Print

Author Topic: Things That Drive Me Nuts  (Read 72237 times)

« Reply #255 on: April 24, 2008, 09:55:24 PM »
-lists
-procrasti

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #256 on: April 24, 2008, 10:31:36 PM »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #257 on: April 25, 2008, 12:09:51 AM »
Federal Financial Aid and Scholarships exist for a reason.

They do. Can you believe I was denied a state grant because I wasn't considered by the state to be a full time student while I was by the college's standards?

Saying "I'm too poor" as your reason for not attending a 4 year college is a stupid excuse by lazy people.
Methinks you've not read the WHOLE story.

Just because I say "I'm too poor" for college doesn't mean I'm lazy. We tried getting loans and other aid. My parents are still burdened by the debt my brother had dropped on them when HE went to college.

Also, FYI, I didn't get accepted to the 4 year college I applied to, and they suggested I go to the community college first (which I did, for one semester) for awhile and then transfer over within a year or so.

Next thing that drives me nuts:
- People who tell me to seek financial aid when I have and just couldn't get any in the end
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #258 on: April 25, 2008, 12:32:33 AM »

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #259 on: April 25, 2008, 01:12:17 AM »
I have been waiting so long for that.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #260 on: April 25, 2008, 09:25:33 AM »
I was looking forward to a steering wheel on a pirate's crotch.
every

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #261 on: April 25, 2008, 12:04:05 PM »
Anyone who thinks it's impossible to be "too poor" for college is either rich or ignorant. But I repeat myself.

I mean, yea, you could take out a student loan, work a full-time $8/hr job while taking 16 credit hours of classes for four years, and have a nice $15k debt to pay off still after graduation because you were only paying off the interest during your classes. Not to mention rent/campus housing. Or food, or all the other expenses.

I mean, yea, it's possible to pay your way through college yourself, but right out of high school it might be infeasible altogether, especially if you're not rich enough to directly pay for school, but not poor enough to get government aid. "Middle class poor", if you will. In fact, my very definition of "middle class poor" is any family that can pay their daily expenses but can't get the aid or loans required to pay a child through college. It's more common than you think.
~I.S.~

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #262 on: April 25, 2008, 03:18:19 PM »
I was looking forward to a steering wheel on a pirate's crotch.
It's driving me nuts!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #263 on: April 25, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
They do. Can you believe I was denied a state grant because I wasn't considered by the state to be a full time student while I was by the college's standards?
You mean to say you weren't going to school regularly?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #264 on: April 25, 2008, 09:44:56 PM »
- ANGST Thread clones.

But this thread came before the ANGST Thread....
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #265 on: April 25, 2008, 10:04:32 PM »
You mean to say you weren't going to school regularly?
What? No.

Being a full time student at a college means you're taking a certain amount of classes in one semester. If you're taking less than the college's set amount of credits worth of classes, you're a part time student. You probably have other important things taking time in your schedule, work, family, etc. and don't have an ideal amount of time for taking classes, so you only take one or two.

According to the state, I needed 15 credits worth of classes to be considered a full time student, as well as for the grant I was signed up for. But, according to the college, I only needed 12 to be full time. I started out my semester with 15.5 credits of classes, more than enough. Had I been TOLD from the start I needed 15 for the grant, I wouldn't've dropped a class I felt wasn't necessary. The majority of the semester, I had 12.5 credits worth of classes. So while I was full time in the college, the state didn't deem this enough.

So, no grant, no money, no college again until August 2008.

But GUESS WHAT!

« Reply #266 on: April 25, 2008, 10:09:50 PM »
Ah, thought you meant part time high school student.

« Reply #267 on: April 25, 2008, 10:11:38 PM »
Dude didn't you see my diploma in the picture thread?

« Reply #268 on: April 25, 2008, 10:13:39 PM »
Yeah. But I didn't research my question. I'm not that concerned about it.

Luigison

• Old Person™
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print