Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 478536 times)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #750 on: September 01, 2006, 05:50:27 PM »
But does that necessarily count?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #751 on: September 01, 2006, 05:50:08 PM »
It's a classic cartoon joke. You never see the adult's faces.

« Reply #752 on: September 04, 2006, 10:54:56 AM »
When I was younger, I tried to sit down and write a bit of Mario history but I didn't really get much written.  Among my notes, I had this pseudoscientific-evolutionary theory about the Toads (which I considered "Mushroom People" and still do to avoid confusion with the character Toad).

It went kind of like this: At some point in the Mushroom World's past, there existed a race of ape-like beings (the parallel universe equivalent of human ancestors), who somehow got "infected" by a particular type of parasitic fungus.  These people passed this "disease" down to their children, and eventually the fungus started taking over part of their bodies.  By a lucky chance these infected people learned to cope with it and eventually the two life-forms formed a symbiotic relationship.  The fungus formed a protective mushroom shell at the top of their heads (instead of hair), providing insulation and protection from the cold winters and storms, and in turn, the fungus allowed itself to absorb some of its host's nutrients (stunting their growth in the process, hence their small size and unusual facial shape).  In the mushroom world, many species of fungus have special uses, such as healing, and this served the Mushroom People's ancestors well.  Eventually, they outsurvived the other humanoid races and developed into the race we know today.
However, on rare occasions a Mushroom Person may be born defective (or "uninfected", depending on how you look at it), where the fungus is unable to take over the host's body, resulting in a more fully-sized human who possesses no mushroom parts.  I suppose if you wanted to parralel their history with ours, the "defective" ones would have been the ones most discriminated against until over time proper discrimination laws were set up by the government (incidentally, a monarchy known as The Mushroom Kingdom).  It's lucky that these laws were set in place, for who would have thought that soon a Princess would be born without a Mushroom?  Yes, Peach Toadstool, who grew to be at twice as tall as her parents, and grow long, blonde hair, and human-sized dresses?

...That was the gist of it.  I know it's flawed, but I was a kid when I wrote about it, okay?
As for the origins of Mario and Luigi, suppose the "Stork" from SMW2 might be thought of as a special "Adoption Service" that mails orphans directly to you?  I mean, we only saw Mr. and Mrs. Mario from a glance, but they look kind of old, by the looks of their wrinkled hands and arms.  Perhaps they were too old to have kids, so they took on some orphans who may or may not be from the Mushroom World?  There's my cent and a half.

« Reply #753 on: September 04, 2006, 12:14:46 PM »
There was a t.v show with Mario and Luigi and the first time they went to the Mushroom Kingdom they went down a pipe in the bathtub.
Dee to the third power dude

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #754 on: September 04, 2006, 02:56:39 PM »
Yes there is, but the TV show may not be considered canon with the sory present in the games.

Actually, I had this theory that Mario and Luigi got to the Mushroom Kingdom using the Rainbow Road. This is because in Mario Golf for Gameboy Color, after you beat all four clubs you get to go to Peach's Castle, qhich is accessed by stepping through a rainbow-colored door and walking across a rainbow-colored bridge in the sky, eventually to Peach's Castle, also located in the sky. This theory could also be used to explain why there's no land surrounding the main area with the castle in SM64.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 03:01:10 PM by The Chef »

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #755 on: September 04, 2006, 06:05:44 PM »
As for the TV show, since Mario and Luigi are plumbers, they were most likely fixing some sort of plumbing when they discovered a warp portal between Brooklyn and the Mushroom World.  However, the most plausable location for that portal was in the sewers of the Mario Bros. arcade game.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #756 on: September 05, 2006, 06:59:21 PM »
I guess you might think of Warp Pipes as an entrance into some kind of wormhole, which can take you to several different points in the universe and sometimes even take you to other universes.  Some enemies from the Mushroom World accidentally wandered through these warp pipes and ended up in our Universe and that's when Mario and Luigi discovered the world beyond (or so goes the theory).

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #757 on: September 05, 2006, 07:25:08 PM »
I really don't think that the warp pipes have trans-dimentional capabilities. They're probably just tunnels in the ground built by ancient civilaizations. I think that the Rainbow Road is what connects the worlds. (Read my above post for more info.)

« Reply #758 on: September 06, 2006, 03:01:36 PM »
Mabey not transdimensional, but certanly transportational.

There are a lot of above ground pipes and most of them stop at blocks.

To shift into a large debate...
I think the Mario Bros. arcade game started around the same time as SMB, so that Bowser's invasion started just before the MB game.

The Koopas, Spniys, ect. could have been in the Brooklyn swewers for many reasons, here's a couple.
1. Totally random
2. Searching for escaped Toad's people and found the pipe by accident
3. They where good creatures like in the Paper Mario games and where escaping from Bowser's troops.
Senior Mariology professor

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #759 on: September 06, 2006, 03:31:36 PM »
Yeah, but there weren't any Sidesteppers and Fighterflies in any Mario game besides MB, so the question is, were the enemies in MB really Bowser's troops?

« Reply #760 on: September 06, 2006, 06:12:54 PM »
A minor note here, but

HAS ANYONE REALIZED WE ALREADY MISSED THE 25th ANNIVERSARY OF DONKEY KONG!we missed it! We didn't even have a notice on themushroomkingdom.net home page!AAAAh!
OH, NO! There goes Tokyo! GO, GO GODZILLA!
------
Yinzers Rule!

« Reply #761 on: September 06, 2006, 08:04:39 PM »
25's just a number...I mean, why do we celebrate multiples of five?  23, 17, 34 are just as important (and irrelevant).
On that note, happy anniversary Mario!

« Reply #762 on: September 06, 2006, 09:59:23 PM »
The only real thing to rejoice is the beggining of a legend. Truth be told the game itself isn't really that entertaining anymore when you beat it.

Anywho, the creatures in the sewers are anyones geuss.

So who has the best geuss?

And don't you dare comment about me not being a true Mario fan for not liking DK!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 10:03:37 PM by yoshimastar »

« Reply #763 on: September 07, 2006, 05:59:26 AM »
Anywho, the creatures in the sewers are anyones geuss.

So who has the best geuss?

I'll take a shot at this...

My theory is that the crabs and fireflies could have already been in the sewers long before the koopas came. Perhaps they hid in the shadows, afraid of the humans? Then, one faithful day, the koopas came out of a certain green pipe that connected the mushroom world and earth with orders from Bowser to conquer earth, found the crabs and fireflies and convinced them to use their abilities to fight back against the humans.

That's just my theory.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #764 on: September 07, 2006, 05:19:22 PM »
That would be a small force against Brookyln's finest.

Print