Print

Author Topic: Super Mario World VS Yoshi's Island  (Read 9274 times)

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2001, 08:28:45 AM »
Oops.  I addressed KinopioToad up there.  I meant to address Iggy Koopa.  Sorry, KT.

Iggy, check out the "Where were they born?" thread.  It may get you to like YI a bit more.

Edited by - RoyKoopa on 5/2/2001 7:29:28 AM
--Roy Koopa
--Oldest and coolest of the Seven Koopa Kids!

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2001, 12:36:02 AM »
There was a time when I shared Iggy Koopa and Mega 2's opinion of Yoshi's Island. (Well, perhaps I didn't feel QUITE as strongly as they do!)  But I certainly wasn't a big fan of the game when I rented it shortly after launch.

****ed if I know why -- perhaps I was burnt out by the SNES era's tsunami of platformers.  Perhaps I was in a bad mood at the time.  Perhaps I was annoyed out of my skull by Baby Mario's crying...  (probably the last!)

Flash forward four years to the day I start downloading ROMs for the emulator, and suddenly I feel very differently.  VERY differently.  Maybe it was the disappointment over Mario 64 and the dissatisfaction with most 3D games generally, maybe it because I was in love at the time and my mind was acting wonky, maybe I'd had some acid slipped into my beer.  Whatever.  I started playing as was immediately impressed.

and then I got to the "tough Fuzzy, get dizzy" level.  My mind was blow.  I was flaberghasted.  My puny brain exploded.  And i suddenly went from playing video games twice a year  to relieve final exam stress to became as hardcore a devotee as I had in grade 7.  Every level was a revelation - the pseudo 3D effects of the FX/2 chip was too cool to put into words, and the fact that EVERY level had unique enemies and gameplay challenges and I was hooked.  A tour of the pawn shops in town found two copies of the game, and the quest to get 100% in each level continues.

Moral of the story - ummm... well... the game rocks.  HARD.  In a fair fight yoshi's Island will kick Mario world's heiny.  As for Yoshi's Story, let's not get started on that piece of poo.

--
Elijah
--
Elijah

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2001, 02:07:37 AM »
What really did it for me is that I didn't even know it was coming out. At the time I was not an internet junkie, and I'd gone through a very long period of not buying game-news magazines. And then I saw this in a shop, and while I thought the idea sounded silly, I got it for my next birthday a couple weeks later.

You see, I knew nothing about the game at all, aside from what was on the box. From turning the game on, to the moment I got 100 points in each and every level, I had discovered and played, and eventually completed one of the most graphically impressive and well designed games on the Super Nintendo.

That's why it has always been my fave game. Now I don't like playing games such as Super Mario World unless I'm exploring for every Dragon Coin or something, because I don't like walking and jumping occasionally (eg. SMB), because it's mindless. I like games that grab you, drive you through the wall and scream "LOVE ME" and YI did just that.

Pocket Monster Island - http://fryguy64.tripod.com
TMK''s newest affiliate
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

Print