Print

Author Topic: Favorite Zelda Dungeon  (Read 15437 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« on: January 03, 2008, 04:23:07 AM »
If you like any Zelda game, there has to be a dungeon you like most. It goes without saying that you will probably state which one and describe why if you decide to post in this topic.

I love everything about The Well of Three Features in Ocarina of Time. It's one of the first dungeons to which you see the entrance, but you never expect it to be a dungeon. It just seems like something there for comic relief: Dark! Narrow! Scary! The Well of Three Features. But when the time to enter it finally comes, you find that it is a pretty creepy place with undead creatures and things. Things you shouldn't miss if paying a visit include opening coffins to see the surprises inside, playing a song to the evil-looking source of the water, standing on skeletal hands (disappointing they weren't enemies waiting to pull Link into the dangerous water), falling through illusion floors, and befriending a long-necked legless zombie to borrow its monocle.

It's also only loosely bound to anything in-game, so you can think about its origins and purpose all you want; all you know about the well is that once a guy's house stood where it is, and he had an eye that could see the truth (obviously, the Lens of Truth) and that at some point an evil end boss was sealed there. So did the man know he had a dungeon under his house? Did he build it himself? How was he connected to the Shadow Temple? ...Why was it so important that no one found the Lens of Truth? So no one knew how he cheated his way to a legend, or for protection...?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 07:16:35 AM »
...I know what you're talking about, there, but I don't remember it being called that...

For me, as always, it's hard to say, but I think that Snowpeak Ruins (or whatever) from Twilight Princess was cool. I mean, it really broke the dungeon mold, what with the mellow music and simple house doors instead of elaborate blockades. It was also kinda funny that despite the fact that that one yeti is totally nuts (and also the dungeon boss at the end!)--and accidentally sending you to get goat cheese and pumpkins and whatnot--you can use those to make soup. Plus, the Ball & Chain was awesome, the "cold" effects were really good, and the snowboarding leading up to it is awesome.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 07:31:31 AM »
The Dungeon of Color. Coupled with a remix of LoZ's dugeon music, and special tunics (Red this time not a denfense boost, but speed and MORE POWER), plus the fact that is was the first Zelda I managed to beat, this was an excellent addition to an already brilliant game. That, and the fact I was one of the few people at my school to own a GBC.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 11:36:54 AM »
I feel strangely compelled to list the Water Temple as my favorite.
That was a joke.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 12:11:33 PM »
...I know what you're talking about, there, but I don't remember it being called that...

For me, as always, it's hard to say, but I think that Snowpeak Ruins (or whatever) from Twilight Princess was cool. I mean, it really broke the dungeon mold, what with the mellow music and simple house doors instead of elaborate blockades. It was also kinda funny that despite the fact that that one yeti is totally nuts (and also the dungeon boss at the end!)--and accidentally sending you to get goat cheese and pumpkins and whatnot--you can use those to make soup. Plus, the Ball & Chain was awesome, the "cold" effects were really good, and the snowboarding leading up to it is awesome.

Gah! That one made me so mad! I hated that silly Yeti man. Each time I thought that I was done, I found myself in pursuit of some new ingredient that just happened to be scattered around the house. But yes, I agree with you about the cool music and the ball and chain.

As for least favorite temple... I'll have to say either the first one in the Original Zelda for NES (boring, but the others more than make up for it) and the sky temple of Twilight Princess. It definitely had the best boss fight in the game, but I just did not enjoy making my way through the temple -- I think it was the atmosphere. Good TP temple was the weird Land of the Twili People Castle Place (I forgot what it was called). That temple kept me on my toes and was totally freaky.

My favorite temple EVER is rather tough to say. I have always like the Spirit Temple, the Forest Temple, the Shadow Temple and The Water Temple in OoT. Jabu-Jabu's belly was also fun! the music and the feel of those temples had enough weird factor to keep my interested, and they took a great amount of skill for a 5th (or 6th, I can't remember) grader.

