Print

Author Topic: Bowser Kids  (Read 8591 times)

volbound1700

• Banned
« on: July 25, 2007, 11:06:33 PM »
Why did Nintendo decide to cut out the Bowser Children after SMW and then later go with Bowser Jr.? 

It seemed like in the heyday of nintendo they were a popular part of the Mario series and where in two of the best Mario Games ever:  SMB3 and SMW. 
Go Vols!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 12:09:32 AM »
Make room for a wider variety of bosses.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 04:21:36 AM »
Like what? Bowser Jr.? Petey Piranha?  Those guys are owned by the Koopa Kids, besides, everyone hates them anyway.

PS: The Koopa Kids came back after that, like in Yoshi's Safari, Hotel Mario *shiver*, and Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 07:25:31 AM »
They were a popular part of Nintendo, and were far less annoying than Bowser Jr. in every way. Sadly, there comes a time when the same boss over and over again gets boring. Heck, even Bowser isn't the final boss in some games nowadays (they can't just trash him though).
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 07:36:15 AM »
Honestly, I don't see any way in which Bowser Jr. is annoying. Maybe in Sunshine, Bowser didn't decide to bring the Koopa Kids with him. Another possibility may be that the Koopa Kids are grown up now and Nintendo doesn't know what to do with them. If I were Nintendo, I wouldn't know what to do with them. :p
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 09:40:16 AM »
I've never understood how Bowser Jr. was annoying either.
Also, the koopa kids have appeared in later games.
That was a joke.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 10:49:21 AM »
I have a theory. It'll probably get debunked by someone, but I'm gonna throw it out there anyway.

Has anyone noticed how Bowser Jr. looks a bit younger than the other Koopa Kids? Perhaps he was born later than the rest, so he wasn't ready to fight at the time SMB3 and SMW happened. By the time of Sunshine, he had grown and Bowser believed he was ready to fight Mario, so he had him impersonate Mario and all that. They failed, but Bowser, being the stubborn person he is (still trying to kidnap Peach after all the times he's failed), sent Bowser Jr. out again in New SMB. Cackletta, being smarter than Bowser, decided to use the older and more experienced normal 7 Koopa Kids in Superstar Saga.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 02:04:05 PM »
SushieBoy: Play New Super Mario Bros.
PaperLuigi: I'm thinking this less and less now. The reason the Koopalings couldn't possibly be annoying was their lack of personality in the games.
Kimimaru: Video game characters don't age unless the creators want them to. Mario would be pretty creaky these days if they did.
Other theories I'll throw out there: In Super Mario Sunshine, you didn't discover who was behind Shadow Mario until Pinna Park. With only one accomplice out doing his dirty work, Bowser could keep himself better hidden... I can't really imagine how Super Mario Sunshine would be if the seven Koopalings were in it... I doubt the plot would be much better.
I guess Bowser and one kid made the game run more smoothly, or Nintendo decided Bowser needed just one important accomplice, and we all know that the brilliant characters that come from the Mario RPGs can't become major Mario characters because they're non-canon, so Kammy Koopa's out of the picture. And it's clear that Super Mario Sunshine is the ultimate Mario game and everything, evidenced by all its wonderful characters now making appearances as playable characters and stuff, and Isle Delfino being everyone's favorite place to be, really.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 02:21:35 PM »
I guess Bowser and one kid made the game run more smoothly, or Nintendo decided Bowser needed just one important accomplice, and we all know that the brilliant characters that come from the Mario RPGs can't become major Mario characters because they're non-canon, so Kammy Koopa's out of the picture. And it's clear that Super Mario Sunshine is the ultimate Mario game and everything, evidenced by all its wonderful characters now making appearances as playable characters and stuff, and Isle Delfino being everyone's favorite place to be, really.

Toad: I think my sarcasm detector just exploded..

Yeah, about aging, I knew I'd get debunked. >_>
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 02:26:01 PM by Reading »
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 04:51:46 PM »
Ever notice how Bowser Jr. is much more like his father than the rest of the Koopalings? Red hair, spiky green shell, stubborn attitude, extremely pompous, and even share the same first name (Bowser)? Bowser Jr. even looks identical to his father as a baby (the one from Partners in Time). My theory is that Bowser thinks of himself as the perfect leader. Seeing that none of his children were exactly like him, Bowser decided to have an eighth child (Bowser Jr.) and raise him exactly in his image.

While I do miss the Koopalings, I agree with Kimimaru and Chup in saying Bowser Jr. isn't really annoying.

BTW, has anyone noticed how awful Bowser is as a parent? I mean, sending your kids to fight a koopa killing plumber from brooklyn? C'mon.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

volbound1700

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 08:19:29 PM »
Actually I watch the cartoons and they had personality in those.  I actually like them from the cartoons.

Bowser Jr. could just be the 8th kid.  In fact just add him to the group but they are good for splitting up as mini-bosses. 
Go Vols!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 10:42:57 PM »
Who was complaining about the Koopalings having no dialogue in MLSS? They didn't have any dialogue in the old games either. Heck, I would probably hate it a lot if 3D full motion koopalings started squawking at me as well as being in 3D. I just don't think it would work.
That was a joke.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 11:56:15 PM »
That's probably the reason the Koopalings are no longer used in more canon games now.  They're more like classic characters that don't need to be soiled with modern developments of today's games.  Can you imagine bringing back Wart or Smithy?  It would either be the same old thing again, or else they would tweak the characters to make them more interesting and people wouldn't like the change from their original appearance.  Still, I think the Koopalings could have been in Mario Parties in place of the koopa kids, you know, not important, but still present and accounted for.

Also, every other character has a sort of sidekick, and naturally Bowser does better with just one instead of seven.  Another pair like Peach and Daisy, Mario and Luigi, Wario and Waluigi, DK and Diddy, etc.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 06:42:15 AM »
Chup, I understand that the old games didn't have text, but then again, other characters from the old games in appear in text-based Mario games and look what they've managed to cook up. Besides, Bowser Jr.'s character actually seems pretty industry standard as far as "son of the bad guy" goes. He's a whiny, obnoxious brat. The Koopalings could've had seven diverse personalities (and no, I don't like how they were depicted in the show. They even had some of their design aspects changed to accommodate them) which might actually been far more interesting than Bowser Jr. is typically found. Even if they're not in a "main" Mario game, they could at least use them in the RPGs and spinoffs, as Markio pointed out with his mention of Mario Party.

Assuming they did get brought back in such a fashion, what kind of personalities would the Koopalings even have?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 06:44:08 AM by The Chef »

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 10:07:35 AM »
I kinda like Ludwig's position in the cartoons as the mad scientist.  He should also have some mad music skills

Video game characters don't age unless the creators want them to. Mario would be pretty creaky these days if they did.

I'd say he still has some spunk.  :D
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print