Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 476456 times)

« Reply #765 on: September 07, 2006, 06:21:14 PM »
Yeah, but there weren't any Sidesteppers and Fighterflies in any Mario game besides MB, so the question is, were the enemies in MB really Bowser's troops?

There were Fighter Flies in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Maybe Sidesteppers too (been awhile since I've played..)

I think the enemies in MB were evil, but didn't necesarily work for Bowser. Mabey they just took it upon themsevles to try and stop these mere plumbers from getting into the Mushroom Kingdom.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #766 on: September 08, 2006, 01:24:05 PM »
 Just throwing out anything that might be relevant here... According to Super Mario Advance, Clawgrip was a Sidestepper affected by Wart's magic. If Subcon is an actual place, which is possible, then my theory would be that the Sidesteppers originated there but were hunted to near extinction. Some formed underground colonies, which were also nearly eliminated eventually, and others found their way to Earth. Subcon being real isn't necessary yet, but I'm sure it will at least be helpful someday. I don't have any problems with Shy Guys, but if Wart ever shows up in Mario Kart, we'll have a problem. He was already in Link's Awakening, and it can be argued from Wind Waker featuring Earth's night sky that the Zelda games take place on Earth or a parallel dimension thereof, which would fit.
Fighter Flies in the Beanbean Castle Sewers... Either they're inherently drawn to pipes, or the Beanbean Sewers are somehow connected to the Brooklyn Sewers. I could see there being some sort of interdimensional transport in the BBS, since we know they're probably not used as actual sewers. What do they do for sewers? Wait, do the Beanbean people even need sewers? There's a good chance they're photosynthetic, so they probably don't even produce waste. So if Mario and Luigi had known more about the Beanbean race, they wouldn't have fallen for the trap. There's an interesting aspect. Anyway, I guess Bowser took over the Mushroom Kingdom first, and the Beanbean Kingdom set up Little Fungitown for refugees, and then Bowser took over the Beanbean Kingdom, using the BBS link to try and take over Earth.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #767 on: September 08, 2006, 05:56:46 PM »
I think that's going a bit overboard. There doesn't seem to be any sign of Bowser having invaded the BeanBean Kingdom at any point. Plus, there's a chance that the sewers in MB aren't under Brooklyn.

« Reply #768 on: September 08, 2006, 06:07:14 PM »
Well the pipes are certainly somewhere near Brooklyn. All refrences say the Bros. where in Brooklyn at the time of the warp.
Senior Mariology professor

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #769 on: September 10, 2006, 12:25:44 PM »
Well, there has been quite some time between Mario Bros. and M&L, so they've probably had enough time to clean away any signs of Bowser, including driving the Shellcreepers out of the sewers, but leaving the Spinies, since they were familiar with the Beanbean variety, and the Fighter Flies, since they were from Stardust Fields. Which I forgot until now, and opens up some more interesting ideas. But anyway, it's also possible that Mario Bros. actually doesn't depict the warp, and is set later in the timeline somewhere in the Mushroom World, possibly even the Beanbean Sewers. Unless there's something in the manual that contradicts that; I've never read it. Maybe the fact that SMB3 and Mario Bros. were on the same cart is a clue. Well, not literally a clue, since Nintendo could care less if this all fits together. But still, maybe the events of Mario Bros. actually took place around the time of SMB3.
By the way, for an extra challenge, where do all of Mario's cameos fit in?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #770 on: September 10, 2006, 01:36:06 PM »
The only refernces to Mario being from Brooklyn I know of are in the intructions to SMB and the Official NP Player's Guide to SM64. I only support the idea of them being from Brooklyn because I'm a New Yorker and my whole family lived in Brooklyn. For all we know, MB could've taken place in TMK, especially if DK '94 really was a retelling of the arcade game (Spoiler: Because Mario chases DK around the world and winds up in what appears to be TMK at the end of the game and Pauline gives him a Super Mushroom to increase his size.) and MB was supposed to happen after it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 01:41:23 PM by The Chef »

« Reply #771 on: September 10, 2006, 02:34:49 PM »
Actually there's Brooklyn refrences in almost all the major guides.

The Mario Bros. game fits in with the warp pipe story too perfectly, it's at the beggining of the whole series, it's the first game to show Mushroom World enemies, and is in the sewers surrounded by pipes.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #772 on: September 11, 2006, 12:41:59 PM »
Are you sure there's a Brooklyn reference in every Mario guide officially released by Nintnedo?

« Reply #773 on: September 11, 2006, 03:09:56 PM »
In most of the major ones.

Either way it's not a debatable topic. At one point Mario and Luigi once lived in Brooklyn.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #774 on: September 12, 2006, 04:46:25 PM »
First off, I've only seen it in the pre-Yoshi's Island guides, so maybe they never lived in Brooklyn at all. Second, you don't have any other proof besides Super Show(which probably isn't canon and the guides), which which could've been written with no sense of continuitiy in mind (Nintendo of America never has a sense of continuity).

« Reply #775 on: September 12, 2006, 07:57:36 PM »
Actually, it also seems that Nintendo of Japan also has issues with continuuity, as similar locations in some of the games never look the same twice. Take the castle from Mario 64. When it first appeared, there was no race track connected to it, but then in Mario Kart 64, it was off of the Royal Raceway. And in Mario Kart Advance, it could be seen off of the track in Peach Circuit, and MKDD and MKDS had it on Mario Circuit. The same castle also appeared in Paper Mario 64, but it didn't even look the same as it did when it first appeared in Mario 64.

Then there's also the appearance in Smash Bros Melee, but that one may or may not count since the Smash Bros series is a conglomeration of all things Nintendo.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #776 on: September 12, 2006, 08:16:18 PM »
The official Super Mario 64 guides story page says "the visitor from Brooklyn".

There could be more than one castle, and the sports games castles could be models.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 06:03:01 PM by yoshimastar »

« Reply #777 on: September 13, 2006, 07:24:08 AM »
uhhhhh man, I need some money to buy some new mario games...  Are they worth it?
I only watch [adult swim]

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #778 on: September 13, 2006, 02:13:06 PM »
Any reason why you're posting that in the Mariology topic?

Has this guy's account been hacked? He normally doesn't post like that.

« Reply #779 on: September 14, 2006, 04:02:07 PM »
I wonder why Goombella didn't comment on how Mario was inside a paper-theme world. I mean, she asked about why they could breath on the moon....................

(And Mario transforms into several paper modes too.)
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Print