Overall, I enjoyed OoT more than TP, but they are much different games and I don't think it's right to compare them. Both are fantastic games though, filled with the good (and bad) temples.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 12:39:13 PM »
That one dungeon from Link's Awakening that you could only get to via Game Boy Color. It's pretty much how I got 999 rupees by re-entering it, and it had some of the coolest features. I spent a few hours just trying to remove all the colored tiles by jumping on them.

I miss that game now... =( it had a lot of "secrets" that had kept me interested. I actually loved every dungeon from Link's Awakening. They were just so... Classic...Tail Cave, Bottle Grotto... Um... Heck it's been so long I can't remember all of them...

...I better stop reminiscing now...

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 01:11:35 PM »
The Earth Temple from The Wind Waker.  The reflecting light challenges really showed off how beautiful the game was, and Medli was a cool teammate.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 01:41:35 PM »
It's on the sign when Link is a kid. "The Bottom of the Well" isn't specific enough to me and "Kakariko Well" isn't used in-game, so...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 01:44:29 PM »
I'd say my most favorite would be the Stone Tower Temple from Majora's Mask, having to go through the temple right-side up and upside down, and using the skills of Link's other three forms, Deku Scrub, Goron, and Zora. The music's also eerily calm in upside-down form.

In Ocarina of Time, I'd say the Spirit Temple was also pretty fun, going through it both as Young Link and Adult Link. Anyone see a pattern going on here?

I wouldn't say I liked the Wind Temple in WindWaker, but I did like the music in it quite a bit, with the acoustic guitars coming in every so often for a few bars. I wouldn't say I liked the Earth Temple much either, but the boss, Jalhalla(?), was fun to defeat.

In Twilight Princess, that mansion owned by the Yeti and his wife was quite fun. I also really enjoyed the Temple of Time.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 04:58:57 PM »
I loved the Forrest Temple from OoT. It wasn't really all that hard, but the interior design makes it one of the most memorable.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 06:37:45 PM »
Favorite Dungeon: Snowpeak Ruins -- I own and have beaten every Zelda (except haven't finished Phantom Hourglass yet because the Temple of the Ocean King can go copulate its boring-butt self) but can't be bothered to remember old dungeons so I'll give my fav from Twilight Princess the shout-out.

Least Favorite Dungeon: Fire Temple from Ocarina of Time Master Quest -- The only Zelda dungeon I've ever gotten impossibly stuck on, never to finish the game because of it (don't tell me to look at a FAQ, people who use walkthroughs are lower than sea slugs P.S. because of this personal bias I usually only get to play about 10% of every adventure game I buy P.P.S. I mean REAL adventure games not what you dorks all think adventure games are).

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 06:40:21 PM »
...don't tell me to look at a FAQ, people who use walkthroughs are lower than sea slugs...

Ouch man, that's harsh. X(
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 07:44:58 PM »
It's true. I always feel shamed after looking at one.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 08:30:06 PM »
When I get stuck at a certain point in a game, I do everything in my power to get past it without assistance. I only use a walkthrough as a last resort. I don't really look at it as cheating, but I feel it's less fun to use a walkthrough rather then try to solve the problem yourself, especially in games like Zelda, where you use your items to solve puzzles.

My favorite dungeon would have to be the Forest Temple from Ocarina of Time. It had some creepy music (a good kind of creepy), a nice atmosphere and great puzzles. Either that, or Arbiters Grounds. It had a feeling or abandonment, seclusion and suspense around every corner, and some interesting puzzles, especially the ones requiring the spinner.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 08:57:33 PM »
The one and only time I used a guide for a Zelda game was for Link's Awakening. At one point in the Bottle Grotto (the second dungeon) you have to kill three enemies in a specific order: Pol's Voice, Keese and the Stalfos. The problem is: I had no idea what enemies these were, and that the whole place was full of enemies I didn't know the names of. In fact, I don't believe that I knew that they were names. The enemies were not named in-game, nor in the manual -- I was left with no other choice than to seek help.

Print