Print

Author Topic: How Would YOU Do Mario Kart?  (Read 14751 times)

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 11:18:20 PM »
I would do away with the baby characters and Petey. If I absolutely had to put in a baby character, only Baby Yoshi would make the cut. Since, you know, he's the only one that truly matters. I like the idea of having costumes/color changes. I want to see more of that in Mario Kart: give us more Smash Bros-like options. Music frequency, item frequency, which stages appear when you hit random.. things like that.

I agree that the original 8 (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Bowser, DK, Wario) should be in, as well as the secondary set(Waluigi, Toadette, Daisy, Koopa Troopa, Diddy Kong, and perhaps Magikoopa/Kamek..) Any characters that are just bones and tendons will be considered, as well as the undead. Characters with no hands (Mostly the Goomba family) would likely not be in since they would just raise questions about driving skill..

Course creator is an option I'm almost surprised they haven't done yet. I say almost because, while it would be fun, the series has done just fine thus far without one.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 07:42:22 AM »
"Dear Strong Bad Goomba, how do you type drive with boxing gloves no hands?"
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 10:16:57 AM »
You know what's frustrating in single player Mario Kart?  When you're about to cross the finish line and get a gold trophy, but then something happens and you lose it all.  You have to start the grand prix all over again to unlock the character, tracks, vehicle, or whatever.  I think Mario Kart could benefit from a Super Smash Bros. system where you gain coins for just playing the game.  The better you perform, the more coins you get, and you can use those coins in a shop on the main menu to unlock goodies.  So even if something bad happens at the end of a grand prix, it won't all feel like a complete waste.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 10:18:42 AM »
"Dear Strong Bad Goomba, how do you type drive with boxing gloves no hands?"

He can bat with no hands in Mario Superstar Baseball/Mario Super Sluggers, so I''m fairly certain driving wouldn't be out of the question.

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 05:09:17 PM »
So even when something bad happens at the end of a grand prix, it won't be a complete waste.

Fixed!

Anyway, I like that idea. I was going to address it (and had an idea of my own for it) but that sounds like a good idea. it would be a great way to re-incoporate coins into the game. They've been used 3 times: in SMK, MKSC, and MKDS. They boost your speed in SMK and MKSC, but are only used for collection missions in MKDS.

Also: I would change the ranking system at the end of the race. Let's put it back the way it was in SMK. First place gets 9 points, second gets 6, third gets 3, fourth gets one. Finish fifth or below and you don't deserve points (play better, you loser. :p   ) Side note: I would also change the number of characters in a GP back to 8. Any thing higher honestly feels like too much because then you're getting zapped,shelled or POW'd too often.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »
Pretty much everything Toad just said.  And on the topic of POW Blocks, why not replace them with something that doesn't so specifically target higher-placed characters (I mean, there's already the Lightning Bolt's priority system, Bloopers, and Spiny Shells).  What about a Dice Block or such, where it attacks a random driver (presumably excepting the user) based on the number showing?

Also, in the spirit of Smash Brothers, ITEM. SWITCH.  At least for VS/Battle, at any rate.  How a POW Block is considered "Strategic" or triple-bananas "Aggressive" I'll never know.  Granted, I like triple-bananas as much as the next guy whilst attempting to preserve my loosely held first position (albeit futilely, seeing as POW Blocks, Thunder Bolts, et al. destroy them), but getting them all the time in fourth place is a bit ridiculous.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 09:35:55 AM »
This, and even if it's not based off of the SNES Rainbow Road, I miss the days where Rainbow Road was more than just a tricky track, but a battle with endurance and all of that. A mix between the Rainbow Roads of SNES, N64 and maybe a bit of DS/Wii would be good.

I like the new Rainbow Roads a lot more. They have more variety and such. Mario Kart 64's Rainbow Road is my least favorite; it's not tricky at all and just has a bunch of unnecessarily long turns and loops.

And for mini-turbos, I doubt we'll see MKDS's again...and I don't really care honestly because snaking sucks the fun out of Mario Kart. I know I'm going to get shot for saying this but really, think about it. I used to do it myself. Okay, so you win one race, but then you're finger hurts insanely bad from moving it so much. It's stupid.

Mini-turbos add the skill in Mario Kart just as wavedashing adds the skill in Super Smash Bros. Melee. Snaking actually takes skill and balances out Mario Kart. Without it, you get Mario Kart Wii, in which karts are basically obsolete to bikes, certain character-bike/kart combo can win basically every match, and other character-bike/kart combos can't win any matches at all. The game becomes less based on skill and more based on which combo you chose. I also dislike the fact that the "Item" stat was removed from karts and bikes in Mario Kart Wii because then everyone gets similar items in similar places. Additionally, the worst karts, which would normally have a high "Item" stat in Mario Kart DS, are be pointless to choose.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 12:16:46 AM »
(albeit futilely, seeing as POW Blocks, Thunder Bolts, et al. destroy them)

Speaking of losing items, I think only items that you are trailing behind you should be lost when you fall off the track or are hit by a powerful weapon/course hazard. Items in the reserve box at the top of the screen should still be there after any of the aforementioned attacks. I don't want to lose that Star I was saving for the middle of the second lap just because some yayhoo in fifth or below wanted to use Lightning right before I went over the jump (not only causing me to spin out and lose the Star, but fall into the water/lava below because I wasn't moving fast enough..)

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 05:13:17 PM »
wavedashing adds the skill in Super Smash Bros. Melee. Snaking actually takes skill and balances out Mario Kart.

...So says the only guy on this forum who's capable of doing them.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 09:59:04 PM »
Bring back two-person karts as an option.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 11:55:22 AM »
Bring back two-person karts as an option.

TROLL -insert image here I don't have-

That's....not going to happen as an option. It changes too much when there's 2 peoples per kart.

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 03:47:52 PM »
Seeing how the demo for the upcoming Mario Kart on the 3DS has coins, it gives me hope that the development team might consider the idea of using a Super Smash Bros.-type currency system to unlock hidden goodies.

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 04:57:01 PM »
Oh man, I'm hoping coins affect your speed like they did in SMK and Super Circuit.  Actually, why not have it both ways?  You bank any coins you have at the end of the race, but the more you have during the race, the faster you go?  That'd be awesome.

I think double-karts would be awesome to have back... as a separate multiplayer mode. 

I go back and forth on how many racers should be on the field in a grand prix.  Earlier courses aren't really designed for a larger group, but it's fun to have more karts on the field... until they item spam.  But with coins, and presumably a limited number of items (ala SMK)/better regulation of super-powerful items, we can cut down on item spam.  Also a large group of racers for grand prix also lends itself well to large online multiplayer races, which would be awesome.  With a field of 12, and if one of the online modes is a Double Dash mode, you could have 24 people all racing together online!  I think that'd be pretty sweet.
Haters gonna hate

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 05:01:49 PM »
Double karts were only really cool because characters had special items, so you could be tactical about which items you had access to. That being said, I'd love special items to return, and I'd enjoy a double mode.

This inspires me to create a thread, I think I will do that now
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print