Print

Author Topic: Mario Sports Mix  (Read 8645 times)

« on: June 16, 2010, 07:40:40 PM »
Can't believe there wasn't a topic about this one yet!

Again, no screenshots, just the press release.

Four great sports make their move to the Mushroom Kingdom: volleyball, basketball, ice hockey and dodgeball. All four are included on one game disc - a great value for Mario™ fans, sports fans and everyone in between.

Features:

The cast of Mushroom Kingdom characters get together to play sports - Mario style. While the basic rules of the games apply, each one includes some magical Mario twists like coins and special items that ramp up the craziness and fun.

While playing, gathering coins will build up bonus points. So when players score a point or basket, they also get the added bonus.
Players collect items like a Koopa Shell to use against their opponents. They can even use special items to beat up on the other team while shooting or spiking. One example of a special ball move is using a Mini Mushroom to shrink the ball before it's returned to the other side of the volleyball net.

Each character has a signature move that's almost impossible for opponents to stop. These include Mario's fireball moves or Princess Peach's heart-filled attacks.

In the field of play, a variety of tricks will keep players on their toes. On DK Dock, the volleyball court will continually slide to the left and right. On Bowser Jr. Blvd, the basketball court has bonus circles that frequently appear, offering both positive and negative bonuses that result in extreme point swings.

In each sport, play with up to three players cooperatively or with up to four players competitively in a two-on-two match (additional accessories required and are sold separately).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 07:47:42 PM »

Isn't this Squares second sports title?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 07:58:06 PM »
A Coin for a puck? Creative!
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 08:12:26 PM »
I like how the press release makes sure to point out that it's specifically ice hockey rather than just hockey in general, and then there's a shot of them doing it on the beach.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 08:16:39 PM »
It's beige ice, silly.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:12:53 PM »
I wonder if Toad will be playable? Probably not, but there's always hope.

I also wonder if Final Fantasy characters will be in this one too..?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 12:00:08 AM »
Is Square making it? Wikipedia says it's just Nintendo.

If Square is making it, it's another chance for them to bring Mallow and Geno back. Or, rather, another chance for me to pointlessly get my hopes up about that possibility only to be disappointed again.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 01:57:07 AM »
Yep, the fact sheet from Nintendo says the developer is Square Enix.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 06:38:32 AM »
 Mario Sports Mix                                                                     

Come Out and Play – On Mario’s Turf                                               
Four great sports make their move to the Mushroom Kingdom: volleyball, basketball, ice hockey and dodgeball. All four are included on one game disc – a great value for MarioTM fans, sports fans and everyone in between.

FEATURES:
• The cast of Mushroom Kingdom characters get together to play sports –   Mario style. While the basic rules of the games apply, each one includes some magical Mario twists like coins and special items that ramp up the  craziness and fun.
• While playing, gathering coins will build up bonus points. So when players score a point or basket, they also get the added bonus.
• Players collect items like a Koopa Shell to use against their opponents. They can even use special items to beat up on the other team while shooting or spiking. One example of a special ball move is using a Mini Mushroom to shrink the ball before it’s returned to the other side of the volleyball net.
• Each character has a signature move that’s almost impossible for opponents to stop. These include Mario’s fireball moves or Princess Peach’s heart-filled attacks.
• In the field of play, a variety of tricks will keep players on their toes. On DK Dock, the volleyball court will continually slide from left to right. On Bowser Jr. Blvd, the basketball court has bonus circles that frequently appear, offering both positive and negative bonuses that result in extreme point swings.
• In each sport, play with up to three players cooperatively or with up to four players competitively in a two-on-two match.
• Developer: Square Enix Co., Ltd.

Edit:  Images and art from the press site are now available here:  http://picasaweb.google.com/GoldMetalSonicE32010/MarioSportsMixWii#
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:58:56 AM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 03:13:06 PM »

Is it me or did Mario just dunk Luigi into the hoop?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 03:23:26 PM »
I think Luigi jumped up into the hoop to try and stop Mario from dunking the ball.  I'll have to rewatch the video to confirm though. 

Edit:  Actually you're nearly right.  He didn't exactly dunk Luigi though.  Mario seemed to knock Luigi into the next.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjBsNZw1aC8#t=52s
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:29:07 PM by Luigison »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 11:06:37 PM »
Well, I suppose it's better than making three or four separate, mediocre Mario sports games.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 11:20:32 AM »
Didn't the Mushroom Kingdom gang already try hockey and volleyball in Mario Party 5?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 06:08:37 PM »
You're calling out Nintendo for recycling things now?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 01:03:07 PM »
So I was browsing the image update, and saw this gem..

Look who they're playing as! YES!!

Print