Poll

Do you play Homebrew Games?

Yes
5 (33.3%)
No
10 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Print

Author Topic: Do you Homebrew?  (Read 9757 times)

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 07:17:47 PM »
I don't like Homebrew at all. The people who created it ruined the Nintendo Wii. This is because now the Virtual Console is useless if you can get the games on there for free. That takes away money that Nintendo rightfully deserves. Emulation and hacking on a new system is just ridiculous; it ruins everything by creating so many problems in gaming communities and companies, and many skilled people can lose a match in a game because someone else decided to hack and cheat their way to achieve some goals.

Here's an example:

Once, I was playing Mario Kart Wii. I was playing Balloon Battle online, and one of my teammates was hacking. He stood in the middle of GBA Battle Course 3, and he had a permanent Mega Mushroom, Star, and he also had a constant supply of Winged Shells and Red Turtle Shells. We won the match so easily with barely any effort. Meanwhile, someone on the other team could've been an extremely good player with a very high BR rating, yet lost because some unskilled or unconfident player decided to hack.

I don't mind hacking in older games, but doing it for newer games is pointless. It takes the fun out of the generation that won't come back again. Besides, it's hard to enjoy the game in the first place when you have hackers and people not willing to pay an easily-obtainable $5 to get a game.

I just find it sad that people have to resort to such things, especially since they're able to afford the $250 for a Wii, however much for a computer, and online connectivity.

I respect the Brawl hacking teams for their effort, but I think what they're doing is pointless. What's the purpose of a texture hack, other than to look cool? You're just playing a character with a modified look. All characters' attacks remain the same, as well as the physics of the game and everything else it has to offer.

I completely respect that point. And yes, texture hacks are a wasted effort.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:59:57 PM by nensondubois »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 08:59:34 PM »
What you pretty much said was that BP was wasting his time
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 09:56:16 PM »
Think whatever you want--I take it as good experience. I want to be a game artist, so I love doing stuff for Stack Smash. I need to quit being so lazy though.

Not only that but it lets us put whatever characters we want in. Usually it's a skin-deep thing, with characters only looking like other characters... but Ike as Roy and Ness as Ninten aren't too big of stretches.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009, 10:32:51 PM »
Dear Hydrakiller, you are not listening. No one requires you to pirate games simply because the option exists. As I said, you don't have to pirate a certain game if you can buy it on Virtual Console. I buy VC games. I also put other games on my Wii that have never been released in America, released on VC, or translated. If they started translating things and officially releasing them through Virtual Console, I would be all over buying them.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009, 10:57:57 PM »
To me, homebrew is like, well, "home brew": I don't want to do it, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it if you're not getting out of control.

As for why I don't like it... well, I feel like it would sort of cheapen the game, make it feel more like a Lego set to be aimlessly toyed with, picked apart, and modified instead of appreciated as is, warts and all (I always made the exact thing the instructions were for and never changed it when I got those things as a kid... what does that tell you). I respect everyone else who wants to do it, though, and I think texture hacks and whatnot can produce some fabulous results.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2009, 12:12:21 AM »
I used to have a hard time building original Lego creations when I was a kid too, because I must have thought they were designed to only be put together one way or something.
That was a joke.

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 07:04:24 AM »
make it feel more like a Lego set to be aimlessly toyed with, picked apart, and modified
Now that's fun.

Print