Poll

Which of the following Mario platformers is your favorite?

Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Print

Author Topic: SMB3 VS. SMW  (Read 38088 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2010, 09:50:25 PM »
First off, I love the SNES. But the fact is, a "jump" doesn't make the games automatically better. I would completely agree with there being a "huge jump" between say, early NES titles and early SNES titles, but not quite so much with late NES to early SNES. (That would also negate it being a jump.) True, Nintendo used mode7 at launch, but besides that, the main advantages you got were twice the colors, a few more sprites onscreen, and a more versatile sound chip. Being on SNES didn't make the games control better or get more fun.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2010, 10:27:04 PM »
Being on SNES made Wario's Woods control better and be more fun.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2010, 10:27:55 PM »
Being on SNES didn't make the games control better or get more fun.

Games are often more fun as a result of better graphics and sound.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2010, 10:37:07 PM »
More than that, I would argue that the increased sophistication in the SNES's controller made the experience more enjoyable. It could be said that SMB3 is to SMW as Ancient Greece was to Ancient Rome: Hugely influential and fundamentally necessary for the latter's existence, but undoubtably more primitive overall.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:39:43 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2010, 11:33:05 PM »
SMW gave you a spin jump button. The camera controls don't even count.

And I disagree pretty much 100% with your statement, Turtlekid.
If a game was nothing but awesome physics with horrendous graphics I'd eat it up.
That was a joke.

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2010, 01:23:13 AM »
Games are often more fun as a result of better graphics and sound.

What is this I don't even?  Where then, do any of the original SMB/SMB3/SMW enthusiasts, and the smaller pockets of old-Namco-title-lovers like myself come from?  Heck, even Super Mario 64 had downright horrible graphics compared to modern games, and that didn't make it or any of the games preceded it any less fun.

More than that, I would argue that the increased sophistication in the SNES's controller made the experience more enjoyable.

Personally, I feel SMW only required one more button than the past Mario titles (spin jump), so the majority of the "sophistication" of the controller was unnecessary.  That being said, I couldn't imagine SMW being played with any other controller.  And SMB3 wouldn't have been any better with sophisticated graphics or controller (personally, I believe that the SNES version is inferior in at least the latter category).

Honestly, I'm not partial to either game, but these can't seriously be the only ways that SMW is better (which it undeniably has to be in some respects).  I think the poll now is an accurate representation of their relative quality and enjoyability.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:26:08 AM by jdaster64 »
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2010, 07:10:23 AM »
And I disagree pretty much 100% with your statement, Turtlekid.
If a game was nothing but awesome physics with horrendous graphics I'd eat it up.

What is this I don't even?  Where then, do any of the original SMB/SMB3/SMW enthusiasts, and the smaller pockets of old-Namco-title-lovers like myself come from?  Heck, even Super Mario 64 had downright horrible graphics compared to modern games, and that didn't make it or any of the games preceded it any less fun.

o______o

I'm not saying that games are necessarily worse for a lack of graphics and sound, only that good graphics and sound can contribute to a game's being fun.  That's all.  No need to shove the "Gameplay > Graphics" mantra down my throat.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
I'll admit that was a bit hasty.  While I still don't think the graphics contributed to SMW's improvements to SMB3, I can't imagine having as much fun watching my hallmates have a particularly bad match in Modern Warfare 2 were it 8-bit.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2010, 10:46:35 PM »
Not to be a jerk or anything, but it's pretty much common sense that a game with better graphics contributes to make the game better, but does not make games with worse graphics any worse worse. Would you rather play SMB3 in 8-bit or 16-bit? I want a legitimate reason if you say 8-bit.

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2010, 10:55:05 PM »
I'd rather play it in 16-bit were it not for the fact that the SNES controller is harder to use than the NES controller.

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2010, 11:45:39 PM »
8bit, because I don't like SMW sounds in my SMB3.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2010, 11:48:20 PM »
They messed up the world 5 map music in SMAS.
That was a joke.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2010, 12:06:08 AM »
You see, Super Mario World is a lot like "Star Trek: The Next Generation". In many ways it's superior but will never be as recognized as the original.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2010, 12:23:15 AM »
I don't think that's really a fair comparison. I love them both, but I like TNG better overall. But I like SMB3 better than SMW. Also I don't like SMB1 as much as either.
That was a joke.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2010, 12:34:18 AM »
I just saw it as a great opportunity to quote Wayne's World. But really, I prefer both TOS and SMB3.

Print