Print

Author Topic: Mario Mario  (Read 8687 times)

« on: September 19, 2005, 02:44:28 AM »
Now, before you say anything, I'm sure this has been covered before. There seems to be alot of disbelief as to whether or not Mario and Luigi's last name is Mario. Although I know it's more than likely true, I was wondering if anyone had any sources they could point out or quote to support this?

Thanks!

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 12:37:59 PM »
Shigeru Miyamoto supports the theory that Mario and Luigi's last name are Mario.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 06:45:20 PM »
Let me think...um, no. Not one concrete proof. And yet, it seems very plausible.
---Mario and Sonic shall clash together soon. Be on the lookout.---

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 07:08:35 PM »
Nobody's come up with anything better.

"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 02:42:13 AM »
Well is there any quotes on the internet somewhere that may prove that Miyamoto confirmed this?

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 12:37:31 PM »
From Wikipedia's article on Mario:

"Mario's full name is believed to be Mario Mario, while his brother's full name is believed to be Luigi Mario, thus making them the "Mario Brothers". (This is generally accepted as canon. According to Shigeru Miyamoto, the Mario Bros. movie, and the television series, their surname is Mario, but this has never been officially supported by Nintendo.)"

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 09:32:22 PM »
I've never accepted the thing about his last name being Mario. It just sounds stupid. I don't know if he even has a last name, however silly that sounds. And as it was said before, I've never heard anything official about Mario's last name being Mario.

I also don't know that Mario needs to officially have to do with Brooklyn; the later games seem to suggest that he lives in a world all his own, and I like that idea better.

_______
j00r 73h r0x0r, d00d!
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 02:23:12 AM »
"From Wikipedia's article on Mario:

"Mario's full name is believed to be Mario Mario, while his brother's full name is believed to be Luigi Mario, thus making them the "Mario Brothers". (This is generally accepted as canon. According to Shigeru Miyamoto, the Mario Bros. movie, and the television series, their surname is Mario, but this has never been officially supported by Nintendo.)""

That's exactly the reason why I'm bringing it up. Because not everyone believes their last name can be Mario.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 09:18:23 AM »
I think it was stated in the recent Nintendo Power with Mario Kart on the cover in a quiz near the end, but I can't confirm because I don't have it with me.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 12:54:35 PM »
Antoshi: Of course not.

I said in my first post that Miyamoto-san supported the THEORY that their last names were Mario. I never said it was a fact that it was.

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 05:18:40 PM »
So then, what, there is NO concrete proof anywhere?

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 06:38:10 PM »
In the Mario Bros. Movie his name was Mario Mario if I'm not mistaken.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 07:05:24 PM »
....Yes, that was said already.

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 09:49:06 PM »
The Mario Bros. movie doesn't define anything about the series. It deviates a lot from the real storyline.

And keep in mind that just because they're called "the Mario Bros." doesn't mean that their last name has to be Mario. They could just be called that after Mario, the more well-known of the two. (I believe Sapphira made that point at some time or other.)

_______
j00r 73h r0x0r, d00d!

Edited by - smfan1085 on 9/21/2005 8:49:53 PM
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 10:12:14 PM »
I think it was stated in the recent Nintendo Power with Mario Kart on the cover in a quiz near the end, but I can't confirm because I don't have it with me.

I just checked, nothing in the quiz.

Even if you want to discount the movie, the title "Mario Brothers" implies that they are brothers sharing the last name "Mario". For example, the Everly Brothers are Don Everly and Phil Everly.

Print