Print

Author Topic: Anyone here making a Mario computer game?  (Read 34991 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2002, 11:30:01 PM »
SubConSurfer,

There are lots of free and free trial game making programs on the net.

I prefer to program in DarkBASIC which is a version of BASIC that has commands for sprites, 3D object, etc. for game making.  You can get a 30 day trial at http://darkbasic.com/download.php but I recommend DarkBasicPro because it has a better interface.

"The Game Factory" is also popular and doesn't require programming to make simple games although the interface is a little hard to learn.  I think it is now free without a time limit.  MultiMediaFusion (MMF) is also available from  http://clickteam.com for a 30 day trial.  It is a sort of upgrade of the discontinued GameFactory.

"Game Maker" is a similiar program that is available free on the web at http://www.cs.uu.nl/~markov/gmaker/

You might also want to check out the free "Scrolling Game Development Kit" (GameDev for short) at http://gamedev.sourceforge.net/

If you don't want to program or design your own games, you might want to hack a rom.  My favorite program for beginners is "Lunar Magic"  It allows you to move, copy, and change the size of objects in "Super Mario World" and then play it in a emulator.  You can get it at http://uct2.net/~fusoya/lm/ but you will need to download the rom from somewhere else if you don't have it already.

If you are really serious about making a game I suggest you learn C++.

"First we had commands, now we have arguments." - dbheaven.com
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2002, 09:34:53 PM »
Now I'm working on a Mario hack of Kirby's Adventure. Only one problem......THERE ARE TOO MANY **** GRAPHICS TO CHANGE. EACH ****ING MOVE HAS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT GRAPHIC SET, AND IT'S TOO MUCH WORK WITH ONLY NESTICLE!
"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2002, 10:53:00 PM »
I use Tile Layer Pro and HEXposure for all my ROM hacking needs. I'm working on a Protoman hack of Mega Man III and a Mega Man hack of SMB.

Dexter, boy genius...Dexter, the cookie
That was a joke.

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2002, 01:07:30 PM »
Nesticle. Hee. Did you know that the icon for it is two hairy balls?

-------
Weekly Frostbite Quote #4:

Mom: I hear we’re going to war with Iraq.
Frostbite: So what? Iraq’s like a mile across. I could run across Iraq in ten minutes!
Sister: No Danny, that’s Iran!
[Both laugh]
Frostbite: Oh, I gotta write that down!
Sister: Yeah!
Frostbite: I ran across Iraq!
[Both laugh]

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2002, 06:06:48 PM »
Thank you for sharing that with us, Frostbite.

I also use Tile Layer, but the Kirby's Adventure ROM is so **** huge it's impossible to find the Kirby graphics, but more important, what ability goes to what set, they all look almost exactly alike, the only way I can tell which set is which is by using NESticle and viewing the results in real time. Can you belive that in each set there is not only normal graphics, but entirely DIFFERENT subsets for 30 and 45 degree SLOPES!!! YAAAAAAAAGH!!!

It's gonna be kinda hard to do a Mega Man hack of SMB, since Mega Man is a six-color sprite with separate face graphics.

Edited by - CashCrazed on 10/10/2002 5:09:57 PM

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2002, 09:51:52 PM »
Well... Mario's blue and he shoots plasma balls (horizontally).... hmm, maybe I'll make it "Mario the reploid with Mega Man's enemies living in the Mushroom Kingdom" instead. I've turned the Koopas into Mets... so I've started... oh yeah, and the item boxes are the item boxes from Mega Man III.
And yes, frostbite, I knew that, and I promptly deleted the program from my computer.

That was a joke.

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2002, 04:05:24 PM »
I've been using the graphics from SMB, but there's a real problem. There is about 64K of Kirby sprite graphic, while little Mario takes up no more than 2K in SMB! I've had to design many custom graphics for Mario and still need more forms to put in place of Kirby's.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2002, 07:23:57 PM »
Hmm... Well, I can see that, as Kirby has about a million more frames than the SMB Mario. Heh... I would have at least used the GFX from SMB3.

That was a joke.

« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2002, 10:03:29 PM »
Actually, the SMB3 little Mario has only a few more frames than the SMB one(little Mario is the only one that will fit Kirby's size). However, I did use the front and back of the SMB3 Mario for ladder climbing, but other than that I'm having to draw everything else Kirby does using the basic SMB Mario for a base(it's a lot of work, especially when it comes to some of the forms only a formable blob like Kirby can take). This will most likely only be a graphic hack, since that in itself is so much work.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2002, 11:15:48 PM »
Yeah... Are there even any editors for that game?

That was a joke.

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2002, 08:20:23 PM »
Ah, the old computer game topic. Too bad work has halted on pretty much ALL of my games in development.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2002, 09:06:38 PM »
I just started work on my Mega Man 3 -> Protoman hack again... I almost have the text finished... (and nearly all the graphics) but how to turn Protoman (when you fight him) into Bass and figure out the last plot twist... you really have to be creative when tailoring a story to a new starring character...
That was a joke.

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2002, 09:09:24 PM »
It's happened again. We're on at the same time.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2002, 09:11:42 PM »
I noticed. In fact, I aimed for this time.
That was a joke.

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2002, 09:14:52 PM »
By the way, how did you get your post count so high? You have almost as many as frostbite, and he's been here twice as long as you have! What did you do, use the rapid-post growth secret that allows you to gain posts without actually posting?(I found it exists, but it's pretty useless)

Print