Print

Author Topic: Favorite Zelda Dungeon  (Read 15433 times)

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 09:15:44 PM »
Well, I know it's not the Water Temple in Zelda 64... It might be the Forest Temple because of that beautiful music--but I can't overlook that temple being the impetus for putting the game down for months.  It might be a dungeon from the original Zelda... but to be honest, I've only been through that game two or three times--not enough for each of the levels to have fleshed out their own identity.

If the castle in Link's Awakening counts, I'm going with that...
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 09:16:35 PM »
It's true. I always feel shamed after looking at one.
I don't. When I look at an FAQ I always immediately stop scrolling past the point I'm stuck on, and look for hints. Non-spoiler FAQs are ideal.

FAQs are meant to help people along, not to spoil the whole game. XP

I don't care what Lizard Dude thinks of them, I'm still going to use them, and still think highly of myself while doing so. </smug self-satisfaction>
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 09:21:34 PM »
I, for one, feel terrible shame--though I concur with Lizard Dude.  I have a pretty good idea which part you're talking about... I was stuck for a while myself.  Though I don't remember exactly how I got out of it...

I guess guides are OK for, say, fighting games where you have to pull off 16-button combos that would be almost impossible to stumble upon otherwise.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 09:38:12 PM »
Well it's nice you think highly of your loser self, Vid.

A Story I Just Thought Of
One time freshman year of college I went up to a friend's room in another dorm. I open the unlocked door and there he is on his PC with Chrono Trigger running emulated in the bottom-right 25% of the screen and behind it, a gameFAQ maximized on the other 75%.

I didn't talk to him for weeks.

How come Link's Awakening is the only 2D Zelda getting shout-outs? 2D is very disadvantaged for having memorable dungeons because they generally take a lot less time and all look about the same as opposed to the giant 3D unique dungeons in the four 3D Zeldas, but still Link's Awakening has been mentioned here about every other post.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 09:42:57 PM »
Well, I was going to mention the end of properly-linked Oracle of Ages/Seasons, but that's not really a dungeon.

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 09:44:14 PM »
Can you improperly link them? ;)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 09:48:57 PM »
I was so mad at the strategy guide I got for Twilight Princess because it had an unnecessary major spoiler.  At least my brother-in-law's OoT strategy guide was free from major spoilers.
Now, if I get hopelessly stuck, I go to GameFAQs and skip ahead to the part I'm stuck on.  Just not bother to read ahead.

I really don't know what my favorite dungeon is.  I do enjoy the snow mansion in Twilight Princess (I had fun imagining what it must have been like in its prime)  I enjoy OoT's Forest Temple as well.
My least favorite is OoT's Shadow Temple.  All the bottomless pits and the invisible sythes and guillotines, and my first expreience with Bongo Bongo. ;_;
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 09:52:31 PM »
Person uses strategay guide, gets spoiled and mad, news at 11:00.

P.S. There is no such thing as "hopelessly stuck". There is always hope (unless you've stumbled into an actual game-stopping glitch) and it's a choice between

A) Getting better at games, solving the puzzle/challenge and feeling awesome about yourself

B) Being a *****, thus never gaining skillz, thus keeping the cycle going

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 10:04:58 PM »
I barely used that guide.  Those days are over.  Nowadays, I try to beat a game without any help.  I can figure out most of the puzzles by myself.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 10:12:14 PM »
Well it's nice you think highly of your loser self, Vid.

k

On another note, I'd say my most favorite temple in the original LoZ would be...Level 4 or 5.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 10:47:23 PM »
Person uses strategay guide, gets spoiled and mad, news at 11:00.

P.S. There is no such thing as "hopelessly stuck". There is always hope (unless you've stumbled into an actual game-stopping glitch) and it's a choice between

A) Getting better at games, solving the puzzle/challenge and feeling awesome about yourself

B) Being a *****, thus never gaining skillz, thus keeping the cycle going

Did my post not count? or should I stop making them?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 10:52:49 PM »
...How many permutations of Pol's Voice-Keese-Stalfos would you have had to go through to finally figure it out on your own without a guide?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 10:59:47 PM »
At maximum, six, I think.
That was a joke.

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 11:01:21 PM »
I beat that game I'm sure before I knew those names either. Isn't it just in one room, with one of each?

Anyway, I did it at like age 1 so you should be able to too.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 11:21:10 PM »
My favorite temple... is the Shadow Temple in Ocarina of Time. I don't remember why I like it so much, but I have both fond and frantic memories of it. My second favorite is probably the Water Temple in Twilight Princess. I particularly enjoyed the boss fight with Morpheel.

Speaking of boss fights, Bongo Bongo wasn't too terrible for me. I died once, and then figured out that I don't even have to see it to hurt it when it's charging.

Print