Print

Author Topic: Testing new signature...  (Read 2811 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: January 30, 2003, 04:03:38 PM »
Yes, I know it's the exact same topic that goodie wrote, but I felt you guys could post your opinions on this:

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don''t like Nintendo obviously don''t like video games.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 11:03:27 PM »
I think it should be true.

I write poetry when I`m not looking.
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2003, 09:19:08 AM »
People just don't respect Nintendo anymore. Stupid Sony PlayStation hype...

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don''t like Nintendo obviously don''t like video games.

Edited by - Mario Maniac on 1/31/2003 7:20:39 AM
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2003, 09:19:12 AM »
Yes, I fully believe that Nintendo is the epitome of the video game world. Nintendo has influenced the minds and imaginations of video game designers around the world with their innovative and remarkable games and hardware.

Innovation and creativity are what Nintendo is a master of, and no other company has been able to successfully recreate that type of philosophy.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2003, 05:23:11 PM »
"Innovation and creativity are what Nintendo is a master of, and no other company has been able to successfully recreate that type of philosophy."

Replace the word "Nintendo" with the word "Apple" to create another true statement. Apple's nemesis, Microsoft, has copied it on every level, even to create the DOS operating system with which it started. There are some exceptionally talented innovators at Apple, and all Microsoft does is copy and steal. This is the same situation as what is happening with Nintendo and its competitors (one of which is MICROSOFT!!!!).

The reason both statements (that is, the one I quoted and the other version with Apple) can be true simultaneously is that Apple and Nintendo operate in two separate industries. As I said before,* though, I think they should join up and CRUSH Microsoft (and Sony).

* http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/mailbag_020816.shtml
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2003, 11:26:48 PM »
OOH.
It seems we have found THE thing we disagree on here. I like Apple alright, but Mac OS is way harder to use and the anti-aliasing (I think) on all the text is horrendous.
If you remember, Microsoft and Apple were on the same team at the beginning, and Apple busted off after a while. (And yes, I know Apple was around first.)
I just don't like Microsoft-bashing. I like Xbox-bashing, but not Microsoft bashing...

That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2003, 02:59:13 AM »
". . . the anti-aliasing (I think) on all the text is horrendous."

I'm glad you put the words "I think" in there because the exact opposite is true. At the address below you'll find two computer screen shots, the first from a computer running Windows and the other from one running Mac OS. The images are not of the highest quality, but they are definitely good enough to see the difference. Pay particular attention to the words in italics.

http://www.harbornet.com/folks/readers/rendering.html

". . . Mac OS is way harder to use . . ."

Again, the exact opposite is true, but this is subjective. I cannot prove that I’m right. What I can say is that Apple’s whole philosophy, of even greater importance than innovation and creativity, is based on ease of use. I’ll leave you with these quotes, spoken by people who understand Apple’s purpose and have used Macs extensively enough to know what they’re talking about:

"Ease of Use - Even though based on a Powerful UNIX Core, Mac OS X features Apple's legendary ease of use, making the Unix underpinnings visible only to those who want to see them."
– A Pro-Apple Web Site Called "PC to Mac"

"I'd recommend them [Macs] to anybody, and regardless of what people say, they're very easy to use."
– A Switcher from Windows to Mac OS

"You can do things on a Mac that PC users only dream about, and do them more easily, without giving up any of the compatibility with the PC world that you need."
– Apple’s Web Site

After all this, know that the choice of which operating system you use is your own. If you really prefer Microsoft, then that is your decision—you have a right to it. And I will never think any less of you or anyone else for choosing to use it. In the ultimate scheme of things, the type of computer you choose to use doesn't make all that much difference.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2003, 11:53:13 PM »
Well, in my experience, at least.
I generally like Mac OS, but I'm used to Windows, and generally know my way around an IBM-compatible a lot better. I should have said Macs are harder -for me- to use.
And, the antialiasing on my aunt's iMac was very blurry and hard to read.
But really, you're right. It doesn't matter.
I just disrespect Apple in the same way I disrespect Sony, because of the evil false advertising last holiday season, for one. What they say about their own systems is true, but then, they proceed to give untrue examples about Windows' incompatibility, when they set the situation up just perfectly for it to fail.
I just want to say, that really, the two companies are about equal in terms of originality and copying each other... but I have noticed that a lot of Mac users are more biased. My aunts and uncle, for example. That's primarily where I get my experience with Apple from.

"You can do things on a Mac that PC users only dream about, and do them more easily, without giving up any of the compatibility with the PC world that you need."
The opposite is also true, you realize.

...But I don't see how you can really say that Macs are easier to use than Windows machines... :-P
Actually, they're about the same, in different areas.
Final thought: Given the opportunity, I'd use both of them equally. Heck, half my web site is being developed on a Mac by my best friend. We get the best of both worlds.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 2/1/2003 10:05:37 PM
That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2003, 11:53:48 AM »
For some people, like myself, what it comes down to is personal experience and personal preference. When I use PCs, they crash on me. Our Mac has crashed one time since we started using Mac OS X (which was many months ago). I think Windows is ugly and Mac OS is not. From all that I've done on both types of machines, Macs simply seem much more intuitive to me.

All of these things are opinion. Based on the experiences I've had with different computers, I have come to prefer the ones made by Apple. The same is true with my preference for Nintendo products. If someone is a major PlayStation 2 fan, then that's what he is. I cannot make him understand that Nintendo produces better systems and games. He has to decide that for himself.

Edited by - Watoad on 2/2/2003 9:50:53 PM

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2003, 08:26:37 PM »
That's true, Windows does crash more...

That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2003, 02:09:54 AM »
I e-mailed my older brother, a Mac pro, about what I have been discussing with you. He said he thought the following might be the case rather than poor anti-aliasing of the text. His explanation assumes that your aunt's iMac is one of the redesigned computers with a flat, LCD screen.

"For the 17" iMac, the native resolution is 1440 by 900 while for the 15"er, the native resolution is 1024 by 768.  They are probably using a lower resolution than the native one and so the text on-screen is fuzzy.  If I turn down the resolution on the flat screen on my laptop, the same thing happens.  That's just the way flat screen, LCD type monitors work."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2003, 08:52:57 PM »
No, it's a normal original iMac. I have seen LCD screens with that problem, but that wasn't it. It just looked quite blurry and somewhat illegible. *shrug*

That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2003, 11:45:59 PM »
An original-style iMac is also what I have, but it doesn't have that problem. Weird.

Print