Poll

What are your most favorite power-ups?

Super Mushroom (SMB)
9 (4%)
Fire Flower (SMB)
21 (9.3%)
Starman (SMB)
20 (8.9%)
Super Leaf (Also counts as the P-Wing) (SMB3)
14 (6.2%)
Tanooki Suit (SMB3)
16 (7.1%)
Frog Suit (SMB3)
9 (4%)
Hammer Bros. Suit (SMB3)
21 (9.3%)
Kuribo's Shoe (SMB3)
13 (5.8%)
Cape Feather (SMW)
22 (9.8%)
P-Balloon (SMW)
2 (0.9%)
Wing Cap (SM64)
13 (5.8%)
Metal Cap (SM64)
15 (6.7%)
Vanish Cap (SM64)
3 (1.3%)
Mega Mushroom (NSMB)
9 (4%)
Mini Mushroom (GBDK)
6 (2.7%)
Blue Shell (NSMB)
6 (2.7%)
Super Flower (SML)
1 (0.4%)
Carrot (SML2)
1 (0.4%)
Yoshi's Wings (SMW)
5 (2.2%)
Power Flower (SM64DS)
3 (1.3%)
Bee Mushroom (SMG)
5 (2.2%)
Boo Mushroom (SMG)
3 (1.3%)
Ice Flower (SMG)
1 (0.4%)
Spring Mushroom (SMG)
0 (0%)
Rainbow Star (SMG)
4 (1.8%)
Red Star (SMG)
3 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Print

Author Topic: Your favorite Power-Ups in various Mario games  (Read 17009 times)

« on: August 07, 2007, 10:03:54 PM »
I've defined a power-up (well in this thread, anyway) as anything that alters Mario's (or Luigi's) physical appearance and abilities to benefit them, either for a limited time or until Mario touches an enemy. I've listed them in order of appearance (in Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, and New Super Mario Bros.) If I missed a game, please let me know, and I shall add the power-ups from those games (I'm not including anything from RPGs or Mario Kart/Party games, due to the fact that they do not follow the rule of altering the physical appearance of Mario/Luigi, nor am I including the power ups of Super Mario Sunshine, for the same reason. Super Mario Bros. 2's Poison Mushroom also isn't included, as it does not benefit Mario or Luigi).

You may vote for 5 power ups.

I hope this becomes a popular poll, and also hope this wasn't done before. Hm.

Get voting.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 10:15:06 PM »
I always loved the basics. The Super Mushroom, the Fire Flower, the Starman. I also admire the Super Leaf. It gives me great memories of playing SMAS with my big sister many years ago. The last favorite item of mine is Kuribo's Shoe (which thanks go to me for reminding Vidgmchtr to include it in his poll). I just love bouncing around in that thing. It always fits me.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 10:41:27 PM »
My favorite Super Mario item (or Power-Up, if you will) is the Hammer Bros. Suit. We know the Hammer Brothers are one of the biggest nuisance in the history of the Mario Universe, but slipping in on one of those suits will allow you to take on that role (at least, as long as you don't get hit by an enemy) and become one of the nuisance yourself.

Yep, i definitely love the Hammer Bros. Suit.
I don't know if it's me, but i completely love both Mario and Peach to death. I guess i'm obsessed about both of them, huh?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 10:48:54 PM »
I had a hard time choosing between the cape feather and the super leaf, but I chose Super Leaf because Mario and Luigi in raccoon form remind me of those human/beast crossovers/demons that are common in anime
Starman makes you invincible for a short period of time, and it's tune is classic.
Fire Flower.  No explanation needed
Super Mushroom  classic
Metal Hat: You can just ram through the enemies, noxious gas won't hurt you, and its song is really cool!
Regards, Uncle Dolan

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 12:06:46 AM »
Let's not forget the GB power-ups:
(non-Fire) Flower = Superballs = awesome
Carrot = hovering = crap

While not exactly power-ups since you gain them automatically at the necessary time, there were some other cool things:
Marine Pop
Sky Pop
Space Suit

Technically, the Mini Mushroom and Mega Mushroom first appeared in GB Donkey Kong, though the latter was only used by Donkey Kong.
You could arguably add Jugem's Cloud, though that's a map screen-only item.
What about the ? Mushroom from SMAS SMB3's battle mode?  I suppose that's more of an effect than a power-up.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 01:50:28 AM »
Tanooki Suit- You can fly, and kill things you can't normally when you use the statue power.
Kuribo's Shoe- If being in a giant shoe isn't the most brilliant concept of a power-up ever, I don't know what is.
P-Balloon-You're a balloon! Seriously! That's great!
Mini Mushroom- I love that floaty jump and ability to walk on water. So it makes you more vulnerable, whatever, but you can outmaneuver enemies easily.
I didn't choose a fifth. Sorry, Fifth.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 04:03:23 AM »
I chose:

Fire Flower- it's just so useful in some levels...
Starman- Invincibility, come on!
Cape Feather- it's excellent fun to soar through levels, and it suits Mario too.
Metal Cap- awesome music, useful, great appearance, win.
Mini Mushroom- this is extremely fun to use in NSMB.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 07:21:56 AM »
I voted for....

