Print

Author Topic: Raccoon Sam presents; Yoshi's Island, Lost bytes.  (Read 8916 times)

« on: November 13, 2006, 12:44:09 PM »
Not what you think :3

While decompressing the graphics, I stumbled across these little thingamajigs. There was also some more, but Photobucket is being a nacho to me.

Note, these may not be the correct palettes.

Discuss.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 03:20:26 PM »
Isn't that mushroom thing already covered on this site?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 03:33:20 PM »
Yes and no. 

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island unused sprites

A little digging into the SMW2 ROM uncovers some very interesting sprites that, for one reason or another, did not make it into Yoshi's Island.

" height="112" width="128" height="112" width="128

On the top-right are Shy Guys and a Tweeter from <a href="smas.shtml">Super Mario All-Stars[/url], and some odd-looking Bob-ombs above the green X's.
On the left side we can make out three more possible Yoshi transformations: Plane, Tree, and Mushroom. I'd guess the plane met its end at the hands of the helicopter, and if they were ever serious about the tree and the mushroom they eventually came to their senses and quickly scrapped them. If they actually made it into the game, here's our best guess at how they would be animated:

Plane" height="24" width="32Tree" height="48" width="32Yoshroom?" height="32" width="28

The SMW2 sprites shown above were not compressed.

Source:  http://themushroomkingdom.net/lostbytes.shtml

The flared out version isn't there.

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 01:06:15 AM »
Rather strange.
Why did they compress the mushroom, since it's already both, uncompressed and unused..?

Sqrt2

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 04:21:46 AM »

That rock-thing looks creepy, very creepy.
I wish they'd gone with the plane transformation over the helicopter one. That one is hard to control sometimes. And that they'd included that parrot enemy from SMB2 (can't remember name).
AA fanboy and proud!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 05:55:07 AM »
I bet the plane would have been harder to control.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 06:24:20 AM »
I bet the plane would have been harder to control.

I'm going to bet equally hard to control, just because that seems like the fun and cool and different thing to do.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 06:28:46 AM »
That'd actually be quite simple graphics hack.
Then again, the propeller and all that.. I might put my finger on it someday.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 07:09:50 AM »
Huh, interesting. I remember reading the article on the YI lost bytes on TMK. WTD was that mushroom and tree transformation supposed to be useful? Does it act as camofloudge and make Yoshi blend in with the background? Would enemies walking past you just think your a regular tree while in your tree transformation and walk past you?

Y'know, I think that looks pretty creepy. I wonder what use it was going to have in the final game?
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 11:19:25 AM »
Y'know, I think that looks pretty creepy. I wonder what use it was going to have in the final game?

It's so creepy, if it appears on the screen, you instantly lose a life.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 12:28:08 PM »
Apparently the O_O Face was within the Graphics table of the sewer tilesets.
It's apparently supposed to be a harmless tile..?

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 01:03:09 PM »
Looks too much like it's supposed to mean something, so they got rid of it.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 03:59:57 PM »
Getitoffgetitoff!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 06:00:44 PM »
Get what off?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 06:03:48 PM »
That weird red block.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

Print