Print

Author Topic: NDS vs. PSP debate  (Read 10852 times)

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2005, 05:52:07 PM »
Thats some funny stuff, again Sony makes some stinky product that will be more successful than the actually GOOD nintendo product. Anyway, I think this is really sad, and if that whole UMD thing is true I would hate to be playing on a bus, and then ~bump~ and then there goes the disk! Or better yet! On an airplane, turbulance, and then ~bam~ your disk hits the piolit and knocks him out! Oh, I get it, the secret auidence for the PSP is terrorists, so they can sneak a weapon into airplanes! ~laughs at his syupid joke~

Rori Shangrula, Heaven on earth, utopia, is it hidden miles away, or is it tucked behind your shoe closet... You make the call
Rori Shangrula, Heaven on earth, utopia, is it hidden miles away, or is it tucked behind your shoe closet... You make the call

A

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 11:05:18 PM »
Hey, guys from 2005.

The new PSP has a touch screen and uses cartridges.

The new DS has a three-hour battery life and no first-party games.

Did I just blow your minds?
"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."
1-800-COLLECT: SAVE A BUCK OR TWO!!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 11:13:55 PM »
I actually wanted to bump one of these threads when the 3DS came out but never did.

PSP vs. DS is a legit comparison now because the DS Lite and PSP-3000 both retail for $130 and each have sizable numbers of good games available.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2011, 07:59:35 AM »
The only thing that blows my mind here, A, is that a guy had a picture in his self-made signature.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 01:59:04 PM »
Did I just blow your minds?

You did, you did

It's funny that Nintendo doesn't get why the 3DS isn't selling like the 3-D hotcakes it's supposed to. I guess they're worrying about it, or something? Did no one over there think to say, "Hey, maybe it's because there are no games"
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2011, 03:52:31 PM »
Well, I'm sure you've all heard this from a million other sources, but I really think this goes to illustrate the fact that portable game systems are probably going to die out in a stark divide between Popcap/Angry Birds/iWhatever fare and consoles.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2011, 03:59:12 PM »
I doubt it
It's YOUR problem!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2011, 04:04:20 PM »
No. Handhelds will not die, and they certainly won't be killed by phones.

Nintendo has this little thing called "name recognition"; a lot of people still use "Nintendo" as a generic term for video games, and automatically think of Mario and other Nintendo properties when the subject comes up. Nintendo has been the leader for handheld game systems for over two decades. And despite cell phone manufacturers' moves to the contrary, people want buttons.

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2011, 04:38:42 PM »
portable game systems are probably going to die out in a stark divide between Popcap/Angry Birds/iWhatever fare and consoles.

Are you kidding me?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2011, 05:14:47 PM »
I didn't say I wanted it to happen, but if the 3DS doesn't get its act together (the NGP could go either way at this point)... well, maybe I was quick to say "die out", but name recognition can only go so far when the reasons people recognize your name don't have as fond the connotations as they used to.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2011, 05:43:23 PM »
Why does the 3DS need to "get its act together," exactly?

It has low battery life compared to the DS. Is that even an issue to anyone unless they're planning on only ever playing the system during long car trips? For comparison, the PSP's battery life is about five hours (less if you run games from UMDs - once again pirates have an advantage) and I play mine all the time. I don't play it non-stop for five hours at a time outside of the house, where it's always plugged in - in fact, I never have the opportunity to do so, and since I figure most other adults have less free time than I do, I doubt they do either. As for kids, should they really be playing video games for several hours straight?

How long has the 3DS actually been out now? How many systems can you name that had a large library of hard-hitting titles appealing to everyone at launch? A couple of months after launch? A year after launch?

Would you really rather have rushed games than the level of quality Nintendo first-party releases are typically known for?

It's really hard to believe you when you say you don't want Nintendo to stop doing handhelds when you echo the claims of all these analysts who say smartphone gaming is going to kill traditional platforms.

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2011, 06:01:19 PM »
The new DS has a three-hour battery life and no first-party games.
No one called A on this? No first-party games? There were two on launch, and both were actual new games unlike, say, the Wii or DS launch.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2011, 08:12:18 PM »
A typical Nintendo major console release has a launch title -- a game that comes out within the first month or two that defines the console, does things that had never been done before, and justifies the launch of a new console. Super Mario Bros. was a totally new experience, basically creating the modern video game. Super Mario World took Mario games to a whole new level that they couldn't have reached on the NES. Super Mario 64 was almost as revolutionary and medium-defining as SMB. Wii Sports introduced a whole new way to play games and set the tone for the Wii's entire lifespan (perhaps a bit too much). Tetris was and still is the perfect handheld game. Red Alarm probably would've been the Virtual Boy's defining title, with its good use of 3D, if the whole thing had been executed better.

The DS had a launch title, but it was made by Sega -- Feel the Magic, unlike SM64DS, offered a whole new experience only possible on the DS in a way that was perfectly suited to a handheld.

The Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance didn't really have launch titles, they just had ports. This was acceptable, as they were more updates than new platforms, and had price points in line with their predecessors. Same thing with the DSi, which not only had no launch title, it didn't even get Tetris until two years after it came out (though the DSi never should've been $170). Which is ridiculous. But tangent. The novelty of being able to play a console game on the go was enough to get the Color and Advance going, but if this is supposed to be a major console release, not just an upgrade (which it [darn] well better be if you're charging $250 for it), and if stereoscopy is such a huge game-changing feature, you need a game at launch that justifies the 3DS's existence. And there is none. And the only potential one in the pipeline seems to be the Mario game, where depth of field might help out with platforming. Other than that, all we're looking forward to is N64 and Xbox games, with occasional pop-outs thrown in.

Nintendo's problem with third parties is that they've never really had a chance to figure out how their own games and third parties' games can coexist in a post-PS1 environment, especially at launch. If Mario had been out at launch for the 3DS, nobody would have bought any other games, and a lot of compelling third party games might have gotten overlooked (if there were any). The DS was the only console where third parties chose Nintendo.

If Nintendo's strategy is to hold off their own games to give third parties a head start, it's still possible that the 3DS will slowly explode like the DS did. And it's worth remembering that Super Mario Bros. didn't come out in Japan until like two years after the NES came out. Still, if Nintendo is going to put out games at launch, they should be games that justify the console's existence. Nintendogs 2, Steel Diver, and Pilotwings, as fun as they are, are just DS games with nicer graphics, just like SM64DS was really nothing but Super Mario Advance 5. If they didn't want to overshadow third parties by putting out Mario at launch, then their launch title should've been that game idea Miyamoto was talking about where you see ghosts in one eye and not the other (Granted, that would exclude people with vision problems, but that kinda comes with the territory). Something that gives people a reason to drop $250 on a 3DS instead of getting a DS and PSP, both already with their own proven libraries, for about the same price.

Reggie said that the built-in software on the 3DS is the equivalent of Wii Sports, and while that's primarily PR talk to cover up a rushed launch, I think there could be truth in it. Maybe at this point, the best way for Nintendo to fulfill the purpose of a launch title is through built-in software (which makes sense, considering their history of including launch titles as pack-ins). I think AR Games comes the closest in that regard, and may well end up being remembered as its true launch title. So yeah, it's definitely not all doom, but they do need to watch out and step things up a bit.

And now I'm gonna stop complaining about the 3DS for a while.

(also the battery life needs to be fixed)
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2011, 09:38:20 PM »
GBA started off with F-ZERO Maximum Velocity, for what it's worth.

When did the Game Boy get Tetris?
It's YOUR problem!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2011, 09:43:23 PM »
It was packed in with the system.

Print