Print

Author Topic: Super Mario RPG sequel?  (Read 17734 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 10:09:23 PM »
Polluting? I ask again, why the hate?
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 12:06:18 AM »
I guess people here didn't like Mario Hoops 3 on 3, and don't want Final Fantasy characters in Mario games ever again? I'm certainly not opposed to the idea, if done in moderation (that is, don't put in anyone whose only appearance on a Nintendo console was in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories or Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, because we don't need Cloud or Vaan in a Mario game anyway).

Regarding another part of the article:
Combat in Golden Sun using the Nunchuk? DO NOT WANT

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 12:39:58 AM »
Mixing Final Fantasy characters into Mario games was a bad idea, buy I absolutely loved Super Mario RPG. 
Who looked at a horse and saw the potential for glue?  That's a brainstorm in my book.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 04:16:51 AM »
By no means do I hate Final Fantasy, but I must say that Mario and Final Fantasy do not belong together. Super Mario RPG was a spectacular display of how Square could pull off a Mario-ized Final Fantasy-esque game. The Fighter is Mario, the Black Mage is Mallow, the Red Mage is Geno, the Black Belt is Bowser (close, Bowser's special is Dukar), the White Mage is Toadstool, and no one likes Ninjas so the Thief is absent. All the spells are Mario-like, as are the enemies. Except Culex--sort of a style cameo, not a character one. He worked, as he spoke of being from another dimension and stuff.

Conclusion: Please, no agile 17-year-olds with big hair. Mario does not engage in swordplay. I don't know how a real SMRPG sequel would be, though. It wouldn't be the same without the original characters, who have been destroyed/made royalty/returned to the Star Road.

I don't think they'll follow through with it. If they do, I wonder what direction they'll take with the graphics... we've never had a Mario RPG with all 3-D characters.
* Bird Person is still hoping for a Mario & Luigi game on the Wii with a co-op mode playable at will
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
I guess people here didn't like Mario Hoops 3 on 3
I'm not saying it's a bad game (I've never played it); I'm just saying there are better venues for Final Fantasy and Mario characters to cross than a sports game.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 11:05:11 AM »
Conclusion: Please, no agile 17-year-olds with big hair.

In other words, exactly what I said, except that Cloud is more than 17 years old? Like I said, these characters' only appearances on Nintendo systems were in either Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories or Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, and while both of these games are very good, I see no reason for any characters from either of them to appear in a Mario game. If they want to put Final Fantasy characters in a Mario game, make them classic characters, and make them into NPCs in an area that appeared from the same alternate dimension from which Culex hailed (an airship, maybe?), and make Final Fantasy monsters start appearing in other areas as soon as it appears.

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 02:07:16 PM »
Mario does not engage in swordplay.

They could always restrict the Mario items to the Mario characters, and the FF items to the FF characters...

imo, this has the potential to be a brilliant game. It'd have to be done really well, but if it is, it could be plain awesome. I do like WarpRattler's idea though.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 05:51:11 PM »
If anything, Squeenix will probably just feature some generic races as NPCs (Moogles, Black Mages, etc.) and the most well-known enemies in battle (Tonberrys, Cactuars, Bahamutt, Bomb, etc.) If they had to have an FF character for a party member, they'd likely use the ones featured in Mario Hoops. For those complaining about stylistic reasons, who's to say they won't Mario-fy the design of the FF characters like they did in Mario Hoops? What if they decide to create more original characters?

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 06:00:14 PM »
for all of you who say there shouldn't be FF characters in mario, don't get mario hoops 3 on 3.

anyways i'm happy with a mario RPG sequel, even if i don't think there should be FF characters in, that'd be weird. the most they should have is a cameo.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 06:04:42 PM »
You notice how serious and emo the modern FF has been?  I don't want emo getting into Mario.  I don't mind a few serious parts as long as the game as a whole can still keep a light-hearted nature, which is one of the things that makes the Paper Mario games so neat.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for the first SMRPG to be released on VC.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 09:03:52 PM »
Man, that's one of the reason I find the latter day Mario RPGs less cool. There's no threat at all in them.

Emo?

Serious. I like serious. In fact I like it more than goofy every day.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 02:49:50 PM »
Even if the game's not any good, which would, of course, be a travesty, at least it might increase the chances of Geno and Mallow getting in Brawl, or at least getting SMRPG on the VC.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 10:53:43 PM »
Mario Maniacs coping this topic!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2008, 09:20:14 AM »
Well, no one's posted here for two months... and his is slightly different, anyway. Is this something you normally do when people borrow your ideas for threads?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Sqrt2

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 06:14:41 AM »
As a european gamer, I'd prefer to play the first one than this. Anyway, I think FF and Mario should be kept as seperate franchises (although cameos are OK).
AA fanboy and proud!

Print