Print

Author Topic: Re: Whats up between Mario and Yoshi  (Read 5700 times)

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2002, 01:18:24 AM »
Well, in the instruction book for the original Super Mario Kart it mentions that Yoshi is "fond" of Mario.  Of course, he may have become twisted and bitter since then, but apparently the hitting or whatever it is in SMW didn't bother him THAT much.  Maybe Yoshi's a masochist!
Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2002, 12:31:37 PM »
nope when they ban you they just take out your name and password and all you have to do is put it back in. thats what I did!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2002, 04:43:43 PM »
Well, I did forget about Yoshi's Story. I always forget about Yoshi's Story, for some cold, entirely subconscious reason....

Anyway, here are MY rebuttals to MadMadio's points.

1. Yes, he does hit Yoshi, there is no defined finger (they CAN program it if he was pointing; They programmed the V-sign every time you beat a level...) and the forward arm motion defines a hit and not a pointing motion.

2. Yes, about Yoshi's Story, that was too short of a game to be significant. I am greatly against people who beat a game once and then say a game was "too easy" (SMW2 gets that a lot, if it was so easy, get 100s on every level!!!) SM64 was, indeed a lot better, and Yoshi was probably a last-minute additon so that the Yoshi lovers (there are a lot of them) wouldn't be angry and saying stuff like:

"Why wasn't Yoshi in SM64? Do you guys not care anymore?"

3. I have no trouble with those levels. You have to go pretty far on my "levels I fear dying in SMW list" to get a level that Mario dumps off Yoshi in:

1. Tubular
2. Outrageous
3. Awesome
4. Valley of Bowser 2
5. Forest of Illusion 2 (I tend to get too aggressive in this one)
6. Soda Lake
7. ---Valley Fortress--- (finally)

And Yoshi would be helpful in Valley Fortress... plus, Mario has no common sense about Yoshi potentially dying in the fortress/castle/Ghost house levels, as there are just as many ways for Yoshi to die in all the other levels, and if Mario noticed this, he'd leave Yoshi at the beginning of EVERY level.

As for Yoshi being scared of ghosts, why is Boo his natural partner in MP3 Duel mode then?

4. I don't believe in that "attraction" mumbo jumbo. There are no hidden forces between twins, I know a pair, and they don't feel this. As for the crying when there parents are hurt, notice 3 things.

1. Yoshi isn't Mario's parent.
2. Babies are too ignorant of the outside world to know when their parents are hurt.
3. When Yoshi dies, (i.e., spikes, thorns, lava, etc.) Baby Mario doesn't cry. Plus, for example, if Yoshi does land on the spikes, Baby Mario never touches them, so the potential argument that Mario died too is thus thrown out the window.

5. Yes, you'd be happy to see ANYONE if you were oppressed/having a conflict/standing somewhere for a long time. And in the 2 Mario RPG games, The Yoshies are having this strange easy to solve conflict that for some reason only Mario can solve. This makes Yoshi look really, really stupid, and it says that he isn't, but still... it shows (falsely?) that Yoshi can't solve his own conflicts without Mario. This makes Yoshi seem dependent on Mario, and he knows he isn't.

As for the revenge argument... In both SSB games, Mario is a better charcter than Yoshi. In MK64, Mario can do the same just as easily. But, you have to admit, Yoshi is an overall better driver. For In Mario Tennis... well, the title screen practically started so many rumors about Yoshi... that you can't POSSIBLY use that game to disprove my theory that Yoshi hates Mario.

As for the masochist theory... The only flaw with that is that Mario games are meant for kids of all ages, and thus masochism wouldn't be a good topic for 6 year olds, for obvious reasons.

Thus my opinions have been reinstated. Anyone who wishes to rebutt these opinions may do so, but keep in mind that I can argue a point extremely well.

PS: Doesn't it seem that whenever I post a long, thought provoking, controversial message, that topic EXPLODES with replies? It happened to the Yoshi color test, and it seems to have happened to this one, too. It also happened a few times before, on topics I am too lazy to revive right now.

PPS: This may be my longest post ever on these forums...

------------------------------
What? Someone made a really dumb comment? This looks like a job for...

CYNICMAN!!!!!

That''s right! CynicMan, protector of tactlessness, enforcer of raw, abusive sarcasm!

Cynicman: What kind of introduction is THAT? It''s not even a sentence!
~I.S.~

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2002, 04:44:34 PM »
GAH! Stupid laggy connection....

Edited by - Insane Steve on 7/13/2002 3:45:41 PM
~I.S.~

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2002, 05:21:48 PM »
Hey Insane Steve, at the beggining of your neverending message, you said Yoshi was not on the game SM64. Well he is on the roof of the castle.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2002, 06:03:57 PM »
I never said that. I knew that, having beaten it with 120 stars 3 times. Read the statement more carefully, it said he was a LAST-MINUTE ADDITION: not that he wasn't in there at all. Ah well.....

