Print

Author Topic: Koopalings in Japan?  (Read 10473 times)

« on: September 20, 2012, 03:12:50 PM »
So in a recent interview Shigeru Miyamoto said that the seven Koopalings aren't Bowser's children, although he didn't clarify what their actual relationship was. http://www.screwattack.com/news/koopalings-are-not-related-bowser

This got me wondering, what did the instruction manuals say about them in the JAPANESE versions of Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros Wii, New Super Mario Bros 2, Yoshi's Safari, etc?

So far I've only been able to find one page from the SMB3 manual.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 03:18:32 PM »
He calls them oresama no musuko-tachi ("my sons") in SMB3.
http://themushroomkingdom.net/stuff/smb3_japanese_manual_p02.jpg

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 03:55:27 PM »
Like I said: They've always been his kids in both regions. It was only in New Super Mario Bros. Wii where they started calling them his "underlings".

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 04:30:20 PM »
For what it's worth, their relationship with Bowser wasn't mentioned at all in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, either.

...It suddenly makes much more sense that they would obey Bowletta's commands despite she clearly not being Bowser.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 04:31:03 PM »
It also explains why they're not always with Bowser. They're more like his band of crazy relatives who only come to visit from time to time.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »
I was more getting at something like, they'll do whatever for the highest bidder. None of the other infantry in the castle seemed to care that Bowser wasn't himself, either
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 05:01:53 PM »
Maybe they thought Bowser underwent a sex change operation and didn't question him on it out of fear of getting fried.

Or Cackletta brainwashed Bowser's minions. :P

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 09:58:58 PM »
Since they've always been his kids in both regions until the modern era, I'm going to go ahead and pretend this is evidence for my Yoshi's Island DS split-timeline theory. In the branch created by Bowser travelling back in time to kidnap babies, Mario and Luigi get sent to Brooklyn, and Bowser, traumatized by being kidnapped by an older version of himself, sleeps around a bunch and has a bunch of kids (who just happen to look like (nephews/business associates/whatever) from the non-Brooklynized timeline).

This might mean that the Super Mario Bros. games (at least 3 and World) only happened in the Brooklyn timeline, and the modern-era timeline only includes the New Super Mario Bros.es. This is gonna be fun.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 10:02:16 PM »
You got your Zelda in my Mario!
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 11:23:18 PM »
CrossEyed7:

That would explain why Iggy is tall and has green hair and why Morton and Roy's roles have been swapped.

Your attempt at this split timeline reminds of this one phase I had where I tried to divide Mario's games into DC-style "Earths".

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 01:29:11 PM »
There's a much simpler explanation than alternate universes: Bowser used to think the kids were his, then later he found out they weren't!

Related video:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUN_fTlQgbs" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUN_fTlQgbs</a>

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »
I think CrossEyed knows he doesn't have to make it complicated, he just seems to be planning his split timeline theory out for the fun of it.

The idea that something like Maury could exist in Mario's world disturbs me.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 05:33:11 PM »
How would Maury-o even work, considering humans in the Mushroom World reproduce through stork?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 11:00:24 PM »
Multiple storks? And the ones that delivered Bower's kids/nephews and niece got all mixed up and delivered them to Bowser, who raised them as his own, figuring "What the heck. We're related anyway"
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 01:03:57 PM »
Imagine the ruckus Bowser would've caused on Maury-o when the stork-test results came back negative.

Yes, that was a subtle drawing request
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print