Poll

Do you play Homebrew Games?

Yes
5 (33.3%)
No
10 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Print

Author Topic: Do you Homebrew?  (Read 9743 times)

« on: February 14, 2009, 08:57:12 PM »
I'm thinking about joining the Homebrew Community, but I'm not sure how to get started. I've heard and read about the Twilight Hack but I don't have that game yet (then go buy it, right?) well, because I just don't feel like buying it right now, but I will in the near future. I also wonder about Homebrew on the DS. How exactly does it work and were can I obtain the tools? Also what's it like being in the Homebrew Community. What are the ups and downs to it and stuff like that.

EDIT: And is it wrong to Homebrew?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:39:52 PM by FlamingBlueMardio »
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 10:40:17 PM »
The title of this thread is deceiving. On a related note: PM me if you would like to discuss proper moonshine techniques.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 11:00:06 PM »
It is most certainly not wrong to use homebrew software. Some of the stuff you can do with homebrew is pushing the boundaries of goodness and niceness though. Anyway, I don't play many homebrew games because there aren't a lot that are good, but homebrew utilities and such (and emulators, for translations and only-English-in-PAL games) are useful. DS homebrew requires devices which I doubt we should be discussing here.
That was a joke.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 12:04:07 AM »
EDIT: And is it wrong to Homebrew?
It violates the End User License Agreement of the Wii, so such use may be illegal, voids any warranty, and is a breach of the agreement so Nintendo could legally sue you to at least take away your Wii.

If you consider breaking a contract you entered into wrong, then yes, it's wrong.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 12:13:38 AM »
Specifically:

Chapter II: Unauthorized Software, Services, or Devices or Unlicensed Accessories

Your Wii Console and the Wii Network Service are not designed for use with unauthorized software, services, or devices or non-licensed accessories, and you may not use any of these with your Wii Console or the Wii Network Service. Such use may be illegal, voids any warranty, and is a breach of this agreement. Such use may also lead to injury to you or others or cause performance issues or damage to your Wii Console or the Wii Network Service. We (and our licensees and distributors) are not responsible for damage or loss caused by unauthorized software, services or devices or non-licensed accessories. We may take steps to disable or delete any unauthorized software, services or device installed in your Wii Console, for example, by detecting and disabling them through the Wii Network Service and/or game software. If we detect unauthorized software, services, or devices, your access to the Wii Network Service may be disabled and/or the Wii Console or games may be unplayable.

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 12:27:14 AM »
My sister thought it was called "The Hebrew Channel"

Anyways, yes. I do Homebrew.
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 12:34:05 AM »
I don't want to encourage homebrewing or anything like that. Just wondering how it worked and stuff. I was also wondering why some people hate it, while others love it. I decided not to go Homebrew and just stick to buying and downloading stuff the right way.

No way do I want to get sued by the big Nintendo...or any other company, for that matter.
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 12:55:49 AM »
Nintendo could sue you but there's pretty much completely no chance they ever would.
That was a joke.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 07:01:52 AM »
I try to homebrew, but fail miserably.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 08:59:40 AM »
I don't know much about homebrew, which is why and because I don't do it.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 02:29:32 PM »
I don't homebrew and never plan to but I absolutely encourage it just because I feel you should have total rights and control over the property you paid for, and really, even some you don't. I've got the same stance on DRM.
every

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 02:45:31 PM »
DRM?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 03:05:20 PM »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »
Glorb is right. Creating programs for your video game consoles is no more evil than putting a bumper sticker on your car. Homebrew is great for amateur programmers. It just gets a negative image from piracy (including emulation) and cheating.

Emulation is really not as evil as everyone makes it out to be. It's not illegal to have an emulator--the ROMs are the ulawful part. Even then, think about this: Thanks to emulators for the Wii (except for Wii64, it still sucks), I could play almost any game I own with just the Wii or 360. I own Super Mario All-Stars, so why is it different that I play it on the Wii, reading it from an SD card, with a Classic Controller than if I play it on the SNES, reading it from a SNES cart, with a SNES controller? It's understandable that this theoretical freedom is voided when the game hits the Virtual Console, I suppose, but...

I only use cheats to get more freedom in the game. Brawl: I remove camera limitations, I make for overlapping in the stage builder, I make it allow for longer replays to be saved, and that's all. Super Mario Galaxy: I can swap between Mario and Skeletal Mario (from the death-by-electrocution animation) with the press of a button-FUN! I can also access powerups whenever I like, but guess wha I've used that to do? Explore areas at my will. Not cheat my way to stars. I got all 120 for Mario anyway. I disapprove of cheats being used to really cheat. It's no fun that way anyway.

An of course I love homebrew--how else would Stack Smash be going without it? Homebrew haters, I ask, do you at least respect the Brawl hacking teams?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 03:35:25 PM »
The whole concept of EULAs and all that is based on a really lousy interpretation of outdated copyright laws. Back when they had the room-sized computers where you got programs on index cards with holes punched into them, the companies selling the packs of cards realized that under current law, it was technically illegal for anyone to use their programs, since it required copying the program off the cards into the computer. So they used that loophole to say that you don't actually own the program, but have merely signed a contract that allows you to use their program in certain ways. We really need to get around to fixing that.

I dabble in homebrew, mostly for emulation, but only for games that I've bought on the VC or that aren't available on the VC yet, or for ROM hacks which are usually so different that they pretty much should count as new games. As long as I stick to that, the only people I'm hurting are GameStop and eBay, who Nintendo doesn't like anyway. If a game I have a ROM of gets released on the VC, I delete my copy and, unless I hated it and only played it once or twice, buy the VC version as soon as I get some points.

Summary: It technically violates the letter of the law. In my opinion, the laws as they currently stand/are interpreted violate the spirit of the law. Morally, it's up to you to decide.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print