Print

Author Topic: Yoshi's Island GBA...  (Read 4119 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: October 02, 2002, 08:00:21 AM »
Is it any better than the Super NES version? Did Nintendo include ALL the extra mini-games and secrets that were in the original game?

I want Yoshi's Island so bad! It is the ONLY Super Nintendo Mario game that I never bought...
---
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2002, 10:21:50 AM »
Like any other remake, the easied it up a little.  Not so much as SMA 1 and 2, but the differences are there.  Extra lives are even MORE abundant (though this was never really an issue,) a few choice enemies are missing, and Reaphael no longer stomps electricity around the moon.
But the new secret levels mores than make up for it.  Oh ho ho, are they ever evil!

But yeah, as far as I can tell, all of the secrets and mini games still remain.

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2002, 06:45:47 PM »
Evil? Extra 4 type evil or Extra 5 type evil?

I like evil... Extra 5 just isn't enough now.

I am definatly getting it, if the "Super Extra" levels are really that evil for someone who knows a lot about YI, I think they'll put up a decent challenge for me. You have 100s on all of them, right?

PS: Did they mess with 4-4? They BETTER not have messed with 4-4.

I am not a people person. In fact, I`m more of an anti-people person.
I respect your post. As long as you don''t insult my intelligence in it.

Edited by - Insane Steve on 10/2/2002 5:54:45 PM
~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2002, 12:21:20 AM »
You mean YOU, of all people, don't have it yet?!
No, as far as I can tell, they didn't mess with Marching Milde's Fort...
And what few choice enemies are we talking about here? Nothing seems amiss for me...
And to answer the quiestion of this topic, I think it is better than the original... more levels, Yoshi's voice, the morphmation looks cleaner on a small screen...

Dexter, boy genius...Dexter, the cookie
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2002, 06:11:44 AM »
Now why didn't Nintendo put extra levels in the Super Mario World re-make for Game Boy? It would have made the game much more worth buying...
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2002, 09:28:17 PM »
Yeah, there's some quality evil in those levels.  A lot of stuff like "hey, lets make an evil level with lots of ______," several moments where I just laughed or said "wow- can they do that?"  and a few moments where I thought "throughout the game they show you all these ranodm enemies and elements.  Now, they put you to the test..."

As for the enemy omissions, it's mainly just trivial stuff.  Down a pipe in Bigger Boo's fort (I think) is a place where there's a bunch of ! switch coins and blocks, a blindfolded ghost, and several ghost balloons, two of which contained ! switches:  they got rid of the balloon ghosts that had nothing.  And a few instances in which you hit a turtle shell through several enemies to get a 1-up:  the enemies were replaced by Baron Von Zeppelins (balloons with needlessly elaborate names) chained to the ground.
I can't remember any other instances...

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2002, 10:10:52 PM »
Sprite efficiency. Too many Koopas=display errors.
As for the extra levels, there were no other levels left in the original SMW ROM. I've looked at every individual hex address, and there aren't any more.
Now in the Yoshi's Island ROM, I have a strong suspicion that they made more levels and then they didn't put them in the finished version, but left them in the ROM.
Same goes for the SMB3 ROM, there's like 100 levels they didn't put in!

That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2002, 01:45:58 PM »
the European version is multi-language.  I believe it's the first time that a Mario game is fully translated in Italian!

I played it a little.   ShyGuys are named  TipiTimidi

Cele the Ref

Cele the Ref

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2002, 02:05:51 PM »
shy=timid
Anyway, I think it's funny how they say "Heiho" when they come out of pipes, considering that's what they're called in Japan.
Just wondering... are you of Italian origin?

That was a joke.

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2002, 04:36:48 PM »
I do remember him stating that a few months back.

-------
Weekly Frostbite Quote #3:

Girl: Hey, we`re all calling this guy up and yelling at him. You want to try?
Frostbite: Why would I do that?
Girl: He`s really mean. He calls people crackers.
Frostbite: So? Why should I care?
Girl: You`d want to be called an hors d`oeuvre?
Frostbite: If you think crackers are hors d`oeuvres, you must be poor.
Girl: Ew!

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2002, 01:54:29 PM »
(I'm 100% italian)

I found another little good piece of translation:  the mini-game where you have to jump to catch coins before the bad guy does  is named  Saltadanaio,  mixing  salta (jump)  and salvadanaio (piggy bank)

Cele the Ref

Cele the Ref

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2002, 07:35:05 PM »
Ok...
Well, I found some interesting Italian stuff in SMS... Not only are there signs everywhere that say "Benvenuto" but there's also Gelato Beach, and Gelato is Italian ice cream, right?

That was a joke.

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2002, 12:01:38 PM »
yeah, since japanese ppl love everything is remotely italian, they decided to name all levels that way.

Bianco (white) Hills
Ricco (rich) Harbor
Pinna (flipper) Park
Sirena (siren) Beach
Pianta (plant) Village
Corona (crown) Mountain

Cele the Ref

Cele the Ref

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2002, 08:15:45 PM »
Don't forget that in the Japanese game, Gelato Beach is called Mamma (mother) Beach, and Noki Bay is Mare (sea) Bay.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2002, 08:37:55 PM »
Yeah... And does Noki mean anything outside of SMS?
Hmm, I had wondered why there was so much Italian stuff in there... That's kinda weird... but it makes the names pretty cool...

That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2002, 08:47:46 PM »
Did they leave in all of the places where Yoshi turns into stuff like tanks and submarines?  Are there any places like that in the new secret levels?

Edited by - Luigison on 10/6/2002 8:15:44 PM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print