Print

Author Topic: The HOPEFUL thread: Be happy here!  (Read 1273928 times)

« Reply #2265 on: August 13, 2007, 10:51:40 PM »
???

Are you...talking to me? :/
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #2266 on: August 13, 2007, 10:53:30 PM »
Well in that post, yes, because you started the HOPEFUL thread.

« Reply #2267 on: August 13, 2007, 10:56:59 PM »
Ah. Naw, that's not offensive at all. Now that I look back on it, it was a mistake to even create it. I'm bored with the HOPEFUL thread; like most people are saying, it pretty much dominates every discussion on the board along with it's more popular sister thread.

Though I am proud it got this far.  :)
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #2268 on: August 13, 2007, 11:54:43 PM »
It's sad seeing something based purely around hope as the focal point of so much ironic conention and disruption.
But, then again, this sort of thing does happen almost everyday...so...what am I complaining for?
...Does this mean I go to the ANGST thread or the HOPEFUL thread...? 
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #2269 on: August 14, 2007, 10:25:12 AM »
To be honest, I'm glad to see the hopeful thread getting so much mature or solid discussion in it at all thus far.  While I like the idea of people appreciating things and showing it by posting in a thread, most of the things people are appreciating are material things anyway.  The angst thread is also filled with posts of just mildly sucky things.  Realistically, these two threads are sort of like public diaries, where you can post your own thoughts to yourself, and everyone else will read it and post their own thoughts on their own life, unrelatedly.

Perhaps the point of the two threads should be clarified.  They could be a place to merely post something that's bugging you or inspiring you so you can get it out into the open, with little discussion so the poster can move on with his life and not dwell on the past.  OR, the posts could be limited to only the really big problems, like death and bullying and child abuse in the Angst thread and college scholarships, life-saving experiences and reconciliations in the Hopeful thread.  Then the overall tone of the threads would be more like a support group.  At present, it is awkward to follow someone talking about the death of their uncle while you're mad that your sister spilled ketchup on your pants yesterday morning(they were white pants!).  And while it is uplifting to talk about happy things, it's also pretty stale for others to live vicariously through another's fortune("My new pants fit great!" "Oh...").
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2270 on: August 14, 2007, 03:28:37 PM »
I think they should be recommended for things if the poster doesn't mind if it becomes a discussion or not. Things like Mario Maniac's posts would be excellent, because the posts would just be ignored anyway. Things such as a long description of an enjoyable trip would be better as individual topics; short comments like Vidgmchtr's kill the conversation to which such a post would inevitably lead. Not to say Vid's post was out of place--his would be the perfect kind of post for this topic. And I'm not saying the posts in either thread should not be allowed to spark conversation, as any post really could... but expect it to end quickly, or have a combo breaker somewhere along the line.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2271 on: August 14, 2007, 05:44:56 PM »
I think longer posts like WarpRattler's should go in (insert adjective here) stories.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2272 on: August 15, 2007, 10:46:49 AM »
When I posted my recounting of a lot of the stuff I did on the way to, at, and on the way from Chicago, I didn't have a lot of time on the Internet, and the fact that I was using the monster that is AOL was distracting me. I probably should have started a new thread. I've been home for a couple of days now, and I finally got Internet access back. Many of you have made great points about this (though I've only seen one post directly responding to the awesomeness of the convention itself), and were I an op, I would probably split the stuff pertaining to the convention into its own thread, and then edit anything mentioning my post in this thread.

After we left Iowa, we had my sister in the car (as she was staying at my cousin's house), and she wanted to game with us. She's now playing a plant elemental...Moogle. I've been making some stuff up for my character since my sister's character was introduced into the game, and now he's teaching her Final Fantasy spells in the middle of a battle. Right now, the game's on hold because three of the players (including the GM) aren't here right now.

Also, I'm surprised no one caught this little gem:

"so I threw Pooh at the monkey"

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2273 on: August 16, 2007, 01:54:08 PM »
Well, I'm back, with news. I'm at Washington State University now, which means you can mail stuff to me! Assuming, for some strange reason, you want to mail stuff to me.

But I am glad to announce that I have no reason to mask my entire name now that my family would not be "put at risk." Here's my address!

Ian Meharg
345-B Honors Hall
P.O. Box 1700
Pullman WA 99163

Is anyone interested in a tour of WSU? I could make a movie or slideshow. I'd host it, of course.

« Reply #2274 on: August 16, 2007, 05:25:37 PM »
Nice! Now I finally have a use for this anthrax.

« Reply #2275 on: August 16, 2007, 09:22:11 PM »
I've known the full names of a handful of people here (Yes, including yours, Suffix) since the day I got a Facebook.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2276 on: August 16, 2007, 11:24:11 PM »
Is anyone interested in a tour of WSU? I could make a movie or slideshow. I'd host it, of course.
Oh, I thought that was an invitation.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2277 on: August 17, 2007, 08:48:01 AM »
Finally I can unload all these outdated computer books.
* Luigison labels and stamps a large box then tapes himself inside it.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2278 on: August 17, 2007, 11:59:09 AM »
Yes, well, when I mentioned a tour of WSU, I meant online. Offline would work, too, but I don't think anyone's going to fly to Spokane for solely that reason. You wouldn't happen to have a book for C, would you, Luigison?

Jman

• Score
« Reply #2279 on: August 17, 2007, 12:22:46 PM »
Nice! Now I finally have a use for this anthrax.

Reason #1 why you never give out personal info on the web.  I laughed for like 30 seconds after reading that.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Print