Print

Author Topic: Are the Seven Stars a Metaphor for Divine Power?  (Read 4658 times)

« on: July 18, 2002, 10:44:28 AM »
Dear Mario Fans:
I was thinking... the stars in SM RPG and Paper Mario are they the "ultimate" power that sustains TMK?  Can they be compared to the three Goddesses that give the Triforce all its power?  In other words, can the Seven Stars equal the Triforce?  Is one stronger than the other?  Who do the Seven Stars belong to?  Are they independent of their existence?  Is Peach the one who can gain access to the Stars much easier than other characters whenever she wants to?  In brief, are the seven stars a metaphor for divine power?  I know I asked many questions but please feel free to answer those that you can or know:)  Maybe there is no concrete answer(s)?  Thanks!  Shalom!  

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2002, 01:39:15 PM »
[wtd]?! ummmm....maybe u should put down the videogames, and take a look into the male dominated reality. (sorry that last part was just a joke. I just had to put in there cuz your Peach FEMINIST, not just Peach somethin somethin. heh heh. to sum it up, im not that much of a cruel, heartless *******.....or am I?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

you really dont know, do you??

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2002, 03:55:33 PM »
I don't think they are the divine power(god). I think of the stars as beings that watch over the TMK and help us out occasionally.

If it cannot break out of it's shell, the chick will die without being born. We are the chicken. The world is our egg. Smash the world shell! For the revolution of the world!-the student council, "Utena Revolutionary Girl"
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2002, 06:45:24 PM »
They're just personified from the "wish on a star" myth.

-------
In my dream, the world had suffered a terrible disaster. A black haze shut out the sun, and the darkness was alive with the moans and screams of wounded people.
Suddenly, a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life, symbol of hope for millions. A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark. I laughed, and blew it out.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2002, 06:52:47 PM »
I like your answers:)  Thanks for sheding light on the topic.  SMB AllStars you don't offend me.  You seem nice:)  I hope I get more replies.  I was just wondering if there is an actual "triforce" in TMK?  Or at least something that can be similar to it?  Thanks:)  Shalom!

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2002, 09:13:22 PM »
I guess that depends on the game. In RPG, the Star Road doesn't seem (at least to me)to be a conscious thing, it's like a machine or a plant or something that grants wishes as it recieves them, and it's tended to by spirits like our buddy Geno. In PM, the Star Spirits seem like figures in Greek mythology, they're very powerful beings who listen to mortals and occasionally help them. But at any rate, the Stars in any of their given forms don't strike me as a "powerful" deity like the Triforce, they're more of a passive force that grants wishes to the kind-hearted peasants of TMK. Well, the Star Rod could be used to wish that the user be stronger than Triforce power, that might work...

"Like the moon over
 the day, my genius and brawn
 are lost on these fools."
       -Bowser, SMRPG

Sometimes I dream about being carried off by a giant squirrel...Does that make me a nut?
Sometimes I dream about being carried off by a giant squirrel...Does that make me a nut?

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2002, 10:16:39 PM »
The triforce is just a triangle that can open a portal into the evil realm, or some **** like that. It's not like it's a god or something.

-------
In my dream, the world had suffered a terrible disaster. A black haze shut out the sun, and the darkness was alive with the moans and screams of wounded people.
Suddenly, a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life, symbol of hope for millions. A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark. I laughed, and blew it out.

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2002, 01:20:50 AM »
Yeah, but its owner gets super-amazing power fit to rule the world with. Marioverse deities wouldn't give that kind of power all to one person.

"Like the moon over
 the day, my genius and brawn
 are lost on these fools."
       -Bowser, SMRPG

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2002, 02:28:31 AM »
well, im missing alot of info cuz im tired and lazy, but heres some stuff about the triforce out of ALTTP manual:

"...Afetr the gods had finished their work, they left the world, but not before creating a symbol of their strength, a golden triangle known as the Triforce. A small but powerful portion of the essence was held in the essence of this artifact, which was to guide the intelligent life on the world of Hyrule. Although it was an inanimate object, The triforce had the power to bestow  three titles which gave the person who recieved them great powers: "The Forger of Strength", "The Keeper of Knowledge", and "the Juror of Courage"...

and in the illustration it has the three gods creating Hyrule, and it has a picture of the Triforce, labeled "Master Power". So the Triforce is a divine power and has a purpose...or whatever it is you were arguing about.

Theres lots more informational crap in that manual, im just really lazy right now. maybe tomorrow?

Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2002, 02:44:49 AM »
in answer of these questions, tyhe seven stars are not the ultimate power that sustains TMK, but they are definately a contributing factor beacuse they grant wishes. because they are not THE ultimate power, they cannot be compared to the three Goddesses that give the Triforce all its power. They cannot be compared to the triforce, because they simply grant wishes, and the triforce grants power, and even worlds (well, it changed the Golden Land into the Dark World...) oh yeah, and the triforce grants wishes too! it grants "what the holders heart desires" or something like that. see my above post for exactly what it grants. The seven stars belong to no one. they are inanimate objects, just like the triforce. As for Peach being able to access them better than other characters, unless something happens in PM (I dunno, I didnt play the game. these answers are based on ALTTP and SMRPG), nobody has a better ability to access them, alot like the triforce (another quote) (well, I couldnt find it, but heres another one which proves my above point about the triforce granting wishes and crap) "...The triforce, being an inanimate object, cannot judge between good and evil. therfore it could not know Ganons wishes were evil, it merely granted them"...
as for the seven stars being a metaphor for divine power, like frostbite said, its just the wish upon a star myth (or something like that).
 and about Frostbites other comment, the Triforce is not a god, but it is THE ESSENCE of GODS, therefore making it pretty **** powerful, and alot more than just "a portal to another world"
Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

Edited by - smb allstars master on 7/19/2002 1:47:48 AM

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2002, 10:48:33 AM »
Dear smb allstars master:  Thanks for providing the quotes.  I knew that the goddesses:  Din, Farore, and (I forgot the other one's name:(, had something to do with the triforce.  I was wondering if maybe the star man is part of the place where the seven stars come from.  I mean it gives whoever touches it invicibility for a few seconds.  

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2002, 11:41:03 AM »
the other goddess is....well, it doesnt have it in the ALTTP manual, it just says.....wait a minute, in ALTTP it says the triforce was created by "the mythical GODS of Hyrule". sure, they meant gods and goddesses...nope. it goes on to say that the GOD of wisdom, GOD of power, and the GOD of courage created it. im sure the story changes to goddesses creating it in OoT. As for the starman thing, thats an interesting theory. if theres an answer, im pretty sure its somewhere in SMRPG.

Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2002, 04:49:14 PM »
The other fairy is Nehru.

-------

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2002, 06:29:31 PM »
The other one is Nayru.
In Paper Mario the whole star trip kinda seems like their religion or something... hmm. Weird.

I decided to go hire a signature... but he charged too much, so I fired him. Yeah, him.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2002, 01:22:45 PM »
It's not really their religion, because it's an actual occurence.

-------

Print