Hammer Bros- This power-up looked pretty good on Mario, and the ability to toss hammers at enemies was just sweet.
Fire Flower- This is pretty much Mario's main attack outside of jumping. Fire has always been a favorite weapon of mine in games.
Frog Suit- It may not  be the most useful item in some levels, but come on. Mario's in a frog suit. What's not to love?
Metal Cap- I kinda remember this as one of my first power up, since I started playing Mario around SM64. It's powerful, and Mario can't die with it on (unless he falls down a pit)
Cape Feather- This power allows Mario to fly. Flying is my favorite super power. That's all I gotta say about that.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 09:49:52 AM »
I'm glad to see Mega Mushroom with 0%.  It could have been a good power up if it were used to break a wall to enter a different path or to go into a giant Warp Pipe, but it was mostly used for running and breaking stuff.  The novelty wore off fast.

I voted for Fire Flower and Wing Cape because of their usefulness.  I voted for the Mini Mushroom because I liked it in NSMB.  It was useful and different.  Finally, I voted for Kuribo's Shoe and the Frog Suit for their, for lack of a better word, cuteness. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 10:54:40 AM »
Let's not forget the GB power-ups:
(non-Fire) Flower = Superballs = awesome
Carrot = hovering = crap

While not exactly power-ups since you gain them automatically at the necessary time, there were some other cool things:
Marine Pop
Sky Pop
Space Suit

Technically, the Mini Mushroom and Mega Mushroom first appeared in GB Donkey Kong, though the latter was only used by Donkey Kong.
You could arguably add Jugem's Cloud, though that's a map screen-only item.
What about the ? Mushroom from SMAS SMB3's battle mode?  I suppose that's more of an effect than a power-up.

Aha! Forgot about the Super Mario Land games completely. I'll add those to the bottom of the list later.

I did consider Jugem's Cloud (along with a few other map screen items with similar effects) but decided not to, as they're not used in the main part of the game.

I didn't really consider the ? Mushroom either, as I do not recall it actually changing the appearance of Mario or Luigi. Then again, I've only played it like once or twice in my life. If enough people want that on the list as well, I'll add it.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 10:56:20 AM »
I'm glad to see Mega Mushroom with 0%.  It could have been a good power up if it were used to break a wall to enter a different path or to go into a giant Warp Pipe, but it was mostly used for running and breaking stuff.  The novelty wore off fast.

Heh. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I voted for Mega

:P
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 11:57:57 PM »
I voted for the three caps from Super Mario 64, as they all had good theme music and made gameplay a lot more 3-dimensional, as well as having general coolness.  I also voted for the Hammer bros suit, which was a good weapon.  And of course the Starman.  Best song ever, cool flashy effect, and makes you INVINCIBLE!!  Hahahaha!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 12:08:26 AM »
I just remembered the most awesome power-up from SML2.  On the save select screen Mario can essentially turn into a Bob-omb and obliterate the selected data file.

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 01:05:14 AM »
Hammer Bros. Suit because it is like invincibility if you take it slow, and you can kill King Koopa with it... And it looks hot on Peach(Sue me!)

Super Mushroom because it has the best design ever, and I love the way it's evolved.

Tanooki because it looks cute on Mario, and you get to fly and be a statue. That's a lot of abilities!

Kuribo's Shoe
because it's a nice rarity that is really fun to use.

Frog Suit
because it makes the hell of water levels a little less hellish and looks cute.

EDIT: Oh yeah! What about Lakitu's loud? Also, I have a feeling Galaxy is going to bring on a plethora of new suits, might want to remake this poll after the fact :O
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 01:08:00 AM by Metric »
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 05:21:28 AM »
I just remembered the most awesome power-up from SML2.  On the save select screen Mario can essentially turn into a Bob-omb and obliterate the selected data file.

They need to bring that back and put it to good use in-game.

Print