Print

Author Topic: Stories about famous people you met  (Read 5875 times)

« on: November 23, 2007, 05:26:49 PM »
Anyone have interesting stories about meeting a certain celebrity or famous person?

The earliest one I can remember was when my family met Danny Tamberelli and Mike Maronna (The two guys who starred in The Adventures of Pete & Pete).

My mother wanted their autographs because she liked the show (as did my brother and I). When she got them, she read it, saying "From Danny and Mike". She looked at my brother and I, and then back at them, and this little bit of dialogue ensued:

Mom: Wait, aren't you supposed to put YOUR names on it?
Maronna: Uhh, those ARE our names.

This confused my mother quite a bit, as those happen to be the names of my brother and I as well. Then she laughed, and explained to them how it confused her, as those were our names as well, and then she looked down at us and said the same thing. Our reactions were like "....k".

I also recall my father giving Tamberelli a noogie. I thought that wasn't very kind, but it didn't seem to annoy him. Later, my brother got to play laser tag with them (This whole thing occured at a laser tag + arcade place), but I was too young to join them.

I also met the former governor of New York, but except for a handshake, there's nothing interesting there.

So, do any of you have interesting stories?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 05:45:15 PM »
Good thread but... I can't think of any personal stories for it. :(

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 08:31:55 PM »
I met Neil Gaiman at the San Diego Comic-Con a few years back. I met Lou Ferrigno at the same convention. Earlier this year, at Wizard World Chicago, I played pool with Paul Jenkins.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 08:57:44 PM »
I met Albert Ghiorso last summer and have a signed periodic table to prove it.  He was and still is a brilliant man.  I hope I'm half as nimble, social, and cognitive as he is when I'm his age.  That is, if I live that long.  It's amazing he's even alive, not to mention 92 years old, considering the radiation exposure he got while working on the Manhattan Project. 

The Albert Ghiorso Wiki page is severely inadequate.  For more info see http://www.lbl.gov/today/2005/Jul/11-Mon/ghiobio-jump.html

If anyone is interested let me know and  I'll see if I can get a copy of the video and/or slide show from the talk he gave that I attended.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 09:06:28 PM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 09:20:27 PM »
Oh. If we're going by as "famous" as random comic book authors and scientists, I've met plenty of that caliber.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 09:27:40 PM »
And actors?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 09:45:05 PM »
"... of that caliber."
Are you implying that random comic book authors and scientists are of a higher or lower caliber than actors? 

I would range their caliber this way:
Scientists > Random Comic Book Authors > Actors

If you are simply referring to how famous they are to the general public then you can probably reverse the above.  There are a few notable exceptions such as Albert Einstein and Richard Feynman.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 09:47:51 PM »
I met Frank Gorshin before he died. And I've met Peter Mayhew, talked to Bruce Boxleitner, and other people. Those are the three that I can think of right now as far as "famous" famous people go.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 11:04:24 PM »
Well, my grandma manages entertainment at the local fall fair--and my dad sometimes does security--so they've met loads of celebs. I, though, think that all the people of note I've encountered are Joan Jett (at said fair) and ex-prez Clinton (not directly, of course--I went to a rally at about age five... forgive me, nation, I chanted "four more years"...).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 11:29:18 PM »
My Mother met Walt Disney once. She was a little girl at the time, and my grandfather was an entrepenurial. I don't exactly know why my grandfather and Disney had a meeting, but they did, and my ma got to meet him.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 12:53:27 AM »
Well, my grandma manages entertainment at the local fall fair--and my dad sometimes does security--so they've met loads of celebs. I, though, think that all the people of note I've encountered are Joan Jett (at said fair) and ex-prez Clinton (not directly, of course--I went to a rally at about age five... forgive me, nation, I chanted "four more years"...).
Why are you asking for forgiveness? I though Clinton was a pretty good president.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 07:54:16 AM »
My family met AC/DC in a Best Buy, while I was playing Pokemon Stadium in the back.

I'm still kicking myself about that.

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 08:50:13 AM »
...and ex-prez Clinton (not directly, of course--I went to a rally at about age five... forgive me, nation, I chanted "four more years"...).

Ah dude, I loved president Clinton when I was a 5, for no reason other than he looked like a pretty nice guy. I was too young to know about politics, so I just picked to guy that looked best. :P
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 10:13:29 AM »
I met Mark Kistler (the Imagination Station drawing dude) at this thing when I was about eight, I think. He's what inspired me to start drawing, which is ironic, since I currently consider him the corniest thing since creamed corn.
every

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 11:17:27 AM »
I met Ray Park at a sci-fi expo. I also met the group Hanson a couple of weeks ago, my mom has been friends with their mom since high-school.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Print