Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 478100 times)

« Reply #390 on: March 06, 2006, 01:23:59 AM »
Nope, SM64DS is a sequel. It references it several times in the game.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #391 on: March 06, 2006, 01:42:51 AM »
-_-

SM64DS is acutally a sequel?! Now I'll have to play it, since I thought it was just a port..

Back to the timeline: The older bros being what they are because they babysat themselves seems to make sense, but since I haven't played PiT, then I can't add anything else.

Here is what I think the timeline for the Marioverse is..

Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong
Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros
SMB2
SMB3
SMW
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario 64
Paper Mario
Luigi's Mansion
Super Mario Sunshine
M&L: Superstar Saga
Paper Mario TTYD

Up until pretty recently, I only thought games that tried to continue the story of how they were trying to search for a way back to Brooklyn could even be considered for timeline purposes. That being said, I realised that Nintendo has long since abandoned the they're from Brooklyn storyline.

The games above are the only ones that I believe should be counted as true "story" games. Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, and.. others are not story games.

If Ninty were sticking to the origianl story, then Mario, Luigi, and Peach wouldn't be appearing in games like NBA Street V3 and 1080 Avalanche (I think)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #392 on: March 06, 2006, 02:21:09 AM »
It is just a port, just set out like a sequel. If that makes sense.

« Reply #393 on: March 06, 2006, 05:23:08 PM »
The only occurance of the Bros. trying to get back to Brooklyn that I can think of is from an old episode.

Plus I think they already can get back with warp pipes.

I do agree that the spin off games shouldn't be counted as cannon though.
Senior Mariology professor

« Reply #394 on: March 06, 2006, 07:28:26 PM »
I got to thinking... Perhaps the Bros. literally raised themselves. In M&L:PiT the adults acted at least a little fatherly to their past selves. Luigi's timid nature may be from his errors in taking care of Baby Luigi--yelling at them at the start of Gritzy Caves, forgetting to lift him onto Mr. Thwomp before going into Thwomp Volcano, almost letting him get eaten by Petey Piranha... Mario became who he is because Baby Mario watched who he would turn out to be--brave, strong, hardworking, and the older brother part might have inspired him too. And in the beginning, their parents didn't take them to Peach's castle, they went on their own. Maybe they were already so powerful that they didn't need anyone to look after them.

Maybe Baby Mario and Baby Luigi's parents were taken away when the Shroobs attacked, while they were rescued from Peach's castle during the destruction.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #395 on: March 06, 2006, 08:24:39 PM »
Maybe their parents were killed by the Shroobs and they were sent to be adopted by Brooklynites? Then they lived there until their plumbing job in Mario Bros, and found the Mushroom Kingdom in ruin through a pipe and SMB began.
So you see that I agree.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #396 on: March 07, 2006, 06:01:38 PM »
The only occurance of the Bros. trying to get back to Brooklyn that I can think of is from an old episode.

Plus I think they already can get back with warp pipes.

I do agree that the spin off games shouldn't be counted as cannon though.

I think the story for SMB was that they were going to save the land and then search for a way home after setting the people free. I could be wrong though. :D
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #397 on: March 08, 2006, 11:52:26 PM »
Staying with a blonde in a huge castle and being treated as heros seems a tad better than living as plumbers in Brooklyn.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #398 on: March 10, 2006, 11:33:26 PM »
But the Toads would have been so bad at taking care of them, and the bros. look too different from any other resident of the Mushroom Kingdom. Bowser could find them too easily. In Brooklyn they could just be hidden as regular people with big noses. Bowser's minions probably never would've thought to look in Brooklyn anyway.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #399 on: March 11, 2006, 12:57:44 PM »
But the Toads would have been so bad at taking care of them

Why?

and the bros. look too different from any other resident of the Mushroom Kingdom. Bowser could find them too easily. In Brooklyn they could just be hidden as regular people with big noses. Bowser's minions probably never would've thought to look in Brooklyn anyway.

What are you talking about?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #400 on: March 11, 2006, 01:00:34 PM »
What I'm saying is the Bros. were taken to Brooklyn for protection from Bowser. And don't say the toads make good guards... Anyone who's ever played a Mario game knows they're basically defenseless... which needs to change. There should be a toad army.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 01:09:33 PM by Bird Person »
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #401 on: March 11, 2006, 01:07:05 PM »
What I'm saying is the Bros. were taken to Brooklyn for protection from Bowser. And don't say the toads make good guards... Anyone who's ever played a Mario game knows they're basically defenseless... which needs to change. There should be a toad army.

Yes, and it would make sense that Mario would be there leader. There could be plenty of nurse Peachs.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #402 on: March 15, 2006, 06:59:26 PM »
A Toad army eh?  Sounds interesting...I can't imagine what their weapons would be though.  Guns don't exactly fit into the Marioverse.  Maybe they wouldn't be soldiers...healers, possibly.  They could concoct super mushrooms. 

« Reply #403 on: March 15, 2006, 07:09:39 PM »
Maybe they could use pop-guns from Mario Party 2.

« Reply #404 on: March 15, 2006, 07:15:49 PM »
Or...they could use bob-ombs as grenades and bullet-bill launchers as heavy anti-aircraft weapons...
I can actually see that happening...remember in the Mario movie, the bob-omb was a grenade? 

Print