Print

Author Topic: BEST IN SERIES? Week 7: First Boss  (Read 7059 times)

« on: March 11, 2008, 05:02:39 PM »
Around 4 days ago, Super Smash Bros Brawl was released. That's all you need to know on why I'm late again. Anyway, this recognizes the first major enemys that make a swipe at Mario/Wario/DK/Yoshi. Sometimes thier imposing. Sometimes thier small, and annoying.  Either way, these bosses can never be forgotten and are honored here.

Super Mario 64 (1)

King Bob-omb gave some great memories. Your vote.

Winners:
WEEK 1(Attacks): Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
WEEK 2(Final Boss Battle): Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.
WEEK 3(Music): Super Mario Galaxy
WEEK 4(Underwater Levels): Super Mario World
WEEK 5(Powerups): Super Mario Bros 3
WEEK 6(Bowser Level):Paper Mario

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 05:45:59 PM »
Bowser was the first boss in PM. Does he count?

If not, put a vote up for the Goomba King. He was right after Bowser in the same game.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 05:52:14 PM »
I'm casting two votes. (EDIT: nevermind, one vote)

New Super Mario Bros. That fight with   Bowser    in World 1 is awesome.(if easy)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 07:35:25 PM by blackcat12 »
Bowser and Bowser Jr: best villains EVER.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:10:56 PM »
I think the best first boss is Birdo in SMB2.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 10:32:49 PM »
Baby Bowser in PiT.  It showed that, even as a toddler, Mario could kick Koopa butt.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Sqrt2

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 07:14:21 AM »
Burt the Bashful in SMW: YI.

Killed due his trouser falling down = hilarious XD
AA fanboy and proud!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 08:05:19 PM »
Super Mario 64, but SMW and SMB2us are also cool. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 10:15:07 PM »
Super Mario 64, especially the third fight (gotta love the music there).

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 12:12:36 PM »
*makes list* Well, of those choices, maybe Larry from SMB3. Have to sometimes run under him when he jumps, very satisfying to get the first wand back. I may have also been on a SMB3 high at the time, because I had the player's guide (I can't frickin' believe I got rid of that) and thought Larry looked cute with the wand in his hand. Always enjoy seeing those Koopalings, so it's kind of a nostalgia thing.

Runner-ups:
SMB: Bowser (this should be first as its the most challenging and imposing, but it didn't wow me in presentation)
SML2: Bird at Tree Zone (more dramatic than Larry from SMB3, but not as challenging)
SML3: Spiky Turtle thing (pretty cute for a boss. Helps that he came at the end of Rice Beach, one of the better world names in the series)
SML: Lion thing at end of World 1-3 (annoying as heck, but I enjoyed the pain sounds it made when you hit it with fireballs)
SMW2: Burt the Bashful (sure, the Super FX or whatever effects were impressive at first, though I don't care for how you defeat him. Found Salvo the Slime more satisfying because you're constantly chipping away at him)
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 12:41:19 PM »
Fawful, from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Fawful speaks in broken English, or Engrish as I believe it is called. There was only one other that I could think that would be his fore-runner, and that is Bowyer, from Mario RPG.

He is not only the first boss, but if you let Bowser teach you about how enemies attack, Fawful will talk some more, making for a memorable tutorial and boss fight.

There is a fight that comes before this one, but it's against Bowser, and it's moreso a get used to the game kind of fight.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 07:06:44 PM »
Fawful, from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Fawful speaks in broken English, or Engrish as I believe it is called. There was only one other that I could think that would be his fore-runner, and that is Bowyer, from Mario RPG.

He is not only the first boss, but if you let Bowser teach you about how enemies attack, Fawful will talk some more, making for a memorable tutorial and boss fight.

There is a fight that comes before this one, but it's against Bowser, and it's moreso a get used to the game kind of fight.
Dang it'!  I wasn't sure if Fawful would count, since Bowser comes before him.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 07:45:39 PM »
If we allow Fawful that would completely change my vote. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 08:10:40 PM »
Yes, let Fawful be allowed so that I can actually cast a vote instead of having to pick a Bowser fight or Birdo.

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 08:35:01 PM »
Spoiled Rotten from Wario Land 4. Here's a screenshot from Wikipedia:

Such a strange and unique fight... the only issue was that you can't fight the boss again until you complete the game.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 08:56:23 PM by Ultima Shadow »
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 10:08:31 PM »
If we allow Fawful that would completely change my vote. 
qft
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print