Print

Author Topic: Anyone here making a Mario computer game?  (Read 34999 times)

« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2002, 09:01:43 PM »
Try this.

function Delay(ms)
.....t1=timer()
.....while timer() < t1 + ms
.....endwhile
endfunction

Just put the function in anywhere you want to delay the game for "ms" milliseconds.

Edited by - CashCrazed on 8/27/2002 8:02:16 PM
"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2002, 09:49:21 AM »
Hi every1
I'm new to the boards.
And i just wanted to ask, are there any free game making programs?
I'd like to try and make a mario game but i can't buy any of them which are available over the internet.
Anybody help me please?
Under Construction

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2002, 12:07:06 AM »
Well, you can try clickteam.com, they have stuff you can try for 30 days...

"Tonight, I`ll make an old family recipe. Pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade!" - Prof. E. Gadd
That was a joke.

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2002, 07:24:10 AM »
Hmmm, i used to have multimedia fusion. That prog is great for games but a really hard to learn. Picked it up at a used bookstore for 20 bucks ^_^ . Right now im working on flash mx for a mario game. If this dosnt work i might go out and buy mf again, or relearns basic =P

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2002, 02:30:10 PM »
I used BASIC, PASCAL, etc. years ago, but DB seems better suited for game although it was really made for 3D games.  I have heard C++ and VisualBASIC are a good lanquages too, but then I would have to learn all the Active X controls as well.  They are already in DB. DarkBASIC also has a free trial.  I also looked at several of the 'what you see is what you get' programs like The Game Factory, but they where limited and didn't allow direct altering of the code.  Multimedia Fusion from clickteam.com is supposed to be good and have a free trial, but I have never used it.  If you like programming I suggest DarkBASIC, but if not The Game Factory may be best.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2002, 07:51:15 PM »
I also will program games on my little TI-83(it's an outdated graphing calculator). All I can really do are text-and-pixel-graphic games like spaceship wars because of how primitive it is. It is also very slow(it took about 2 seconds to load every frame for my 3D traingle rotation demo(only LINE commands and the trig ratios, now THAT'S how hard even the most primitive 3D programming is without DirectX).

With all those "easy game maker" utilities, the term "making games" is drifting farther and farther apart from real coding, and, while making game creation easier and easier so that even Special Ed students could make games, it also keeps giving the user less and less options. I mean, what if you were using one of those and wanted  to make a special screen fade out effect where the pixels turn black in horizontal lines. What would you do about that in one of those? Make 307,200 black pixel-sized objects? In BASIC, you could simply do this:

gosub fadescreen

fadescreen:
   for fade1 = 1 to 480
      for fade2 = 1 to 640
         dot fade2,fade1
      next fade2
   next fade1
return

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2002, 10:50:55 PM »
The Games Factory has that and a bunch of other loadable fade out effects, it has plenty of options for a lot of stuff (but for a few things, none at all) and it's not too easy to use. It's really a pretty good tool... I mean, I program too, but I haven't done any in a while... hm, maybe I should start up again...

"Tonight, I`ll make an old family recipe. Pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade!" - Prof. E. Gadd
That was a joke.

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2002, 03:09:23 PM »
This is my first whack at JavaScript It is a very crude form of Mario vs. Goomba RPG fighting.
Hit Jump or Hammer to hit the goomba, or Stats to see your HP and his, and his condition.

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2002, 09:15:02 PM »
Wow, did that pitiful script alone cause this topic to die?

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2002, 09:46:57 PM »
What do you do when you get a flying spiked Goomba?

-------
Weekly Frostbite Quote #2:

"It`s no coincidence they built the bar next to the small houses."

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2002, 09:51:56 PM »
He changes FROM spiked to winged or winged to spiked. Oh, shoulda put that in there.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2002, 11:05:43 PM »
What, do you have the probability of hitting the Goomba at like 10% or something? All I ever get is 0 damage and hammering air.
That was a joke.

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2002, 12:45:36 PM »
Jump on him when he has wings and hammer him when he puts on the spiked cap. That should work.

EDIT: Yes, it works. I tried it and won:

Mario HP: 9/10
Goomba HP: -1/10

Mario, Mario, Mario! What happened to Mr. Andretti?

Edited by - MadMario on 9/28/2002 11:47:38 AM

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2002, 10:05:19 PM »
If you've played Paper Mario, it's like that; jumped on a Goomba with a spiked hat hurts you, and hammers are ineffective against flying Goombas.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2002, 10:22:19 PM »
Yes, I have... but I usually have the Spike Shield badge on...

Dexter, boy genius...Dexter, the cookie
That was a joke.

Print