Print

Author Topic: Jack Thompson Disbarred  (Read 6354 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: September 26, 2008, 07:15:07 AM »
It's true! Well, by the Florida Supreme Court, so that's at least one state down.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 02:34:28 PM »
Now Fox News will just list him as an author or an industry expert instead of as a lawyer.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 06:00:48 PM »
Dude's been disbarred before in Alabama.
every

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 08:37:30 PM »
Dude's been disbarred before in Alabama.
But now he's been disbarred in his home state, meaning he'd have to move to another state just to practice law. Jack would most likely be unable to do this, so he's good as disbarred.

Don't celebrate just yet; the ruling isn't effective for thirty days, and he has the option of turning into a werewolve at midnight and holding the leaders of the bar hostage. Nah, seriously, his career's toast (despite what Jack says).

Just to be clear, I don't dislike Jack for his opinions. I don't agree with them, but I believe people can think whatever they want. I just dislike how he chooses to fight his battles. He chooses to insult and demonize his enemies, instead of focusing on proving his opinion right with proof and explanations. Just look at his wikiqoutes page. He looks at everyone that doesn't subscribe to his view as the utmost evil. Even if he wasn't being serious with all his insults, he still hasn't shown any signs of competence as a lawyer. Jack could have solved his bar troubles with a simple apology, but instead, he pressed on with his hurtful words, self pity (remember when he said he all his bar trials were linked to prejudice against his Christian beliefs... in a Christian majority country?) and lack of evidence.

Leland Yee is the opposite of Jack in terms of personality: calm, humble, and nice. He keeps the video game debate clean, whether Jack turns it into a circus.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 10:09:16 PM »
Wow. I'd never really seen any quotes from Thompson. I saw a video of him saying the most ridiculous things to a man in a game store but was sure it was an actor, but now I'm not so sure... these quotes are like those from an angry little kid...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 03:57:11 PM »
Gamers are considered by normal people to be cretins. Get used to it.
This guy is right.

Even if he isn't very serious, most of the stuff he says is either hilarious or hurtfully true.
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 04:28:13 PM »
Um, no. The only people these days who really think gamers are "cretins" are either Jack Thompson or people who believe Jack Thompson, the numbers of which have dropped a whole lot.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 04:50:26 PM »
Uvaz, you do realize that games are a more successful medium than movies at this point, right?
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 08:13:34 PM »
Financially, perhaps, but what does that have to do with their being socially acceptable? Stealing eBay passwords is also a successful industry, but that doesn't mean the general public likes it.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 08:38:17 PM »
What? Video games are pretty well mainstream now and people of all demographics play them.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 10:20:10 PM »
Video games still have a really long way to go before being considered "normal" (watch any movie that shows someone playing a game and it usually shows them staring slack-jawed at a screen, mashing wildly on random buttons, often with some pre-rendered footage of some insanely gory GTA-esque fake game), but we've come a long way since the '80s when pretty much the only people who played video games were boys aged 8-12.
every

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 01:56:10 AM »
Some people say not talking about Jack Thompson is the best thing to do, to stop giving ammunition to the guy.

I used to be somewhat sympathetic because I thought this guy lost his job (or one of them), but after remembering that he went from a lawyer to an absolute psycho (the cases getting more and more ridiculous), the sympathy was lost again. Hope I don't ever have to hear from him again. But I'm sure some other lawyer or politician will come up to carry the "Think of the children, no more violent videogames!" banner.

I do think there's too many first person shooters out there and all those bloody gory games start to blend into eachother after a while (back in my day, Turok was the ultimate bloodfest... although because I wasn't a Sega fan, I missed out on the Mortal Kombat series). I'd like to see less of those games, unless they say they're honestly going to present something really new. And I may be a bit worried that the violence content is so high that a generation or more of gamers is desensitized to it (if Hollywood didn't do that first). But to prohibit selling M-rated or AO-rated games... that's wrong. If people want to play them and they're actually at an age where they'll know reality from virtual reality, let them buy it. I do support not selling M-rated games to minors without serious parental consent and acceptance, though. Granted, the only warning I got from my father (after I bought the newest Turok game) was "Just make sure it doesn't warp your mind, it's just a game."
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 07:10:35 AM »
Hey, if all he did was campaign against violent and suggestive videogames/other media, I might have some sympathy for him. However, he also tried to make Janet Reno admit she was a lesbian, compared the head of the ESRB (or maybe Rockstar--probably both) to Saddam Hussein, tried to get the Penny Arcade guys arrested, and openly insulted/humiliated dozens of people.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_(attorney)
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 02:38:18 PM »
Well Chup, I said that because I think everyone here has been offended, attacked, harassed, etc. by other people just for liking games. So when I read "Normal people hate gamers" I can't disagree with that. Well, just that if they hate someone just for liking a game, they aren't very normal. They are just jerks, hm, or something.

I do think games have their dark side, and they should be under control.

I am not sure if Thompson is in trouble for losing his job though. Just read his quotes! He can become a pretty good comedian, and tell some Gamer jokes like "How many gamers are needed to change a bulb?" or "Why didn't the gamer this his homework? Because he played games! Hooah!"
Now that I think of it he might be in trouble.
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 09:25:31 PM »
I can't really think of a time that someone thought I was weird or attacked me in some way because I play video games.
That was a joke.

Print