Print

Author Topic: The Rollercoaster Tycoon Topic  (Read 2746 times)

« on: April 24, 2009, 07:11:31 PM »
Discuss your experiences with Rollercoaster Tycoon (henceforth RCT) here!

Nearly every time that I build a Karts ride, I try to make a track from the Mario Kart series. I have yet to attempt to make the N64 Rainbow Road however.. I often rename the Haunted House rides into Ghost House (or something similar), and then decorate the area with the spooky items (if I have researched them).

I color my workers according to the article of clothing that doesn't change, like makeing the handy-men wear white, or the repairmen wear yellow. This makes them easy to find in emergencies. I also name guests after video game characters and family members.

During a money crunch, I have been known to charge guests to use my restrooms.

Share yours! (they don't have to be in a list format..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
I sell skin-colored shirts at the T-Shirt Stalls and call them Shirtlessness Stalls. It works because everyone's white.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 03:55:47 PM »
I once made a park in RCT2 that was centered entirely on a Ninjas vs. Pirates theme. The centerpiece(s) were these two absolutely orgasm-inducing dueling rollercoasters that spun in and out of each other all around the park.

Another (also in RCT2) was called Frightmare Peaks - a bunch of mountains with a horror theme. I recall having an absolutely massive, super-tal, twenty-minute-long haunted house ride somewhere in there.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 06:27:25 PM »
Finally, something I know I can talk about and understand with the utmost certainty and gleeful nostalgia! I spent so much of my childhood playing this game, most memorably in the presence of my friends--see, I was in a gifted program once a week in elementary school (my grandmother was the teacher, which helped) and we were allowed to play it before class. There was always the one or two guys who would make a 100-foot-tall island surrounded by water and throw a bunch of people on it or a rollercoaster that ends in the middle of nowhere and explodes...

I virtually never make my own rollercoasters. It takes a lot of time and money I could be spending on managing other parts of the park.

Other tidbits to follow.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 11:54:11 PM »
First time I played it was at a friend's house. I became so obsessed that I bought a copy myself, and beat most of the available scenarios. I've made several Mario-themed parks to the best I could, using many mushroom objects from the Wonderland scenery set.

Over the course of time I bought him Corkscrew Follies and Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 for his birthday and for Christmas. He copied RCT2 and gave it to me shortly afterward.

In RCT2 I completely leveled one of the available parks and saved it in a file, so I could always play around with this empty space with all the themes and rides, rather than using the scenario builder, which I felt took a lot of time to use. I once used ALL the space to my advantage, building at least 20 roller coasters with the stations high above the ground.

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 04:01:25 PM »
I often put the Hedge Maze and Go-Karts rides close together, so that I can make a really long maze that guests can drive through. It can make the Hedge ride somewhat awkwardly shaped however. You often have to have the Karts tunnel under or bridge over the Hedge to make it work.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 04:27:10 PM »
I remember that guests were always lost in my mazes, always coming close to the end but then immediately going in the other direction.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 04:32:21 PM »
This makes me want to find my old disc.

Loved those games. I never got into the third installment quite like the previous two... it kinda sucked to be honest. But the first two were just amazing. I dove into pretty much every aspect of the game, never finding myself bored in any case. Screwing with the guests made sure of that. But I never was too cruel, I usually just pulled them out of the water after a few seconds.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
One of my favorite moments is when I make the smallest possible maze with no walls and the entrance/exit are right there beside eachother, and the guests still get lost inside. How is that even possible..?

Print