Print

Author Topic: BEST AND WORST IN SERIES? Week 28: Lava/Fire Levels  (Read 16145 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 09:58:36 AM »
What Mario game had the best or worst Mario Levels?
No one else noticed that yet?

Anyway,

Best: SMRPG. So many surprises. A giant stump that attacks you. Some kind of cat thing made out of wood that lives without its head (and will kill you if you try that out). A mysterious robotic Toad-type guy who has models of Arwings and F-Zero machines (possibly a time traveler). A dragon made out of Podoboos. Who comes back as a skeleton when you finally kill him. Chasing the Axem Rangers and just narrowly missing them, until you all meet on the crest of the volcano and then fight all five of them at once atop a flying axe that shoots enormous laser beams at you. And the music is great.

Worst: I haven't played Corona Mountain yet, but from what I've seen of it, I can't imagine myself enjoying it much at all. Since all my other experiences with Mario lava levels are overwhelmingly positive, I have to say Sunshine.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 11:38:21 AM »
Someone else did, on the first page.

Hinopio isn't robotic.
That was a joke.

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 02:16:39 PM »
I enjoyed walking through lava. But, soon, I figured out I couldn't jump out. >.< Although, its like Mario is a firecracker!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 02:19:23 PM by Luigalaxy »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 04:05:07 PM »
Hinopio isn't robotic.
I wouldn't blame anybody for thinking everyone in that game is robotic.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 04:33:41 PM »
Nah, just Geno. Really.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 04:35:04 PM »
Can we get a gif of Geno doing "the robot" now?

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 06:15:15 PM »
BEST: Super Mario Galaxy. The Freezeflame Galaxy, and the Melty Molten Galaxy even more so. Being a big enthusiast of the whole "feeling" aspect of video games, they have some of the best atmospheres I've ever seen in a game. As well as a lot of other things in that game.

WORST: Um...I'd have to say Super Mario Sunshine. It wasn't bad, but just the lack of a worse choice.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »
Best: SMG. Freezeflame was a great place to reintroduce the Fire Flower (assuming you took the levels in as you unlocked them) and Melty Molten felt like a good final level. Bowser's levels (or, I guess the boss levels) get a special mention because they also had lava and were fun to play in.

Worst: SMS. It's like taking a fire extinguisher against the fires of the underworld.

Nominee: Non-Mario Playable character
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 04:21:37 PM »
I forgot to post earlier, but my nomination is for best/worst Mario character in SSB/SSBM/SSBB (Mario, Luigi, Doc, Wario, Yoshi, Peach, DK, Bowser).

Also, I find it interesting that SMS made worst in 5 out of 14 competitions. That proves how bad that game really is.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 04:24:33 PM by jdaster64 »
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 08:43:57 PM »
It's actually not a bad game at all. True, it has some annoying factors, but not enough to make it bad by a long shot.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 10:17:31 PM »
5 out of 14 is less than 50%, and that hardly qualifies something as, in this case at least, the "worst".

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 02:27:27 PM »
Also, I find it interesting that SMS made worst in 5 out of 14 competitions. That proves how bad that game really is.

No. It shows how underappreciated it is. It recived "Worst Bowser", "Worst First Level", "Worst Hub Dwellers", etc. I can think of many other Mario games that deserved the "Worst" title for anything that Sunshine was declared "Worst" at. I don't think that a Mario game deserves the title of worst anything; I think some other games that I know do.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 02:31:54 PM »
Best:  Super Mario 64.  So much stuff in it, like angry bull balls, a rolling log, and even a mini-volcano.  Plus shell surfing is fun!

Worst:  Super Mario Sunshine.  Way too short, and rushed.
Victory... is my destiny!

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 03:35:50 PM »
No. It shows how underappreciated it is. It recived "Worst Bowser", "Worst First Level", "Worst Hub Dwellers", etc. I can think of many other Mario games that deserved the "Worst" title for anything that Sunshine was declared "Worst" at. I don't think that a Mario game deserves the title of worst anything; I think some other games that I know do.
I'd like to see a topic sometime where reviews of some new game/movie/book whatever at the time of release are compared to the popular opinion of the same product much later once everyone's had a chance to experience it. Because I've seen many examples where a game or book is praised to high heaven shortly after release, and then the entire community says it was one of the worst in the series later on. I remember seeing G4's Judgment Day give "Super Mario Sunshine" a 10/10. It's definitely a Mario game, entertaining, and a big breath of fresh air to have worlds that are much bigger than in Super Mario 64 (for anyone comparing it to that and not other games like Banjo-Kazooie). At the least, Sunshine's levels just felt bigger. Tell me you weren't in awe when you were at the top of Noki Bay, watching the birds fly across the sky, seeing a rainbow in the waterfall in the distance.

Uh, best Lava/Fire levels? I'm not sure. If I could count Super Mario Bros.'s Bowser levels, that'd be a contender because they seem so intense when playing them for the first time as a child. The only lava level I recall in Super Mario RPG (other than Pipe Vault and Bowser's castle) was Barrel Volcano, which was awesome for the encounters more than the lava.

So I'm voting Super Mario 64 as best lava levels for the reasons Silver mentioned. And I'm still surprised that a shell can surf across lava.

Worst lava levels? ...I'm sorry, I just watched a video on Corona Mountain from "Super Mario Sunshine" and was reminded how hard that level was. SMS is worst.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2008, 07:06:16 PM »
Worst:  Super Mario Sunshine.  Way too short, and rushed.

Yet, you ignore the fact that they were harder then most lava levels.

Print