Print

Author Topic: WarpRattler's Comic Convention Extravaganza 2009  (Read 6536 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« on: August 10, 2009, 01:40:39 AM »
After posting in the HOPEFUL thread about this one year and having it end up being entirely pointless...I present one man's account of the Chicago Comic-Con & Video Game Expo (formerly known as Wizard World Chicago, and in fact still labeled as Wizard World Chicago in many places).

Prologue

When did I stop believing in Santa Claus? In truth, this sort of silly question holds no real significance for me. However, if you were to ask me when I stopped believing that the old man wearing the red costume was Santa, then, I can confidently say, "I have never believed in Santa, ever." I knew that the Santa who appeared at m

The car ride to Iowa a week before the convention was largely uneventful and dull. After wasting a lot of time in Decatur buying some last supplies for the trip (which largely killed my netbook), we finally hit the road for real. I watched episodes of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya until the laptop ran out of power (before we left, I copied every episode I downloaded over to the netbook so I'd finally be able to watch them), and played a lot of Aria of Sorrow after that until we got there.

Our arrival and first day at my relatives' house in Iowa was, like the trip, uneventful. As everyone except me was cosplaying this year, I had a lot of time to sit on this computer and chat in #tmk. (The Internet connection here is dial-up, sadly.)

We spent almost a week in Iowa. During this time, I finished almost two runs of Cave Story (the second run is still unfinished, as I'm stuck in Hell), got Kalee to start playing Cave Story, proved to the denizens of #tmk that Kalee exists, played a lot of Ketsui Death Label, acquired a few PC games, finished Aria of Sorrow (good end, of course), and largely utilized much of the same sleep schedule I have at home.

I finished watching season one of Haruhi, and went to begin on season two - after watching the first episode, I discovered that for whatever reason, the newer version of Media Player Classic I was using didn't want to display subtitles on the rest of the episodes, and it wasn't until the night before we left that I downloaded the real version (and codecs) and found that I was able to watch them (more on that later).

Anyway, I did a lot of neat stuff here that week. I finally tried G-TYPE, the fanmade Gradius-R-TYPE-Darius mash-up game, and found that the idea works pretty well (not surprising, since those three series consist for the most part of horizontally-scrolling shmups). I painstakingly copy-pasted the first three fan-translated Haruhi light novels and preserved the formatting (for those who don't know, when I get into a series nowadays, I tend to get a bit obsessed for a while). I also saw a non-PBS television station sign off for the night and looked at some of the other "tame" 4chan boards I hadn't checked out in the past.

Chapter 1

As with the ride to Iowa from home, the ride from Iowa to Chicago was largely uneventful. (I'm trying to think of a car ride this year that was particularly memorable and having great difficulty doing so.) We arrived at the hotel, checked in, and got into our rooms for about half an hour of rest before heading to the convention center for preview night. What we would find there would be horrifying and absolutely disgusting.

No DC.
No Marvel.
No Wizards of the Coast.
Autographs only.
Final Destination.

For those who don't want to fight with the meme, DC, Marvel, and Wizards of the Coast - easily the three largest companies that normally appear at the convention - had no floor presence whatsoever. Sure, DC and Marvel had a few panels, but those were of no importance whatsoever. Instead, a large chunk of the standard commercial floor space had been given to autograph sessions involving stars I don't give a rat's ass about.

Also something about Final Destination, I guess. Anyway, the point is, this convention set itself up to be garbage from the moment we entered the show. Preview night, for the most part, sucked - some vendors were just beginning to unpack, many of the tables in Artist's Alley were empty, and approximately none of the big booths were worth stopping at. However, what I saw of what was there ended up being good - though nothing can make up for the distinct lack of free Magic cards and DC Nation buttons, overall I had fun the first day. We later went shopping for a few items for my brother's costume and food for the hotel room. We discovered that the Wal-Mart was being converted into a SuperCenter, and were able to get all of the food items we needed there instead of having to then drive over to Meijer or Jewel Osco to do so. I also picked up five boxes of Pocky, because I knew I'd need snacks for the convention.

Later that night, I finally got around to watching episode two of season two (for those who have been following the anime, that's episode one of the Endless Eight arc). I then went to watch episode three, only to find that my netbook seemingly lacks the power necessary to play .mkv files of that quality. I won't be able to watch episodes three through eight (and so on, since there should be at least two more episodes for me to download) until I get home.

Chapter 2 and so on to come when I get to my house. Things to come: Purchases! Energy drinks! Raffles! Sketches! Walking! Pocky! Costumes! Stories of the failings of Wi-Fi!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 02:30:17 AM »
Pocky's a bit too expensive for me to buy in large amounts, although I enjoy it greatly. Looking forward to what will surely be a breathtaking narrative!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 03:18:08 AM »
Yeah, I didn't buy a lot of Pocky - I just wanted something that would be easy to carry around in the bag I've been using for my netbook, and I was able to put four of the boxes in the front pocket. Looking back now, I should've bought two boxes of chocolate and three of strawberry that day instead of four and one - including the extra box my dad bought me when he went to Wal-Mart again one night, I've eaten five boxes of strawberry Pocky in the last few days, and I'm getting kind of sick of the flavor. Still have that one chocolate box that I'll savor, though.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:03:31 AM »
Why would buy expensive faux-Japanese snacks and expensive energy drinks when you could just get, like, Three Musketeers and coffee?

But anyway, I've never been to any large nerd-convention ever (Comic Con, E3, PAX, all that), and don't really intend to, since I'd feel massively out of place and end up spending a massive amount of money.
every

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 10:56:02 AM »
I just realized what the struckout start of that was. Didn't the first time because I hadn't been primed by the rest of the post. I'm about ready to declare you more obsessed than TEM for Demon's Souls.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 02:06:55 PM »
I didn't buy any energy drinks, if that helps. Venom Energy had a booth there with free samples, and I tried like two of them.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 01:00:12 AM »
Chapter 2

After a very long morning of most of the other people doing costume stuff, we finally left for the convention a couple of hours after it started. The lack of DC, Marvel, and Wizards of the Coast was still quite noticeable, and the void couldn't possibly be filled by those lame autograph booths. The amount of Twilight fans was staggering, but Kalee and I quickly moved to the other side of the show floor, which was mainly occupied by those who were actually there for comics and video games, to wait for my dad to be done with costume photo stuff so he could give us our money. Kalee ended up with $40 of the $60 he owed her, while I had $20 for the day. Kalee and I each bought T-shirts - hers says I DON'T WANT YOUR FREE HUG, while mine says SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY... in the proper font and formatting.

With 3/4 of my money spent (and almost half of hers), I wasn't going to be buying much else that day. Kalee bought a finger puppet, a copy of the Watchmen TPB (at a little over half the cover price), and something else I can't remember right now, and ended up with zero money shortly after getting change so we could play the Lord of the Rings pinball machine one of the vendors had available for play. With nothing else to do, we wandered around the floor for a bit. We stopped at the GenCon booth, where we got free stuff for signing up for the mailing list; at the Westfield Comics booth, where we entered drawings to be held later; and the UFRAG.tv booth, where I entered a raffle for an insane video card (to be held the next day). We also signed up for a deal where we got free copies of Afraid, a horror novel, with the stipulation that we had to review it online. (I still haven't read this book, but I will.)

With plenty of time to kill before the first drawing, Kalee sat down to read Afraid, while I walked over to the Westwood College (a name that still messes with my head) booth to play Unreal Tournament III with some bots on enormous Apple cinema displays. I probably won't be buying the game any time soon, but [darn], that game is still fun.

I walked back to the Westfield booth to await the drawing. After four names were drawn with no one present to claim a prize, someone was finally there on the fifth one - and it wasn't Kalee or me. They began throwing posters to the crowd, and I got one - a rather nice Jonny Quest poster, to be precise. With nothing else to do, I sat down to read the first Haruhi light novel on my netbook, while Kalee read more of Afraid. I read a few chapters before packing up and walking back over to the Westwood College booth to play more UT3 as I awaited the next drawing.

I walked back to find Kalee sitting at an empty booth across from Westfield. She was drawing stuff. The day before, she had drawn a little alien jumping on a trampoline, named Bleeblesnorck by me. Today she was drawing his friends while she waited for another prize chance.

Neither of us won this drawing, either. We left to go do stuff by ourselves for the last hour of the convention. I walked into the vendor area and found a booth selling Japanese import items. I looked through the soundtracks and posters, then bought a deck of playing cards (three guesses as to what's on them) and left to meet up with everyone else.

I probably shouldn't even need to mention that the ride back to the hotel was boring. We made sandwiches, ate, and generally did boring stuff that night.

Notes for Chapter 2:
- Friday was better than Thursday in almost every aspect. This isn't the case every year.
- VGXPO's booth opened on Friday, and, next to the whole thing with autographs, was one of the worst parts of the convention. I didn't even stop there because of how pathetic it all seemed.
- I just remembered what one of the other things Kalee bought was: a Player Pin. I also bought one. I'm currently wearing both, since Kalee ended up not wanting hers for whatever reason. Throughout the convention, I considered buying more pins (the vendor had a few of every in-game pin), but never actually did so.
- The playing cards were four dollars, so I had a dollar left for the next day. This ended up being important.

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 02:11:50 AM »
You probably already know this, but you can conserve battery power by turning down the brightness on the netbook's screen. It'd be great if you had pictures of that Lord of the Rings pinball machine. I wonder how that Johnny Test Quest poster looked. And it sounds like you and Kalee had a pretty good time.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 02:34:21 AM by FlamingBlueMario »
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 02:47:19 AM »
I run minimum brightness whenever I'm not plugged in, since I like having three and a half hours of battery life. It was having the wireless stuff running while I sat in Dairy Queen's parking lot for an hour that killed it on the initial trip.
Here's some info about the LotR pinball machine.
The poster is sitting in another room of this house right now, but everyone else is sleeping, so I can't go get it and take a picture right now.
All of us had a pretty good time.

Two more days left to recount...costumes and such will probably be a separate thing.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 10:15:34 AM »
I don't understand this thread.

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 12:29:05 PM »
then bought a deck of playing cards (three guesses as to what's on them)
Most assuredly something like this:

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 01:51:54 PM »
Man you look like a small-headed nerd.

My deck's two of hearts has Suzumiya, Nagato, and Asahina in yukata with fireworks in the background (and a cyan border, like every other heart card in the deck), but yeah. I tried to take a picture of it, but my camera sucks.

TEM, perhaps this might clear things up?

Chapter 3 to come later. I'm just going to make costumes a separate section after I've finished summarizing days.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 05:06:55 PM »
LD, did you get caught in a fire or something, dude? 'Cause it looks like Warp burned your beard clean off.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 05:10:05 PM »
Burn? What?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 06:53:41 PM »
To be honest I didn't think it was a very sick burn but the pun potential was too good to pass up.
every

Print