Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 477974 times)

« Reply #540 on: June 22, 2006, 02:50:52 PM »
Not quite. Donkey Kong used to be a large and intimidating character, much bigger than Mario. Donkey Kong Jr. was always shown to be ever so slightly bigger than Mario. (Shigeru Miyamoto once said in an interview that they wanted the player to control Donkey Kong in the sequel, but because the character was too big for the screen they introduced a "little Donkey Kong" instead - Donkey Kong Jr.)

Junior's design was slightly inconsistent in the early days, but generally he was a chunky kind of fellow with broad shoulders. In Game Boy Donkey Kong his design was tweaked a little - he became slightly smaller than Mario, his features were rounder, his shoulders were not so broad, he had two little hairs on the top of his head and the J on his shirt once again became a solid red with no outlines. This design hasn't been strayed from since (Mario's Tennis on Virtual Boy aside).

In Donkey Kong Country, although Mario wasn't present for a true comparison, the impression was that Donkey Kong had become a lot smaller (yeah I know, different generation, blah blah) - now only slightly larger than a kid/teenage monkey, and towered over by his nemesis K. Rool.

Once Donkey Kong rejoined the Mario cast with Mario Kart 64 the size change was immediately apparent - he was only barely bigger than Junior was in the original game!

A similar height reduction was felt in the Game & Watch Gallery series - Junior was about the right size in all of the games, but Papa Donkey Kong was again only a little bit bigger than Mario. Though this is probably down to the fact that the games required a lot of action to fit on one non-scrolling screen, and DK was quite small in most of the original LCD G&Ws anyway.

This isn't taking mushroom effects into account though mind. As Game Boy Donkey Kong's ending showed us, we were only playing as the regular Mario, not the mushroom powered Super Mario!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 08:01:48 PM by Crazy Penguin »

« Reply #541 on: June 22, 2006, 05:06:27 PM »
I hate to us the words non-canon, but the size changes and other problems are just because of limits and issues with the technology available at the time.  Now, with an unlimited capacity for design, the sizes and looks should be finalized.
"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
"I obstruct"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #542 on: June 22, 2006, 06:27:53 PM »
I always saw DK as being a bit smaller than Bowser. As for DK Jr., I'd say he's bigger in SMK and VBMT because he's older. DK94 is supposedly a remake of the arcade game, right?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #543 on: June 22, 2006, 06:40:17 PM »
i don't think so..You didn't collect bananas in the arcade game.I think those games have no connection
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #544 on: June 22, 2006, 07:56:06 PM »
As for DK Jr., I'd say he's bigger in SMK and VBMT because he's older.

http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyer&id=3226&image=1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Supermariokart_box.JPG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:VBMario%27sTennisBox.jpg

His size seems fairly consistent with his original appearance.

But getting back to the "Kong Kids" discussion, I just discovered this screenshot from Donkey Kong Jungle Beat: http://www.samurainintendo.com/gamecube/dkjunglebeat/dkjunglebeat01.jpg

I've never seen those happy little fellas before! Man, I really need to get around to buying Jungle Beat.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 09:22:21 PM by Crazy Penguin »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #545 on: June 23, 2006, 11:30:03 AM »
i don't think so..You didn't collect bananas in the arcade game.I think those games have no connection

I said '94, not 64. Learn to read, man. '94 was a Game Boy game involving Mario saving Pauline from DK, and it might be a remake of the arcade game. DK64 is part of the DKC series set up by Rare.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #546 on: June 23, 2006, 01:52:07 PM »
Listen.Whole thing,The humans were banned because Baby Mario and Baby Luigi were indiividauls and Mushroom King Potaito(HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)Only allowed 3 individauls but there was 4 so Babys in the Mario Family were banned and the Parents of Baby Mario And Baby Luigi were killed by being burried alive in there sleep but he sent the Mario babys back to Earth because The Mushroom King decided it would be harsh to kill a baby then Morten(Not Jr.)killed the Mushroom king.Case Closed.(Oh and the Queen rules now.)   
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #547 on: June 23, 2006, 03:35:55 PM »
Wow!  That sounds really violent for a Mario game.
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #548 on: June 23, 2006, 04:15:40 PM »
fuzzy, I suggest you pay no attention to that guy. He's another fairemaster.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #549 on: June 23, 2006, 04:16:54 PM »
I agree that the Mushroom King most likely died in the claws of Morton Koopa Sr., but I think the Marios' parents, the King and Queen of Marioland, were killed in the Shroob invasion.  The royal family was visiting the Mushroom Kingdom, and the young princes, Mario and Luigi, became good playmate buddies for the young, fussy Princess Peach.

I notice that both of Baby Peach's parents are absent from PiT.  Maybe Morton Koopa Sr. killed both of them.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #550 on: June 23, 2006, 08:47:11 PM »
Morton Koopa Sr.
NO SUCH THING. You know that all 7 Koopalings were named after musicians. Well, theoretically, there would have to be a Morton Sr., but since my opinion is that all 7 were made with Bowser's magic... maybe Bowser had an ancestor named Morton.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #551 on: June 23, 2006, 10:01:57 PM »
I heard somewhere that Bowser's father was named Morton.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #552 on: June 23, 2006, 10:21:16 PM »
I think he was just made up for fictional stories.  I only base my theories on existing characters.  I don't make ones up because I think it makes the story to complicated when it should be really simple.
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #553 on: June 24, 2006, 08:06:22 AM »
Same here. The thing Kojinka posted was taken from a fanfic called Xoshi's Story, I believe.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #554 on: June 24, 2006, 08:46:29 AM »
Haven't read it, so it definitely wasn't taken from that.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print