The new design.
10 (37%)
The raptor design.
10 (37%)
I like both the same.
7 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Print

Author Topic: Yoshi's body shape?  (Read 8566 times)

« on: September 20, 2008, 05:25:18 PM »
Hello everybody, its poll time!  Yoshi seems to change his body sometimes.  Do you like his raptor shape body better, like in Super Mario World and SSBM; or do you like the newer shaped body better, like in Mario Party and alot of recent Mario games?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 06:00:46 PM by Silver Metaknight »
Victory... is my destiny!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 05:54:28 PM »
I wouldn't call it "the baby design." Calling it that is poisoning the well; nobody's going to vote for it now. What would I call it? I don't know, maybe just the new design.

I don't like the old long-necked vestigial-armed Yoshi much. Feels more primitive and dependent, less intelligent--he mindlessly runs into boiling lava and bottomless pits in Super Mario World. Then he's made the hero in Super Mario 64 DS, where he has to save Mario. And that was pretty cool.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 05:59:04 PM »
I like his newer design better, but I think Brawl perfected it by giving him longer limbs. Yoshi needs to be made a tad bigger, since it look weird seeing Mario ride him around despite his small size.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 07:03:35 PM »
Granted, Yoshi's no human, but I like his, shall we say, more "humanoid", upright body shape more. When Yoshi's riding on Mario, that's one thing, but as an independent character, he needn't slouch.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 07:20:02 PM »
I wouldn't call it "the baby design." Calling it that is poisoning the well; nobody's going to vote for it now. What would I call it? I don't know, maybe just the new design.

I don't like the old long-necked vestigial-armed Yoshi much. Feels more primitive and dependent, less intelligent--he mindlessly runs into boiling lava and bottomless pits in Super Mario World. Then he's made the hero in Super Mario 64 DS, where he has to save Mario. And that was pretty cool.

I think the original intent of the stubby Yoshi was that he was a baby, but this seems to have been dropped since around SMS & SM64DS. And his arms didn't strike me so much as vestigial as just orange.

The problem with the new design is that it looks very odd when Mario is riding him - In SMS his neck stretched to accommodate this. It looks... off, for a lack of a better word.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 07:30:47 PM »
Which is why I maintain that they just make him bigger, with longer limbs, and maybe a longer neck too.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 07:53:16 PM »
Longer neck but stills erect? Yoshi is evolving into was Birdo was.

His arms are long enough, and I like his stumpy legs.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 08:04:40 PM »
Hard for me to say really. All I know is that when I draw the guy(s), I lean more toward the old style. Eh, I guess I'll vote both.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 08:07:33 PM »
I liked his design in SMW because he looked more like a dinosaur lizard.  After that I think he's always had a more childish appeal, what with the rainbows and flowers and baby toting and fruit eating.  But whatever, people seem pleased.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 08:24:21 PM »
Ever notice that Yoshis and Koopa Troopas are starting to have really similar heads?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 10:29:52 PM »
I prefer the old "raptor" style, such as in Yoshi's Island or Tetris Attack or Mario Party 1 or the CG version in the Smash Bros. Melee intro. Basically, that he looked tall and a little more grown up. The new style isn't bad, but is noticeably "younger" than before. It was cute at first (see the comic-like art for Super Smash Bros. (N64), it's like he was looking cute on purpose), but it's starting to get annoying.

Longer arms seems to alleviate it a little, but there's still something that makes him look young. Maybe his head has gotten bigger in proportion to his body.

It's scary that Yoshi and Koopa Troopa are looking similar. Imagine Koopa Troopa as a yellow Yoshi and you'll see.
You didn't say wot wot.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 11:12:45 PM »
I've always imagined Yoshis and Koopas to be related.

Brawl's Yoshi is my favorite, except how he hunches over as he walks. When he runs it's okay, and it makes the ramming attack more smooth. As for leg length, I think his giant shoes make up for it.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 11:40:36 PM »
I like the new design more. With it he looks more than an stand-alone character rather than a tool.
And I think I noticed the koopa yoshi thing but didn't care. Or maybe not...
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 11:55:04 PM »
Yoshi's body shape is good both ways and for different situations. The raptor design is good for when Mario needs to ride yoshi, and the humanoid design is good for when Yoshi is solo.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 06:12:33 AM »
I voted same... I'm not sure I prefer one over the other.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print