one of eight directions using an analog controller. Playing Yoshi's Story gave a glimpse into this. I hated having to slam-and-hold all the time just to get Yoshi to run.

However, I did grow quite fond of the Turok controller setup, where you turn and aim with the control stick and move or strafe with the C buttons. It's also the 1.2 "Solitaire" Goldeneye layout. Preferred it over the 1.1 "Honey" Goldeneye layout (how does anyone aim with digital control?). I got so used to it that I'm unable to play a FPS that uses dual analog sticks.

Bowser in SM64 is aging a bit, isn't he? I remember saying to myself in the early days of N64 that 3D graphics will never reach the level of detail as 2D, which was my response after hearing people say 3D graphics were so much better. I didn't see it, I just saw blurry polygons. Of course, now 3D has caught up tremendously. I didn't say anything about Bowser's look in SM64 because I accepted it as "Bowser's in it, the rest of the game's awesome, therefore Bowser is awesome". I'm not expecting a perfect recreation, but I just... you know... expected Bowser to look like his self on the game manual.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure why the game box, game cart, and game manual all had different artwork. Didn't it? Didn't the manual have Bowser setting Mario's rear on fire?
You didn't say wot wot.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 11:14:24 PM »
It sure did. Games that have different art on the box, cart/disc and manual are awesome! It's a bit boring looking at the same image over and over. See Mario Kart Wii. On the box. On the box in the box. On the manual. On the title screen until you work hard enough to get rid of it.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2008, 10:39:28 AM »
Even then, it's still really similar to the picture you've been looking at for ages.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2008, 12:39:49 PM »
I nominate concept art for a future BEST AND WORST IN SERIES poll.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2008, 06:21:23 PM »
Well, some of us played N64 games with N64 controllers and liked it.
I have found it easier playing SM64 with the GCN controller as well as the Classic Controller.

Best: Super Mario 64 (his battles seemed to require the most strategy)
Worst: Yoshi's Safari (a robot suit?!)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2008, 06:28:53 PM »
Ah! I haven't played that game yet!

...Then again, I'm surprised anyone has (I am trying to get ahold of it).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2008, 07:12:04 PM »
All things considered, bring back the Clown Copter!

They sort of did, in Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (see the opening cutscene) and Smash Bros Brawl (Subspace spoilers! He jumped over a cliff into the Koopa Kopter.)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2008, 07:47:03 PM »
I have found it easier playing SM64 with the GCN controller as well as the Classic Controller.

Best: Super Mario 64 (his battles seemed to require the most strategy)
Ever played OoT MQ?  Yeah, the Ocarina was kind of awkward with the GCN controller's C stick.  Especially if your one of those gamers who like to play the songs in time.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2008, 11:58:45 PM »
They sort of did, in Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (see the opening cutscene) and Smash Bros Brawl (Subspace spoilers! He jumped over a cliff into the Koopa Kopter.)

And also M&L:SS, as well as MKDS to a certain extent. It would seriously rock to have it in a full 3D game, though (it could've fit well with SMG, what with all of the retro references they threw in there; a two-part final boss with Bowser both in and out of the Clown Copter would rock seriously hard).
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2008, 01:17:15 PM »
Week 27: Bowser

BEST:

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (4.50)
Super Mario Galaxy (4.25)
Super Mario 64 (2)
Super Mario RPG (1.75)
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (1)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (1)
Mario Party (.50)

WORST:

Super Mario Sunshine (12)
Super Mario Bros (1)
Yoshi's Safari (1)

NOMINATIONS:

Mario Sports game (2)
2D Game (6.50)
3D Game (1)
Non-Mario Playable Character (6.50)

(10 Votes = Topic)

From now on, I'm going to put the games in order of highest vote to lowest vote, instead of voting order. ...Unless anyone really hates that...?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 03:54:22 PM by Nintendoobsessed »

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2008, 03:10:03 PM »
Then you'd have all the games that got no votes tied for worst, unless I'm thinking of something completely different.

Print