Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 477909 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #525 on: June 19, 2006, 04:33:36 PM »
We have another Yoshi55 on our hands.......I guess.

« Reply #526 on: June 19, 2006, 05:45:13 PM »
I loved those games, I think they are great, but I'm a moonlighting webcomic and I needed a way to keep a timeline or story and frankly I just wanted to create my own little mario world. I picked and chose which ones I liked and would include in the story is all, and I chose to leave Mario Kart, Party, and Sunshine off the map as it were, it makes my job fairly easy and not to mentio I never liked the story of Sunshine, the game itself was a blast. and because of the way I have everything set up it makes YI and YS a bit off so I just leave them out too...I loved both games however. I'm sure I'm not explaining this very well, or how it really should be, but Mario to me will always be Super Mario Bros. 3 so anything sufficiently different from it always seems a bit off. but no, I do enjoy all the mario games

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #527 on: June 19, 2006, 06:07:18 PM »
I wanted to make a comic myself, but I would've included all the games and include a few things of my own. Another thing that's been bugging me is fixind the hole that Rare made in the DK-Mario line. The DK on the Mario side could have easily been Old DK, and the events of DKC could be in the distant future, but the only thing preventing that is the DKC stuff in the spinoffs such as Diddy. Now, I accept all the games as canon, but how do we rectify this?

« Reply #528 on: June 20, 2006, 01:30:23 AM »
I should clarify, I accept what Nintendo says is cannon, but for story purposes I'm keeping what I like best. My previous Mariology is really just what I'd do if I was in charge.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #529 on: June 20, 2006, 01:44:37 AM »
As far as timelines go with Mario, the timeline is about the same as the release date timeline. Except, of course, Baby Mario's adventures; Yoshi's Island was the first thing to happen in Mario's life. Since Bowser was still a baby in Yoshi's Story, that happened shortly afterward. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time happened after Yoshi's Story to the younger versions of the characters but after SM64DS (isn't that the last Mario adventure before PiT?) to the older. So you see, what I'm saying is that the games occur in Mario's world in their release order in ours unless otherwise noted or obvious. If you're confused ask what the Dukar I'm saying and I'll try to re-explain.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #530 on: June 20, 2006, 07:44:57 AM »
I'm still wondering about the DKC timeline. It initially seemed to indicate the future, considering how old Cranky(Classic DK) is, and the fact that DK Jr. appeared in the Mario games up until Mario Tennis 64, but it got messed up when stuff like Diddy started appearing in the Mario spinoffs. If it weren't for this, the spinoffs could be considered entirely "canon", but as long as the DKC stuff remains there, the line has been crossed and there is no consistent DK timeline. Is there a way to explain it away? Should Nintendo make a game about it like PiT?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 06:20:29 PM by The Chef »

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #531 on: June 20, 2006, 08:33:04 AM »
The question is how much time passes between each Mario game.  If we know that, it will either clarify Diddy's presence in spinoffs, or just cause even more confusion, resulting the conclusion that the spinoffs are not in the main timeline.  Although the Babies' presence already have me convinced that the spinoffs are not in the main timeline.  The only way the Babies could participate is if either one timehole remained after the M&L:PiT events, or E. Gadd brought the babies to the present via time machine, so they could participate in spinoffs.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #532 on: June 20, 2006, 10:39:22 AM »
I'll go with the thing about E.Gadd using the time machine. Maybe he used it bring the future DK as well as the other DKC characters to participate in the spinoffs as well.

« Reply #533 on: June 20, 2006, 02:39:11 PM »
I'm still wondering about the DKC timeline. It initially seemed to indicate the future, considering how old Dranky(Classic DK) is, and the fact that DK Jr. appeared in the Mario games up until Mario Tennis 64, but it got messed up when stuff like Diddy started appearing in the Mario spinoffs. If it weren't for this, the spinoffs could be considered entirely "canon", but as long as the DKC stuff remains there, the line has been crossed and there is no consistent DK timeline. Is there a way to explain it away? Should Nintendo make a game about it like PiT?

Classic DK's name is Cranky, not Dranky. :)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #534 on: June 20, 2006, 03:28:04 PM »
It seems a little odd to use time travel for sport events.

Plus how well could babys play anyway?
Senior Mariology professor

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #535 on: June 20, 2006, 06:22:25 PM »
If they can help their older selves save the world from an alien race, I'm pretty sure they can play a few rounds of Tennis/Golf/Baseball.
Classic DK's name is Cranky, not Dranky. :)

Typo.

« Reply #536 on: June 21, 2006, 03:01:35 PM »
Am I right in thinking that Mario Kart: Double Dash!! is the only game thus far to feature both Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. (he's in the Waluigi Stadium audience)?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #537 on: June 21, 2006, 04:00:16 PM »
Yep. I don't recall seeing them together in any other game either. DK Jr. probably pops up in the audiences of other stages as well. Heck, there's probably more than one of him. He could probably be DK's equvavlent of the 'Kid Bowsers' in Mario Party. Kong Kids. Now wouldn't that be funny?

« Reply #538 on: June 22, 2006, 12:43:12 AM »
The character sprites in the audience repeat over and over, so it is possible to see multiple Donkey Kong Jr.s on the screen at the same time (and not for the first time, as veterans of the Game & Watch Gallery series will tell you). I don't think there are any other stages in the game that feature an audience.

Maybe he pops up in the crowds in some of the sports games? Could anyone check this out?

"Kong Kids" has a nice ring to it, but doesn't explain the Js on their shirts. I've taken to calling the pink-ish player 2 ape in DK Jr Math "Julia".

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #539 on: June 22, 2006, 08:34:55 AM »
Than I guess we're stuck calling them DK Jrs. And what about the playable DK.Jr in Super Mario Kart and VB Mario's Tennis? He was about as big as regular DK in those games.

Print