Print

Author Topic: What've you been reading?  (Read 30193 times)

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2007, 09:39:55 PM »
I like it. Sounds very surreal!
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2007, 08:29:51 PM »
Double post. Kill me if you must. But, I was wondering if anyone else here reads Charles Bukowski? Right now I'm reading Ham on Rye by the aforementioned genius. I recommend Bukowski to anyone who savors a good ol' chuckle or a good ol' questioning of humanity itself. It's good stuff.

« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2007, 02:15:36 PM »
I just read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, and I'm reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, as well as rereading George Orwell's 1984, and I was about to start Moby-Dick by Herman Melville.  Heart of Darkness and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest are for my Lit class, though, so I don't really think of them the same as reading just for reading.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2007, 12:30:23 PM »
I'm reading J.K. Rowlings' "Order of the Phoenix." It's a great book.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2007, 01:04:22 AM »
I just read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, and I'm reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, as well as rereading George Orwell's 1984, and I was about to start Moby-Dick by Herman Melville.  Heart of Darkness and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest are for my Lit class, though, so I don't really think of them the same as reading just for reading.
Man, Kesey's a genius. I just finished The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe, which is pretty much all about Kesey and his merry pranksters.

« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2007, 04:05:39 PM »
Not reading anything at the moment, but I've become a huge fan of the "Redwall" series. Started reading it May 2005, finished the entire series (up to High Rhulain) one year later. My favorite book series, the only book series to have made me cry. Just really struck a chord with me, and I can't count how much I've written about the Redwall series since then. It is over 18 books long though.

And before Redwall, back in January 2005, I read "Watership Down". As much as I love the Redwall series, I think Watership Down's slightly better. Best character development I've ever seen.
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
Jacques kind of lost his touch after the end of the intended trilogy, in my opinion. I thought the first three were pretty great, though.
That was a joke.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2007, 09:33:38 PM »
I've started to read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and I can really see what Grace Slick meant when she wrote White Rabbit. This book has serious drug-related undertones. I hate starting books when I'm halfway through other ones, I still have to finish Ender's Game, as well as The Crucible for school.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #143 on: December 03, 2007, 12:36:55 PM »
I just read "Mere Christianity" and "The Great Divorce" both by C. S. Lewis. I would suggest that both Christians and non-Christians alike read "Mere Christianity". It's an intelligent commentary on the religion. Non-Christians can read it as a kind of test against faith; if you read the book and still don't believe you can call yourself a true unbeliever!

Print