Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Galaxy released early?  (Read 10008 times)

« on: October 26, 2007, 01:22:47 PM »
I was at a local Wal-Mart, at the electronics. Asking the game manager about the release of "Super Mario Galaxy", he told me it was going to be released on October 30th??? ...At Midnight??? And that you can't preorder it, and you can't get a coin. What the heck?

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 01:55:12 PM »
Dude, don't believe everything you here. SMG comes out November 12. The guy probably made a mistake.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 01:55:39 PM »
First Mistake: Going to Wal-Mart
Second Mistake: Asking about video games there
Third Mistake: Believing what the people there, who obviously know nothing about video games, say.

Solution: Go to GameStop, or EB, or whatever you have around where you live. You can pre-order games there, and get a coin. And they know what they're talking about.

Oh, and Galaxy's coming out on November 12th.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 02:03:10 PM »
Third Mistake: Believing what the people there, who obviously know nothing about video games, say.

Solution: Go to GameStop, or EB, or whatever you have around where you live. You can pre-order games there, and get a coin. And they know what they're talking about.

I preordered the game at my local Game Stop, but I didn't get a coin...
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 02:09:07 PM »
How do you get the coin anyway? Do you just stop by and get it with the game, or could you get it before the release of the game?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 02:16:02 PM »
But hey, if you do manage to get it early, more power to you.  Breaking the release date has happened fairly frequently, but seeing as how Nintendo doesn't ship the games out until release day, it's more unlikely.

Also, GameStop/EB people aren't going to be much more reliable than Wal-Mart people.  A lot of them just make up stuff to seem like they know what they're talking about or to try to get you to preorder stuff.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 05:01:25 PM »
I preordered it at GameStop before the coin was announced. I'll have to ask for it when I go to pick up my copy.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 05:14:36 PM »
I bought my latest game at Wal-Mart and not at EB. It's not like one is more corporately good than another one. What's the deal with this new mentality anyway?
That was a joke.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 05:28:39 PM »
My "Local Store" is a Meijer, which is even worse, as they get thier games 2 MONTHS after the release date. Wal-Mart is far away, and it's ususally better. I don't have a EB games...

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 05:42:56 PM »
I usually shop at Target, and when they don't have it, I'll check GameStop (which usually won't if Target didn't). It's just across the parking lot.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 05:53:41 PM »
I preordered at Toys R' Us yesterday, but I didn't get a coin either.

Oh well. The game itself will probably be worth the money.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 07:20:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to get the coin when you pick up the game.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 09:04:59 PM »
I usually shop at Target, and when they don't have it, I'll check GameStop (which usually won't if Target didn't). It's just across the parking lot.
Wow, that's my exact situation too. Except more and more often the GameStop does have it when Target doesn't.

And they never try to get me to pre-order stuff or buy magazines anymore! What the heck, GameStop? Stop making it so hard to hate you!

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 11:35:08 PM »
Actually, when preordering mine, I tried Target first. The guy there told me that another guy ran this type of thing at both at Target and GameStop right across the parking lot.

I think Target acquired GameStop.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 02:35:38 AM »
I think Target acquired GameStop.
Is this a joke?  Barnes & Noble owns GameStop/ebgames/Software, etc./Funcoland

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 02:59:54 AM »
Nah man, it's because three of us in a row just mentioned getting funneled to GameStop by Target.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 12:20:33 PM »
I can't remember if I ever participated in one of those "preorder___and get a free___" things, but if I did, I'm sure it didn't work. There was, of course, those times I bought Wind Waker and Wario World at K-Mart... they gave out guides with them, but totally ****ed up the covers with these massive "free with players guide at K-mart" printed DIRECTLY ON THE COVER. Not a sticker!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 06:07:01 AM »
Poeple, here's the deal. When you perorder Super Mario Galaxy, you go to the store to pick it up (duh). If you preordered it before they said you get the free coin, you still get the free coin. And you pick it up with the game. If your having it delivered to your house (like myself) then i dont know.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 10:45:15 AM »
I got a free towel with Super Mario Sunshine.
It's still in its plastic.
That was a joke.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 10:57:10 AM »
You can always order them online, so if theres a mistake, it's their mistake******.

******usually...
"it's always the present"

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 02:18:12 PM »
That towel seems pretty cool.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 07:30:03 PM »
Breaking the release date has happened fairly frequently, but seeing as how Nintendo doesn't ship the games out until release day
I don't think that's true, for a few reasons:

#1: You can't ship games that quickly. You think they shipped the Wiis on the release date? You wouldn't get them until the day after the release date.
#2: I went to Future Shop (on the official Nintendo release date) and asked if they had it. They said it was in the back/storage room, but they couldn't give it to me, because the release date (for Future Shop) was the next day. I went to Wal-Mart the same day and bought it there.
P.S. It was in EB Games too.

Conclusion: It is possible to break the release date, but only if theres some kind of mistake with the staff/computer or something.

You can probably tell that I'm VERY bored....
"it's always the present"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 12:35:37 AM »
Generally, Nintendo's games don't show up on shelves until a day or so after release. MB never said they didn't ship the systems out earlier.
That was a joke.

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2007, 04:04:02 PM »
I can't wait for it to come out! Anyway, both of my nearby EB Games get the games like a week,3 days bfore it comes out.

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 06:06:58 PM »

The people at GameStop know nothing, I asked some guy working there about the release date of The Bigs fo Wii, and he said that it wasn't coming out for Wii...
Then about 2 days later I went to BestBuy and got The Bigs for Wii!!!!!!!!
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 06:38:40 PM »
Could someone tell me what this so-called "coin" is?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 06:57:45 PM »

It comes in a nice Luma-decorated cardboard box just about the same size as a Wii game box with a tiny certificate of authenticity. My box coin is in the box in the plastic sleeve it came in, and that's in my closet.
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 07:08:51 PM »
Definitely didn't get one those. >_< 

I don't think the people at my local Software Etc. know all that much when it comes to the indepth perspective of video games.  Then again, some of them probably don't play video games for a living.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

silverstarman

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 07:45:48 PM »
It comes in a nice Luma-decorated cardboard box just about the same size as a Wii game box with a tiny certificate of authenticity. My box coin is in the box in the plastic sleeve it came in, and that's in my closet.

How do you get one? Does it come with the game, or what?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 09:15:03 PM »
If you preordered, you'll get it free. But you have to ask for it, or the clueless dude who only works there one day a week won't know to give it to you. This is for GameStop and Target only, I believe...
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
you have to ask for it, or the clueless dude who only works there one day a week won't know to give it to you.
I wish I knew that earlier.  I'll remember that for any future pre-order packages.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

silverstarman

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2007, 06:09:17 AM »
If you preordered, you'll get it free. But you have to ask for it, or the clueless dude who only works there one day a week won't know to give it to you. This is for GameStop and Target only, I believe...

How about EB games, and do you have to pay for it? If so, how much?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 11:00:04 AM »
EB is part of GameStop. It was also at Toys R Us.
You don't have to pay for it if you preordered. If you didn't preorder, you can't get the coin.
That was a joke.

Print