Print

Author Topic: EarthBound 2: Dreams Come True  (Read 5587 times)

« on: January 26, 2006, 11:32:28 AM »
IT'S OFFICIAL!!

Nintendo's finally gonna release the third Mother game!!
The Mother game series, which is known in the West as EarthBound, is an adventure series, with a unique RPG system, about a psychic boy called Ness who is destined to save the Earth from extra terrestrial invasions!

Nintendo had confirmed that Mother 3 is gonna hit Japanese stores on the 20th of April, 2006 only for the GameBoy Advance!!

Check out the official Japanese website!!

Oh, and GUESS WHAT!! It seems Nintendo of America, Inc. had also unleashed an official website of their own!

Now, the official Western title really is EarthBound 2: Dreams Come True!

Say hello to Mr. Saturn on your way into the new unfinished official website!

The Western release date is still TBA...
I am a pure Super Mario lover!! ...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even draw the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 01:36:00 PM »
Earthbound 2 is coming to the US????

There is a god!
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 02:30:46 PM »
So my understanding is:

Mother on NES was never released in the US.
Mother 2 on SNES was released in the US as Earthbound.
Mother 3 for GBA will most likely be released in the US as Earthbound 2.

Is this correct?

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 04:40:48 PM »
Earthbound is the only game I've never played but always wanted to... gotta go find it for SNES.
My short film sucks.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 06:57:06 PM »
Correct, Hirocon.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 07:09:31 PM »
11 years of (not-so) patiently waiting and it is FINALLY being released.  Good times. Goood times.

However, I am slightly skeptical of the quality of the earthbound2.com website.  If it were a real Nintendo game page, it would have the copyright Nintendo and an ESRB rating somewhere on the webpage... It also isn't mentioned on Nintendo.com.  Chances are, this is just a fansite.

But here's hoping that I'm proved wrong. ;)
lumpia (LOOM'·pee·ah") n.
A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »
Huh. Never played Earthbound, but I've heard good about it.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 01:19:08 AM »
Subtitle seems awfully appropriate.

Ideally I would have liked to see this as a finished port of the unreleased Mother 3 (it had the coolest forest picture...), though granted I was skeptical of Mother 3 because it didn't have Ness or the other familiar heroes. So to see Ness again in any form would be great. Maybe it would be an updated version of Mother 1? That'd be cool. If it's entirely new, it better have Ness and at least one Crested Booka. Or Stray Dog or new Age Retro Hippie. But Crested Bookas are cool, EarthBound must have more Bookas.
You didn't say wot wot.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 05:50:50 AM »
I feel so out of the loop... I learned all I know about the Mother series from SSBM.  Is Earthbound really that good?  I've heard mixed opinions.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 01:27:47 PM »
The subtitle, Dreams Come True is fantastically appropriate, considering Mother 3's tragic, convoluted path to release.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 04:53:11 PM »
I feel so out of the loop... I learned all I know about the Mother series from SSBM.  Is Earthbound really that good?  I've heard mixed opinions.
Me too. I don't know why they named the character "Poo," though...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 05:16:41 PM »
The main gripe about Earthbound was it's "sub-par" graphics.  At the time, it was going against the nearly photo-realistic likes of Chrono Trigger.  The gamers at the time Earthbound was released were more concerned with graphics that looked good.  Which is why the game didn't sell.

In my honest opinion, the simplistic graphics were an appropriate for a game with such quirkiness and humor.  And THAT is why Earthbound is awesome.  No other game made me laugh out loud while playing it (although Mario and Luigi came awfully close).  The NOA Localization Team made the game absolutely HILARIOUS.  But it did not sacrifice the plot for humor, as most games do nowadays.

The storyline of the game is so intricate.  The circumstances you get into are just so wild... You go from a small town, to an underground cavern full of talking rocks and dinosaurs, to a murky swamp infested with explosive trees, to a floating city in the clouds, to a pyramid full of mummies and scorpions, etc. etc. etc.  All of these things and much more are all melded and meshed together into the game that is Earthbound.  As random as it may seem, as crazy as things get, the whole thing just.. works.

You guys really should give it a try if you haven't already.  It's a real gem that really should get more credit than it does.
lumpia (LOOM'·pee·ah") n.
A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 08:16:49 AM »
I do believe there is a ROM hack for Mother floating somewhere in the World of the Internet!
This hack of Mother is really an unofficially translated game. In other words, the hack is the unofficial English version of Mother, which the hackers had also changed its name from its Japanese title, to a title which Westerns can relate to: EarthBound Zero!

Good luck on finding that ROM...
(It's a NES ROM alright...)

Um...
Actually, this is not what I simply came back for me to tell you people, because I also have some rather bad news...

I always wondered why Nintendo in Japan did not release the GameBoy Advance remake Mother 1+2, which is a 2-in-1 remake games for both Mother and Mother 2...
I think I'll never know, but somehow it seems my hopes of seeing Mother 3 outside of Japan had dropped as well!

Why? Well, after Unlimited Lumpia's post about evidence that this website for EarthBound 2: Dreams Come True cannot be a Nintendo-owned website, I looked into it.

It turned out to be TRUE!!

This thing suggests that my link is NOT a Nintendo-owned website!

I guess there is now GREAT doubt that Mother 3 will ever be released in the West!

Someone ought to open an online-petition!!
I am a pure Super Mario lover!! ...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even draw the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 10:23:27 AM »
I don't know what it looked like a few days ago, but It's quite obvious now that earthbound2.com is not an official site.

I do believe there is a ROM hack for Mother floating somewhere in the World of the Internet!
This hack of Mother is really an unofficially translated game. In other words, the hack is the unofficial English version of Mother, which the hackers had also changed its name from its Japanese title, to a title which Westerns can relate to: EarthBound Zero!

That wasn't a ROM hack; that was an actual translation by Nintendo... they had the game completed, but they never released it.  Somebody found a prototype and dumped it.  The hackers removed the copy protection and added "Zero" to the title.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 10:23:50 AM »
Umm, online petitions almost never work. Writing in letters and doing a hand written petition might though.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Print