Print

Author Topic: What do your parents do?  (Read 7666 times)

« on: May 11, 2008, 06:58:05 PM »
While you were in school getting an edumacation, what were your parents doing to give them money?

I'll start with my mother. She took three years of college, and has, most of the time, taken clerical positions for various offices, as well as be a pre-school teacher and a barber, though she is currently unemployed, but my father has plans to change that.

My father, an artist at heart, has been doing advertising for a good while, and has had art director and creative director positions at Ogilvy & Mather, Publishers' Clearing House, and a local mattress dealer, Sleepy's. He has since quit Sleepy's a couple of years back and started his own agency, AdCount. He's got his own office and jointly runs it under the name of AdCount Direct, LLC with a woman in Marketing (her half of the agency is called Direct Drive).

He wants the company to expand into entertainment, though. He's been pitching a dark comedy TV show about an ad agency, and has got a lot of positive reactions from various people, many of them important enough to get the show on the air. He'd like it to appear on one of the movie channels so he'd have more creative freedom with it. My mother's going to have a prominent role in the show, as well.

This is the opening theme of the show.

(If you go on to YouTube and search "AdCount" and you'll see a couple of other videos of this show. The second result should be the opening theme.)

So what do your parents do?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 07:50:10 PM by Vidgmchtr »
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 07:08:35 PM »
My mom and dad both went to the University of Iowa. They also both current work at ACT (a college planning center). Mom works as a test editor and dad works as an accountant.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 07:12:25 PM »
How am I supposed to answer this when my (real) dad was a bum and lived off of SSI and child support?

Okay. I guess before he became that way, he worked in a furniture factory.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 07:13:54 PM »
Step and surrogate parents are fine, too.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 01:02:38 AM »
My dad's a clinical psychologist, and my mom's a substitute elementary-school teacher (she was a full time kindergarten teacher long ago). Speaking of teaching, my dad taught neuropsychology at Lower Columbia College for a brief time. I'm not sure, but he might have stopped from frustratration with his students. A more reasonable problem was poor wages. There's a picture of me in third grade holding a human brain over an enormous petri-dish type thing when I visited his class.

They both went to Washington State University, which is where they met. Whether or not I'll bother to try dating in college is up in the air.

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 12:32:59 PM »
My dad is a college teacher (agriculture, technology, and ag-tech) and my mom was a kindergarten teacher (nowadays, first grade).

I think this made me smart.

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 01:37:23 PM »
My father is Super Mario. I have said all! XD
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:34:48 PM by Super Caterina! »
It's meee, Super Caterina! =D

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 02:15:26 PM »
Eh, my dad mows lawns, and my mom works as a receptionist at a religious place.
every

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 02:29:40 PM »
My mom is a graphic designer who who seems to switch companies every couple of years. Currently she works for the United Way of Metropolitan Nashville, in the advertising department. Currently my dad works for a restaurant in some shopping center near here. (Yes, guitar players of the Fungi Forums, I know I told you he works for Gibson. He just recently left due to poor working conditions in his department and not being able to transfer out of it.)
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 03:31:09 PM »
My parents are co-owners of a chain of janitorial franchises, though my mom does most of the paperwork. I'm also one of their employees.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 04:12:53 PM »
My dad is a mehanical engineer, my mom is an accountant. Dad's job has been getting more and more stupid by the day and he really doesn't deserve to have to put up with what he does every day. The firm mom works for is losing its customers due to the economy being a pile of suck so she may be out a job soon.

YAY EVERYTHING
~I.S.~

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 04:37:38 PM »
My dad's the chairman and CEO for a company.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 04:50:12 PM by CrzyFlmngMnkyHead »
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 09:20:39 PM »
The company has 14 employees.
That was a joke.

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 12:06:45 AM »
Who're you talking about, Chup?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.