Print

Author Topic: What's next for 2D Mario Platformers?  (Read 28849 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2009, 05:42:04 PM »
If they can't implement online play with NSMB Wii 2/NSMB DS 1.8/NSMB Whatever, that will be unacceptable because no friends of mine play Mario (which is the case for quite a few NSMB Wii owners) or want to even touch the Wii (they would rather play my 360 and their "hardcore-only" games).

Let all the nay-sayers now gather and tell me "LULZ U WANT WIFI CUZ U HAZ NO FREINDS. IT SHUD BE PLAIED WIT UR FRIENDZ ON TEH COUCH"
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2009, 06:02:24 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you, although I don't think we're missing out on much. It's a known fact that anyone not on this site sucks at Mario in general (no sarcasm), so 90% of the time spent playing with your friends would consist of "Pop my bubble!" or "Why can't I pick up the turtle guy's shell by walking into it?"
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2009, 06:26:03 PM »
It's irrelevant how much you guys' lives suck; I'm saying stop decrying a "lack of innovation" in NSMBW when it made one of the biggest innovations to Mario platforming in Nintendo's history.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2009, 06:47:48 PM »
Who cares about the "ZOMG FOUR PEEPEL????" innovation when you can't take advantage of that in the first place for the reason I just posted above?

That is why how much our lives "suck" is relevant.

...and when did I say NSMB Wii lacked innovation?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2009, 07:01:14 PM »
You claimed that they didn't go the extra mile with it. We already know Wii online to be highly unworkable, and I'm glad it was omitted from this positively excellent title. I would not want to play it online in the first place. I do however have people to play 4P with if I wish.
Other thoughts: The game is actually way harder with 2+ players. I probably appreciate that fact, but it's still funny to think about.
That was a joke.

« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2009, 07:30:40 PM »
I love the game. I have nothing bad to say about it. The music, the multiplayer, the gameplay...everything's perfect.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2009, 08:02:15 PM »
(The following post has no angst-y/sarcasm-ish tone to it, so take it lightly.)

That doesn't necessarily reflect my stance on whether it was innovative or not. I do believe the 4 player addition to be a great innovation.

I have played two player with my ex-girlfriend. This is where NSMB Wii stores its most awesome fun and it is only when you're playing with people that the game is truly worth the almost $60 price tag.

With the Wii's wi-fi service being disgusting at best, I'm aware that, realistically, NSMB Wii would probably have had similar issues that Mario Kart had lag-wise... as in: not so much button lag (e.g. Brawl) as it is... the servers just can't keep up (but try and keep everything smooth and flowing) which results in the "game world" (for lack of a better term) not being able to tell where the hell all the racers/items/etc. are supposed to be in order to stay in sync across all players' screens. In NSMB Wii, I imagine I'd want to jump on the other player's head, then I'd suddenly see them appear somewhere away from me and I'd end up dying, for example. However, you'd think that since all the action would be confined to one screen and not much would be going (not as much to render as Brawl, I'd assume), that it could be marginally better, if that's how it works (correct me if I'm wrong) in the first place... although.. Brawl was single screen and it was terrible, but tons of stuff was happening on the screen at once constantly, however.

The reason I complain about no online co-op is because I knew that I'd definitely have tons more fun with other people, but I knew that the only way that would've been possible would've been to find like-minded Mario gamers, such as most of the people registered on my Wii and play with them over wi-fi.

I pushed for it a lot because I wanted to be able to enjoy the game for a very long time; Multiplayer is tons of fun, but I wanted to be able to experience that way more often rather than only when I ended up going to my ex-girlfriend's house to hang out and maybe play 40 minutes worth of NSMB Wii only one time... come home later... then play single player for days on end.

I can get a few buddies and we can go pick up and play Forza 3, GTA IV, or Modern Warfare 2 and have tons of fun over LIVE, so what's wrong with asking why I can't grab a few Mario buddies and play some NSMB and with saying that wi-fi should be expected next time around?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2009, 08:04:21 PM »
$49.99 is not almost $60.
That was a joke.

« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2009, 08:29:49 PM »
Ironically enough, it's $59.99 up here in the True North Strong and Free.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2009, 08:37:05 PM »
$49.99 is not almost $60.
It is if you round to the nearest sixty.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2009, 10:06:11 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you, although I don't think we're missing out on much. It's a known fact that anyone not on this site sucks at Mario in general (no sarcasm), so 90% of the time spent playing with your friends would consist of "Pop my bubble!" or "Why can't I pick up the turtle guy's shell by walking into it?"

If Princess Peach popped my bubble, that would probably pick my turtle shell right up... if you know what I mean.

Seriously, though, the multiplayer is only fun if your buddy(ies) are competent and don't have tendencies toward taking revenge.  From what I've played, the game is only harder with more than one person because the players interfere with each other more than the enemies and death traps can.  I really hope you choose to play the game only with your best friend, because after a couple of hours of it, he'll probably just be your friend.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2009, 10:36:43 PM »
Okay man, do you even understand the euphemisms you're throwing around? I really don't think you do.
That was a joke.

« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2009, 11:18:38 PM »
Yeah dude, I'm calling a moratorium on Brian, WeeGee, and Turtlekid1 putting retarted innuendo into their posts.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2009, 11:29:35 PM »
touch the Wii

Sorry 'bout that. Also, dang it, we don't need online co-op. Back when our older members were in youth in '83 with Mario Bros. you had to walk all over the arcade to find some other chump or invite one of your friends or some desperate nerdy outcast to play it on the NES, so by God we don't need online simultaneous co-op.

I say have a re-release of SMAS + SMW with Wii-uh-fied graphics. I'd be happy with that.
Why hasn't Nintendo done this already? They don't need to come up with new level designs. In fact, slap on the NSMB physics and moves, NSMBW graphics, and SMBD's special features for SMB, as well as the Mario Advance remake's special features for the rest of the game but with SMW-esque sound effects and much higher quality voice samples, comeplete with not completely outdated sounding MIDIs but rather with very accurate non-MIDI performances and bam, probably the best remakes since SM64DS.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 05:57:35 PM by coolkid »
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2009, 12:35:16 AM »
It's a known fact that anyone not on this site sucks at Mario in general (no sarcasm), so 90% of the time spent playing with your friends would consist of "Pop my bubble!" or "Why can't I pick up the turtle guy's shell by walking into it?"

Arrrrrrgh, so true.  It's well-known among my siblings that essentially the first priority to finding a secret goal, Star Coin, or darn near anything is to get in bubbles and let me handle it alone.  It took thirty-something tries to beat 7-6 with even two players!
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Print