Print

Author Topic: Extremely confusing Mario plot...  (Read 3242 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: August 04, 2003, 10:23:16 AM »
Nintendo keeps changing the plotline of the Mario games so much, that it's now near impossible to know the real story.

I'll try to figure it out by retelling part of the story here:

In the beginning, a stork was carrying two babies over to their parents home. An evil Magikoopa named Kamek knew these two babies would someday topple the Koopa Empire, so he set out to capture them. He managed to take one, but the other one fell out of his grasp, and onto a large island called Yoshi's Island.

The Yoshi's helped the baby, called Baby Mario, traverse across the island to find his brother, Baby Luigi. They get to Kamek's fortress and find that he is working for an even greater foe, Baby Bowser. Thus their first battle begins. Baby Mario and Yoshi defeat Baby Bowser and rescue Baby Luigi, then the stork returns the babies safely to their parents.

A few years later, Baby Bowser is up to his old tricks again. This time he steals the Super Happy Tree, the single source that makes Yoshi's Island peaceful. The Yoshi's manage to find and fight Baby Bowser alone, without the help of Baby Bario. They defeat Baby Bowser for a second time and rescue their Happy Tree.

When the Mario Bros. reach adulthood, they get a job in the plumbing industry. During one of their jobs, they stumble into a sewer with creatures crawling out of the pipes. They defeat all of the creatures, only to find a secret pipe that leads to another dimension. They enter the pipe, wondering where it would take them.

The pipe takes them to a strange land called the Mushroom Kingdom. The King tells them that a strange monster known as Bowser has captured their beloved Princess Toadstool and has invaded the land with his evil Koopa Empire. The Mario Bros. fight all of Bowser's minions, and eventually make it to Bowser's final fortress. The Mario Bros. defeat Bowser and rescue the Princess, who becomes their lifelong friend.

A few years later, Mario has a strange dream that he is climbing a huge flight of stairs,a nd finds a secret door that leads to an alternate dimension. He tells Princess Toadstool about it, and she says not to worry. Later on, the Mario Bros. Toad, and Princess Toadstool go out for a picnic. They discover a cave with a secret door that leads directly to the alternate dimension that Mario was dreaming about.

The Mario Bros., Princess Toadstool, and Toad discover the world, known as Sub-Con, has been invaded by a monstrous frog known as Wart. The Mario Bros., Princess Toadstool, and Toad find Wart, defeat him, and restore peace to the land of Sub-Con.

Upon their return to the Mushroom Kingdom, the Mario Bros., Princess Toadstool, and Toad discover that Bowser has invaded the land once again, only this time, he has sent his Koopa Kids out to invade the seven lands of the Mushroom Kindom: Grass Land, Water Land, Desert Land, Giant Land, Sky Land, Ice Land, Pipe Land. The Koopa Kids also transformed each of the Kings of these ands into animals. The Mario Bros. travel across the seven lands and rescue the Kings, defeating each of Bowser's Koopa Kids in the process. When they get to the final land, Dark Land, they find that Bowser has captured the Princess and has held her captive atop his huge castle. The Mario Bros. find Bowser and defeat him, and rescue Princess Peach.

A few years Later, the Mario Bros. and Princess Toadstool go on a vacation to Dinosaur Land. While Mario and Luigi are relaxing on the beach, Princess Toadstool is captured by one of Bowser's Koopa Kids. When the Mario Bros. wake up and find her missing, they search the land for clues.

The Mario Bros. then find a dinosaur named Yoshi, who tells them that he saw "monstrous turtles" scouting the area. Mario and Luigi know that Bowser and his Koopa Kids are here, so they set out in pursuit to find and rescue Princess Toadstool from Bowser's evil clutches.

Yoshi decides to help them by giving Mario and Luigi a magical yellow cape, which allows them to fly. The Mario Bros., Yoshi find and defeat Bowser and his Koopa Kids yet again. Then Mario, Luigi, and Princess Toadstool return home to the Mushrom Kingdom.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, if Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story are prequels to the Mario series, then why do Baby Bowser and Baby Mario appear in the same games with the adult Mario characters? Also, why does Yoshi seem to not know Mario and Luigi in Super Mario World, when he helped them out in Yoshi's Island when they were babies?

Edited by - Mario Maniac on 8/4/2003 9:48:50 AM
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 10:36:51 AM »
My guess is an error in the space-time continuum...

--------------------
Deep inside us all is a little green elf telling us to burn things.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Yos

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 10:38:46 AM »
It's Master Hand's doing! It's all his fault!

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 12:03:47 PM »
Miyamoto really doesn't seem like the kind of guy who cares about story. He just wants to make fun and innovative games. He's said over and over that he doesn't want his games' potential to be somehow limited by tying down his characters to strict plot limits. I don't even think he has anything to do with the stories! Some random guy probably takes the game after it has been in development for quite some time and slaps a nice little story on it. This story doesn't necessarily have to fit any of the other random guys' stories.

Also, all the games with mixed-up character choices (Mario Party, Mario Golf, etc.) aren't even developed by Nintendo.

So basically, my life will be happier if no more "Mario Messed Up Story" threads appear. :P

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven!”

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 01:21:15 PM »
Another little plothole is Super Mario World. We get the distinct impression that Mario and Yoshi have never met before. This would make sense from Mario's point of view, since he was but a baby Mario when the two of them first met. But Yoshi...You'd think the Yoshi clan would recognize Mario with his hat. Even if it was a new generation of Yoshi's, possibly the generation raised In Yoshi's Story, you'd think that the Yoshi's would have passed down a legend of some sort. You know, "The Legend of the Great Baby Crossing" or something.

As for when Mario and Baby Mario appear together on screen, I wouldn't consider it canon. That's just the programmers of whatever game really desperate for another character.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 01:36:15 PM »
He said that in the end of his post, but yeah.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2003, 11:04:31 PM »
I hate topics like this.

Eccentricity is my goal.
That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 06:08:47 AM »
Me two.

Of course the "Mario Story" (if there really is one) would never make any sense, because the game SMB2 didn't start out as a Mario game.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 10:09:54 AM »
If you only take in to account first-party Mario games, it's not that bad.

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 05:36:39 PM »
Me three.
 n/a

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 06:21:28 PM »
Me four. (And mafter.)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 10:05:24 PM »
This isn't even about the so-called "plot."
Camelot and Hudson foolishly decided to use the "baby" characters to add more things to games.

And Yoshi didn't know about Mario in SMW because they didn't think of YI 'till 1995.

So... shaddup.

Eccentricity is my goal.
That was a joke.

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2003, 08:08:18 PM »
There are some things not meant to be questioned. Like, is there life out there? What happens after you die? Where on earth did Shigeru Miyamoto get the idea of making a game featuring a chubby plumber that eats mushrooms and jumps on turtles? But, this isn't one of them. You should question this. Unfortunetly, I don't know. If I did I would take up alot less space on this post, and you wouldn't be reading this. You know, you must be pretty bored if you're still reading. Yup, I've got nothing to say. So you may stop reading and click on that button in the bottom righthand corner of your screen that looks like an upside-down triangle. It lets you scroll down and see many posts that are much more interesting than this one. If you're still reading, stop it! NOW!
Your sig is annoying. -Deezer

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2003, 08:36:49 PM »
Please don't read this post, either.

People constantly question if life is out there and what happens when we die. If those matters aren't supposed to be questioned, I guess we're all in trouble? Personally, I guess it's my scientific nature, also, to question everything.

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2003, 09:38:12 PM »
It was a nice read none the less. Makes you want to write a Mario novel of sorts and get sued.
No, really, I did get SMA4 six days early.

Print