Print

Author Topic: New Mario titles unveiled at E3  (Read 56697 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2009, 12:56:29 PM »
I do like games with a buttload of playable characters, even when it makes no sense. Classic example I like to use, