Print

Author Topic: Wreck-It Ralph - Official Trailer #1 -  (Read 16608 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: June 08, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHDQHVkYq4g" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHDQHVkYq4g</a>

An 8-bit video-game character attempts to shed his bad-guy image by escaping into a popular first-person shooter, but inadvertently wreaks havoc in the video-game universe by freeing a digital villain.

How many video-game characters can you name in the trailer? 

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 10:04:10 AM »
So far, the obvious plus the ones people have pointed out to me:

1. Bowser
2. Eggman
3. Zangief
4. M. Bison
5. Zombie (from House of the Dead 2, supposedly)
6. The purple rhino from Altered Beast (forget his name)
7. Q-Bert
8. Clyde (from Pac-Man)
9. Paperboy (You can only see him briefly)
10. Someone from Mortal Kombat (I don't remember the name but people are claiming he's visible in the trailer)

The promotional stills for the movie also show the following:

11. Chun-Li
12. Coily (Q-Bert)
13. Ugg (Q-Bert)
14. Wrong Way (Q-Bert)
15. Sam (Q-Bert)
16. Slick (Q-Bert)

...and that's all I know of.

To be quite honest I'm not all that impressed with this movie. It's nice they got the rights to feature these characters but if they're just gonna appear for one scene and maybe deliver a (rather cheap and corny) gag than that doesn't give this anymore weight than your average sprite comic or Robot Chicken sketch. Other than the video game hook this film's premise looks like a lame repeat of Megamind, yet I see people praising it everywhere. Some even compare it to Roger Rabbit (something I cannot understand, since it looks like the amount of "love" for video games here pales compared to the tribute they paid to classical animation there), or Toy Story (which once again is hardly an apt comparison considering Toy Story at least gave certain well-known toys some important roles while this movie appears to just use the game characters for throwaway scenes).

Also, you all know [darn] well that Disney is gonna make this their next merchandise juggernaut.... and people will likely eat it right up.What does it say about the state of video games in the public eye when what essentially amounts to a copyright safe parody of Mario and Donkey Kong winds up eclipsing the real thing? How is it that we finally get a proper animated movie featuring game characters with some honest effort behind it, and the end result is a premise we've seen a million times before (a meta-parody, for those couldn't figure it out)?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 10:30:35 AM »
I can see where you're coming from with this - because yeah, the premise itself has been done to death.  You've got to expect them to go with what they know will work (well, where "work" means "make a lot at the box office").  But still, I do enjoy video games enough that I want to give it a fair chance.  To be honest, I don't mind going to see "just a fun little movie" once in a while.  It probably won't match Pixar fare (although from what I've seen of it, I've got my misgivings about Brave), but at the very least it'll be enjoyable enough around the holidays, and a good opportunity to go to a movie with geeky friends.  And it may well be surprisingly good.  Look at how Tangled turned out.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 02:07:00 PM by Turtlekid1 »
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 12:07:44 PM »
Lame jokes and music aside, this seems...actually very interesting.
Relics.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 08:07:42 PM »
"Good Feeling"... ugh. I'll probably end up seeing it, but only because Bowser's there.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 08:10:48 PM »
I wasn't aware anyone was taking this seriously.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 09:48:14 AM »
The Chef's got a point, but I still can't not be excited for this on some level.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 07:34:54 AM »
Sweet. Hopefully this movie will be awesome. What would you like to see in the movie?
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 11:33:40 AM »
A better story.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 07:48:41 PM »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 08:27:07 PM »
Nah, that looks like a regular Nicelandian bartender, all of whom look like Mario-style humans.

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 10:17:27 PM »
Certainly does give off an 80s Mario vibe, if you ask me.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 12:04:11 AM »
Well, I think this movie looks good and I'm excited to see how they integrate 8-bit retro graphics and music into the more modern environments in the newer video games.  And I really like the song "Good Feeling," so the trailer was effective in getting me excited.

As for the plot itself...  It seems like Cars backwards.  Rather than a youthful, new hotshot entering an obsolete environment and learning to respect old people, this film shows an obsolete video game character from an arcade entering youthful, new environments to teach hotshots to respect old people.  Or something, I haven't seen much more than the first trailer.  "You don't have to be a bad guy if you don't want to," I guess.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 08:12:08 AM »
You're making me wish the end of the movie will depict Ralph as an old man barking at his grandson who is now the main character of Wreck-It Ralph Country (it won't happen).

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 06:28:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's the bartender from Tapper?
Go Moon!

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »
Fifth does it again.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 08:20:24 PM »
Wah!  Fifth is like a retro video game savant! :0

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 08:26:32 PM »
Holy crap, they really did their homework on this (and so did Fifth).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 10:08:08 PM »
I'd never really figured Tapper to be that obscure a game...
Go Moon!

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 10:58:03 PM »
I'd certainly never heard of it. His face reminds me of that Chicken McNugget toy.

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 02:08:34 PM »
I'd never really figured Tapper to be that obscure a game...
No kidding. Not sure if old or just everyone in this thread is total n00b. (Answer: Both                )

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 02:23:24 PM »
BTW, I knew the answer to my question when I posted it, but only because I'd seen it on GAF.  I never played Tapper, but had heard of it. 

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 05:00:22 PM »
I wasn't allowed to play games with beer in them.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 05:11:34 PM »
There was also Root Beer Tapper for people like you.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 06:47:49 PM »
Yeah, but the bartender in that one wears an ice cream parlor uniform (red and white stripes, paper hat).

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 10:07:58 PM »
Sadly, I only played video games from 1996 to 2006.  I still play video games, just... only ones from that decade.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 09:47:13 AM »
Nothing stopping you from looking up the ones before 1996. :P

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 05:22:09 PM »
The Chef has cooked up some very good points about this movie (and I wish I could articulate thoughts as well as he does), but to be honest I'm still eager to see this.  I guess I'm the kind of person who's pretty easy to please and I'm just thankful for this kind of movie that throws in a bunch of classic video game characters, even if their screen time is short but hopefully not.  I heard Sonic has a speaking part and that alone is enough to get me excited.  What I'd love to see is a powerful antagonist that all of the characters have to fight against before Ralph returns to his game/ starts a new game/ takes over someone else's game/ destroys the game-iverse lol.
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 05:55:12 PM »
From what I understand, Sonic's speaking part is a call back to the "Sonic Says" segments, and there is indeed a super-powerful bad guy that Ralph accidentally releases.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 12:43:59 AM »
I hope it's Jaleel White that voices Sonic!  I'm half-joking...

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 08:15:23 AM »
Nah, he's voiced by his current actor Roger Craig Smith.

I've heard that the Street Fighter characters all have their respective current voice actors as well.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 10:09:25 PM »
I finally saw Wreck-It Ralph, and I was impressed.  The racing scenes in Sugar Rush were pretty exciting.  The relationship between Ralph and Vanellope was touching, and while I guessed the villain early on, I was still moved by the dramatic climax scene.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 10:32:15 PM »
Saw it a second time with my brother the other evening. Most fun I've had at the movies since Scott Pilgrim.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 11:34:57 PM »
>That feel when I'll either have to have my parents drop me off at the theatre and watch it alone, or see it with my mom

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 12:03:33 AM »
I thought it had a pretty [darn] exhilarating plot, with a smart, consistent theme, intense moments of conflict, and a surprisingly well-written villain. I highly recommend the film, but be warned: Mario ain't in it.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 12:39:37 AM »
be warned: Mario ain't in it.

That wasn't from lack of trying; there was an effort made to get the Mario Brothers in the movie, but the licensing fees were quite exorbitant and apparently the requirements for the appearance itself were very strict.

Anyway, can't wait to see it when it comes out here. Just over a month to go, that's stupid...
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2012, 12:44:45 AM »
Oh I know. I'm just warning fellow Mario fans ahead of time so they're not disappointed.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 07:23:57 AM »
I wasn't disappointed. Felix himself made up for the lack of Mario. :D

It's nice they got the rights to feature these characters but if they're just gonna appear for one scene and maybe deliver a (rather cheap and corny) gag than that doesn't give this anymore weight than your average sprite comic or Robot Chicken sketch.

I was mostly right about that first sentence, except for Q*Bert. Somehow this wound up not being a big issue.

Other than the video game hook this film's premise looks like a lame repeat of Megamind, yet I see people praising it everywhere.

Boy was I ever wrong. This movie is leagues better than Megamind. Or any other recent movie about bad guys turning good.

Also, you all know [darn] well that Disney is gonna make this their next merchandise juggernaut.... and people will likely eat it right up.What does it say about the state of video games in the public eye when what essentially amounts to a copyright safe parody of Mario and Donkey Kong winds up eclipsing the real thing? How is it that we finally get a proper animated movie featuring game characters with some honest effort behind it, and the end result is a premise we've seen a million times before (a meta-parody, for those couldn't figure it out)?

I find it funny I said all this because now I'm so in love with the movie I put a bunch of merchandise for it on my Christmas list and I'm absolutely dying to play the real Fix-It Felix Jr. machine. :P

A better story.

Looks like I got what I wanted. Tenfold. :B

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 08:46:04 PM »
My best friend saw this four times, and I was with her for three of those.  I bought concessions the first time.  Never has a film been so expensive.  And rarely have I been so impressed.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2012, 09:46:02 PM »
I've seen it four times too. Two of those were free. Tomorrow night I'm seeing it for a fifth time, only now with my parents.

Print