Additions to my old argument:

3. Add "Sunken Ghost Ship" in my list between VOB2 and FOI2.

5. Just because you SAY you are glad to see someone doesn't make it true. People lie, you know.

CYNICMAN!!!!!

That''s right! CynicMan, protector of tactlessness, enforcer of raw, abusive sarcasm!

~I.S.~

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2002, 12:22:05 AM »
The masochism thing wasn't a theory, it was a joke.  ^^  Anyway, I must be insane for getting myself involved in such a silly argument, and one where no one can really win, but I'm going to do it anyway.  *takes a deep breath*

I can't argue with the fact that Mario hits Yoshi, because I also think that's what he's doing.  Whether Yoshi hates Mario for this, we'll never know, unless Yoshi actually makes a comment in one of the games or instruction books to that effect.  We can't argue that BECAUSE of that, Yoshi MUST feel this way simply because we/another animal would . . . that's just projection, not proof.  Until Yoshi says or otherwise indicates that he's angry, we can't say he is.

Same goes for the argument that Yoshi's bitter because he doesn't appear in as many games as Mario has.  Not everyone is hungry for fame and fortune, or wants time in the spotlight . . . besides, these starring roles usually involve some direct bodily threat to whomever's the main character in the game, and Yoshi can't envy that unless he's a masochist, which you said was impossible.  Also keep in mind that Yoshi and Mario don't know that they're in video games.

I can't find my Super Mario World instruction booklet, so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it actually SAYS that Yoshi's the one who chooses not to go into the levels he goes into.  Also notice that it's Yoshi who stops outside the door and Mario who is forced to jump off and go it alone.  Mario doesn't have to tie up Yoshi to make him stay outside, and if Yoshi really wanted to follow, he could do so.  He chooses not to without having been visibly threatened or coerced by Mario.

The thing about how Yoshi MUST hate Mario because Mario was annoying and no help in SMW2 goes back to the projection thing.  We don't know this.  Yoshi couldn't possibly have expected Mario to help him in the adventure, since Mario was a newborn at the time, and he knew this when he agreed to go on the quest.  And Yoshi didn't seem to mind the crying; for all we know, it didn't bother him at all.  Just because it would bother YOU, doesn't mean it grated on Yoshi to the point of making him hate Baby Mario.

As for levels in SMW in which Mario jumps off of Yoshi and allows him to fall into the pit, this is an action by the player.  Yes, the Mario sprite does appear onscreen doing these things, but Mario didn't choose to let Yoshi fall to his death, you did.  If this kind of argument were valid, I could make a thread stating that Mario was suicidal because I purposely made the character jump into a pit 100 times in a row, or that Mario hated Toad because I punched him in the castle in Mario 64 (I have done that).  Mario doesn't have a choice when it comes to sequences that are controlled by the player rather than the game itself.  Yoshi can't hold those actions against him unless there's a function in the game that keeps track of how much the PLAYER chooses to abuse him, like there is in FF X.

Yoshi states that he is happy to see Mario, that he likes Mario, and etc. on many different occasions.  We have no reason to disbelieve him.  I can't use this as proof that Yoshi likes Mario, since he COULD be lying, but nor can you use it to prove he DOESN'T like Mario simply because he COULD be lying.  The fact that he could be lying doesn't prove that he is until there is some actual evidence that he's misrepresenting his feelings towards Mario.

Most of your argument relies on "Yoshi must feel this way, because that's how I would feel under the circumstances" kind of reasoning, which has nothing to do with anything that been shown in any of the games.  It's an interesting theory, and it could be true for all we know, but not for these reasons . . . they have no basis in Mario canon.

Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2002, 12:29:06 AM »
Hey Are you discusing me and mario!

Hey mario!!

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2002, 12:31:00 AM »
What!

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2002, 12:32:09 AM »
are we friends?

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2002, 12:33:24 AM »
Of course! :)

Edited by - mario_101 on 7/13/2002 11:33:52 PM

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2002, 12:34:50 AM »
:)

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2002, 02:00:55 PM »
You know, I think I may as well stop arguing this point, because as Mario and Yoshi are video game characters, how they feel about each other is likely determined by the players' actions, not by happenings in the game.

I'm just saying that if I was in Yoshi's position right now, I'd be mad as hell at Mario. Of course, I am mad as hell at a lot of people, so.... that goes without saying.

Let's just say that this issue can only be determined by the views of the people involved and that there is no real correct answer. This will never get solved one way or the other.

PS: Kibry/Yoshi/Mario 101, It is nice that you have returned, but please refrain from spamming the boards with one line messages like that. Thank you.

CYNICMAN!!!!!

~I.S.~

Print