Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 476363 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #780 on: September 14, 2006, 04:05:27 PM »
Maybe because the paper thing was just a metaphor/artistic style?

« Reply #781 on: September 14, 2006, 04:09:37 PM »
Yeah, but he could transform into 4 paper modes. I mean, it didn't have to be something big, just something she could point out.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #782 on: September 14, 2006, 04:11:14 PM »
But remember that the paper modes were due to a curse inflicted on Mario. He couldn't do that normally.

« Reply #783 on: September 14, 2006, 04:16:38 PM »
I know it's a curse, but why were they all paper curses? Goombella should have at least said something.

« Reply #784 on: September 14, 2006, 04:21:38 PM »
The Paper was just a style thing. It just happens that the curses all have to do with paper. Besides, if everyone was made of paper all the time, would you really need to comment on it? "Holy crap! I'm 3-Dimensional!"

« Reply #785 on: September 14, 2006, 04:24:32 PM »
Mario is 3-D most of the time though.

« Reply #786 on: September 14, 2006, 04:26:53 PM »
Well, he didn't really just become paper. That was all based around style. And since Gombella was only in Paper Mario, she would only know about being made of paper by your logic.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #787 on: September 14, 2006, 04:27:37 PM »
Mario is 3-D most of the time though.

But the paper thing was a style. Did Mario get excited in SM64 when he discovered he was made of polygons instead of pixels? I think not.

« Reply #788 on: September 14, 2006, 07:25:02 PM »
No, he really did transform into paper, seeing as how he could turn into a tube, boat, plane, and 2D. The environment is still 3D but the curses indeed make him paper.
Senior Mariology professor

« Reply #789 on: September 14, 2006, 08:43:03 PM »
He wasn't made of paper all the time, though. Only while using the curses effects.

« Reply #790 on: September 16, 2006, 02:32:53 PM »
Did Mario get excited in SM64 when he discovered he was made of polygons instead of pixels?

That would make a neat scene, though..

Mario: *looks at his hand* I'm polygonal! *jumps for joy*
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #791 on: September 16, 2006, 07:54:27 PM »
* Mario struggles for a few moments before realizing it'll be about 5 years until he will have independent fingers
Mario: Argh.
You know the story behind the curses, right?
BEWARE, SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT
The Shadow Queen made it so the four heroes that sealed her up would be sealed in a box when they no longer carried a Crystal Star, and they would be forced to curse whomever opened it. But they outsmarted her by instead granting the opener (Mario) powers, but because it was their fate to curse him they acted as such. The powers Mario needed in order to reach the Shadow Queen just so happened to be to fly, to slip through narrow passages, to crawl under low spaces, and to float on water. A thousand years ago, maybe paper was the most practical thing that could do these and the four heroes based their "curses" on papery qualities.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #792 on: September 16, 2006, 09:32:56 PM »
They where never forced to curse whoever opened their boxes.
Senior Mariology professor

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #793 on: September 16, 2006, 09:39:49 PM »
Also, it is possible to take a loose constructionist viewpoint on TTYD, and say that the abilities were only represented paperly in the game, but in "reality," they were more realistic.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #794 on: September 16, 2006, 09:54:08 PM »
Perhaps the four heroes were somehow able to communicate with each other.  Let's assume they had a sense of humor.  One day, in their chests, they were like:
Hero 1: I'm bored! How long have we been trapped in these chests?!
Hero 2: I lost count at 300 years.
Hero 3: We've been stuck here for 500 years!
Hero 4: What?!  If we have to wait another 500 years, we should mess with the opener's head!  Like, say the special skills we grant him/her are terrible curses?
All: Yeaah!
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print