Print

Author Topic: Ever wanted to make a Mario game?  (Read 28401 times)

« on: June 01, 2003, 06:47:30 PM »
Well here's your chance!  I figured out that you can only have 4 people in your party at once with my maker (for those of you who were following my other topic).  So now I'm offering positions to people who've always wanted to make a Mario RPG of their very own!  Here are some of the positions:

Character design (1-3)
These guys design EVERYTHING about the (4) characters from stats, to moves, to experience gain.

Sprite design (1 up)
This is self-explanitory, but these guys make all the sprites and pictures and tiles and etc.

Story design (3-10)
These guys say what happens in the game from start to finish.

Map design (2 up)
These guys make all the maps with tiles from either sprite design or from pre-made tilesets.  Drawing the maps free-hand is another option.

Item design (1 up)
These guys make all the items in the game from recovery items to equipment.

Dialog Design (1-3)
These guys put in the actual dialog that was arranged from the story designer(s) vague description.  They also put what it says for starting a fight, etc.

Skill design (1 up)
They make all the magic and moves and stuff.

Game design (Me + up to 2)
We put everything together, nuff said.

Any questions?

If I had a dime for every time someone called me forgetful, I''d... um... What were we talking about again?
Yoshi likes to dance in his backwards saddle!

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 06:50:15 PM »
Oh yeah!  And some people to sequence midis.

If I had a dime for every time someone called me forgetful, I''d... um... What were we talking about again?

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 07:25:34 PM »
I'd be willing to help on a li'l bit of everything...'cept I wouldn't be able to do music... One question: How would *we* be able to do this?

--------------------
Deep inside us all is a little green elf telling us to burn things.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 07:32:50 PM »
Ummm... you'll see.  Could you just pick one plz?  It would keep it a little more organized.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 07:51:17 PM »
Hmmm... I don't know yet. Still wanna keep my options open. Plus, I kinda like variety. :)  Actually, I *HAVE* designed a few sprites SMRPG style. They're of Mario characters--that AREN'T in the game. I also have a very large collection of sprites that are from actual games. Unfortunately, it's very hard for me to obtain them or make more. New ones can practically only be in bitmap form, since my stupid Paint Shop pro was only a 30-day trial.

Any of those job selections sounds fun, though. I'll have to wait 'til more people join in. Sprite, Story, character, item, and dialogue design are my prefernces. I's like to do a little bit of all those, if possible. But alas...I'll see...

--------------------
Deep inside us all is a little green elf telling us to burn things.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2003, 08:20:59 PM »
 Hm, I'd like to ask you, is the game in this topic, going to use the characters from your last topic? Namely, the characters from the forums here.

Before I decide to dedicate my time to something like this, I'd like to know what you were thinking about makeing and so on. It's tough to ask people to help, when they don't have enough information, you know?

I won't make a desicion yet, however, I also don't think limiting people to one section is good either. Sort of confines good opinions.

What I think you should do is, get a staff together. From there, find out which sections people would want to work on, and so on. Also, finding a medium to communicate on would be wise as well. Such as AIM, MSN, Y!M or even ICQ. These forums hardly supplies the direct contact you need if you plan on working together, eh?

However, I'm interested in helping you out, but I'd like to know in what direction you're planning for this game of yours. If you would supply some more information, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2003, 08:25:44 PM »
I think I would be good with the sprite section. I already have experience because I already make my own sprite comic.....And heck I might even be good at the story line. I already invented one quite some time ago...But I never have had the tools to make it into a game yet.....maybe it could serve as a beginning to this story?

It‘s-a me, Marionut#1!

Edited by - marionut#1 on 6/2/2003 8:49:22 AM
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 06:36:56 PM »
I can help with story, item, and game design.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2003, 08:37:13 PM »
Item and skill design sound interesting. But what language exactly are you programming this in? You can't just slap all this stuff together and POOF, there's your game, you know! If that was possible, Ultimate Mario Bros. would have been a breeze for me!
"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2003, 09:36:25 PM »
I can do the midi sequencing as best I know how.  My life is nothing but music, music, and hey, more music!  But a general idea for the game would be nice.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2003, 01:35:26 PM »
Cash, he isn't using a language, let alone even programming it. Using C++, Perl, or any other language would be quite difficult, and time consuming. He's using a program entitled RPG Maker 2003. Various versions have been released in the past, but that's the newest one, and only one that allows you to EASILY create side-view battle sequences.

Edited by - Black Mage on 6/3/2003 12:36:50 PM

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2003, 02:07:16 PM »
Yeah, what he said.  Ok, here's the deal:

Why don't we just brainstorm about possibilities and everyone says what they wanna do, then we combine them all together and make a Mario game.  I will do all of that.  I was just waiting for people to say what they wanted to do, and then I give them more info about it.  So right now, if it's ok with you guys, we can write up a story line for it and go from there.

I think that someone other than Peach or Luigi should be kidnapped.  In fact, why not Yoshi?  He would be pretty cool to rescue (by more than freeing him from an egg).  Anyway, forget all the positions, everybody pour all your efforts into the story first, then we'll worry about the other stuff.

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2003, 03:23:44 PM »
Well, I don't think Bowser should be a bad guy, since every loved being Bowser in SMRPG. So maybe we should think of a new bad guy. Or, we should just use Smithy. OR, like in Sonic Adventure 2, we could have two parts of the game, one featuring the story from the bad guy's point of view, and another from the good guy's point of view.

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2003, 03:32:23 PM »
The sonic 2 adventure way it how my story goes...I will reveal here on the boards it if MM wants to use it...

It‘s-a me, Marionut#1!
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2003, 04:47:33 PM »
Any suggestions are welcomed!  However, I think we should come up with someone new to threaten to destroy the Mushroom World.  Maybe we could make it so there is this thing called the Ztar Road (isn't Ztar from Mario Party?), and it's like the Star Road, but it's evil and grants the EXACT OPPOSITE of all good wishes (if you wished for peace, there would be war; if you wished you were taller, you'd get shorter; etc.  It would grant evil wishes however [like bowsers]).  However, it was destroyed by Geno's people a long time before there was any life on the Mushroom Planet.  However, Bowser has found a map that shows the location of the 7 Ztar Pieces (this is not going to be another "save the seven stars".  You'll see).  Parakarry, who happened to be delivering Bowser's mail, overheard the conversation between Bowser and his cronies.  Parakarry then tells Mario and Luigi about it, and they try to stop Bowser, but fail.  Bowser reforms Ztar Road and makes his wish: "I wish Mario and Luigi had never been born!"  Mario and Luigi disappear, and the Mushroom World falls into chaos.  Without Mario and Luigi, there was noone to stop Bowser from taking over the Mushroom Kingdom.  Also, without Mario, the Star Road remained broken.  But since Geno's PEOPLE were never effected by the changed time, Geno realizes what's going on and you use him to save the day!  YAY!  </stupidity>

Print