Poll

Was it a waste of time?

Yes, I'd much rather fight Bowser!
No, it was a nice break from gameplay.
What's the storybook?
I'm waiting until I unlock all the chapters to read it.
Heck, anything's better than Ray Surfing!
Print

Author Topic: Rosalina's Storybook in SMG (possible spoilers)  (Read 10450 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« on: April 29, 2008, 05:21:07 PM »
So, a lot of reviews I've read on Galaxy say the storybook is an unnecessary waste of time, which got me thinking: what do all you Mario fans think about it? 

Personally, I thought it was a nice touch.  Unnecessary?  Maybe.  A waste of time?  Never!
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 05:30:50 PM »
I thought it was kind of neat and useless at the same time.
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 05:33:27 PM »
I went with the Ray Surfing option. Even though Surfing was different (different than collect this, collect that) it's still really difficult. I prefer the Blooper surfing in SMS to this.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 05:51:23 PM »
I think it was actually kind of a cool feature that really enhanced the plot. I mean, you don't have to read it if you don't want to...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 06:31:38 PM »
I think it was a nice addition. I guess I can see how it would be viewed as bad since it really isn't worked into gameplay, but then again it is optional.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 06:32:52 PM »
I thought it felt out of place and the style was more like Elebits.  
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 06:38:42 PM »
I'd rather have a diary of Rosalina than this. Maybe then I could tell if she was more emo now or then. (PS. I love emo)

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 08:08:48 PM »
Having a backstory of a character is always nice, even better if it's a Mario character, since the series isn't known for character development.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 06:07:57 AM »
I'd rather have a diary of Rosalina than this. Maybe then I could tell if she was more emo now or then. (PS. I love emo)

Emo?  If she were emo, she wouldn't be wearing a white dress.  But then again, I didn't expect her to wear a sweat outfit, and then along comes MKWii.  Still, Rosalina's diary would have been interesting, possibly funny.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 03:48:08 PM »
I definitely enjoyed it. It was a nice break from the game and offered a plot that backed up the game. I would've liked it if the main story was a bit more epic, but it doesn't matter much now since the game was that awesome and all.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 09:08:39 PM »
I liked the illustrations a lot. That was some nice artwork. I was also surprised that it dealt with something a little weightier than most Mario games.

I'll put it in Spoilers:  How Rosalina copes with the death of her mother. I went back and re -read the story book and at first she just says that her mom is in the wind, and the stars. It isn't until nearer to the end that she really comes to grip with the fact her mom is dead. That sort of thing can be pretty brutal, even or adults.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

Sqrt2

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 03:12:59 AM »
It was a bit pointless I thought, and although I welcome the character development, I think it was a waste of disk storage space.
AA fanboy and proud!

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 04:31:35 AM »
So, a lot of reviews I've read on Galaxy say the storybook is an unnecessary waste of time, which got me thinking: what do all you Mario fans think about it? 

Personally, I thought it was a nice touch.  Unnecessary?  Maybe.  A waste of time?  Never!

It wasn't a waste of time: it was only a choice. If you don't want to read the Rosalin's storybook, you only need to avoid going inside the library! XD

By the way, I think it was pretty cute, but when IU plaied with Luigi in Mario Galaxy, I avoided it! ^_^''
It's meee, Super Caterina! =D

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 10:25:15 AM »
And why is that Luigi?

Luigi:  "She doesn'ta want me to know abouta Rosalina's dead mother!"

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »
Okay, so, I feel a little awkward reviving this (4-year-old!) topic, but I didn't think creating an entirely new topic was worth it, so...

I put the entirety of Rosalina's Storybook into an online format, for anyone interested. It contains pictures ripped from the game, as well as has the text formatted the way it appears in game, at least as closely as I could do. I thought the story was lovely and deserved to be put online somewhere.

In response to the topic at hand, I personally loved the addition of the storybook. It was unobtrusive to game-play, yet added a wonderful layer of depth to Rosalina's character, the game, and possibly the Mario universe as a whole.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 03:11:15 PM »
Oh, wow, this thread.

Oh, wow, the storybook.  Maybe I've become more of a sap over time, but I think I might actually appreciate it more now.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 03:39:01 PM »
That's awesome Sapphira.  Didn't you do something similar with Paper Mario dialogue? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 04:07:26 PM »
Thanks!  ^_^
...No? A long time ago, I wrote down all the dialogue for Paper Mario, but I never typed it up or uploaded it or anything. At least I don't think I did.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Print