Print

Author Topic: The best and most original channel (name) ever...The Nintendo Channel.  (Read 9063 times)

« on: May 07, 2008, 05:35:21 PM »
How do you guys like it? I think it's possibly the best channel they made so far. A lot of demos, but I don't like how almost all of them are of games that are all ready released, and aimed towards the casual crowd.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 05:52:29 PM »
It would be sort of a neat idea if there was a point to it. As it stands now it's kinda useless. Although I guess it's gonna give you DS demos.
That was a joke.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 06:00:39 PM »
I really need wifi.
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 08:24:44 PM »
Some of the DS demos actually were pretty nice, I enjoyed the Brain Age 2 demo, and would've enjoyed the DS Crosswords demo game more if it was Southpaw-friendly.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 11:35:33 PM »
I thought the Miyamoto interview on Wii Fit was rather interesting.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 03:49:43 AM »
Oh, so it's a sort of demo-download channel? From the article I read at Game|Life, coupled with a picture from that Miyamoto interview, at first I thought the Nintendo Channel was a webcam to spy on whatever Miyamoto was up to.

With a name like Nintendo Channel, I'd expect something more epic, more all-encompassing. Maybe like an online database of tips and tricks for all your favorite Wii games, like an online version of Nintendo Power. Or buy NP issues and Mario plushies and Mario Kart soundtracks off the channel. Just something more than demos.

The article at Game|Life does bring up a good point though: since it takes up even more blocks of space on your console, and lots of information is transferred to Nintendo when using the channel (including amount of free space available), maybe it will make Nintendo finally get the picture and up the storage limit.

With the N64 and GameCube, I'm sure many of us quickly went to a third-party memory card the first chance we got. And Sony Playstation 2, come to think of it. The thought of not having a third-party solution (that I know of) to deal with the small storage limit of Wii, while offering a multitude of Virtual Console games that people just might want to keep on their consoles and play... boggles my mind, this situation needs to be solved at some point during the Wii's lifespan.
But I will admit this, after hearing horror stories of third-party memory cards going corrupt (personally I've had a third-party PS2 mem card go corrupt), maybe they're onto something by staying with small limits for mem cards, just to keep it stable. I really can't imagine memory stability being an issue for Wii though, I'd say they just went cheap and didn't want to make the console any more expensive than it already was. Or they're firmly going for the casual crowd and figure no one will fill all that space.
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 06:59:48 AM »
I always just used the standard Nintendo memory cards... probably because I never played any Madden games.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 09:30:42 AM »
I never use anything but official memory cards. I don't know if you noticed, but the GCN Memory Card 1019 is actually rather large. Also, there isn't a way to increase the Wii's internal storage.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 10:19:05 AM »
Maybe penguinwizard was saying Nintendo should release an edition of the Wii with more memory, like what Sony did with their PS3 (40GB, 60GB, 80GB).  I find it sad that my SD card has almost triple the Wii's memory.

PS:  I only use official memory cards as well.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 10:37:14 AM »
People are going to buy a new Wii just to have more memory?
PS3 HD sizes are also functionality limits and aren't designed to be bought twice by the same person. That's why they've released more than one size at once.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 10:41:29 AM »
You'd be surprised at the level of obssession/perfectionism most people have (including me; not that I would buy another Wii just for the memory).

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 10:54:37 AM »
People have bought new DS Lites just for the color. Multiple times.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 10:55:08 AM »
May I point out that DS Lites aren't as expensive or rare as Wiis. Not that the people still aren't insane.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 10:57:41 AM »
Hey!  That's a stereotype and I'm offended!  Kidding.  Sort of.  I'm not completely insane, you see.

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 12:22:14 PM »
People are going to buy a new Wii just to have more memory?
PS3 HD sizes are also functionality limits and aren't designed to be bought twice by the same person. That's why they've released more than one size at once.

1) PS3 are a helluva lot more expensive than Wiis, and I feel your DS/Wii color argument holds more merit.

2) I would buy a new Wii if it had a Hard Drive, and also a new color/new colors (especially a MARIO one, hehe).

I've bought multiple DS's, even when they were 149.99, but you have to keep in mind most of the new colors I purchased came bundled with something (nintendogs, mario kart ds, etc). Unless Nintendo is going to bundle a new color with a hard drive, or something that holds more value, I doubt very few current owners will purchase a new almost 300 dollar system.

Agreed:

May I point out that DS Lites aren't as expensive or rare as Wiis. Not that the people still aren't insane.
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

Print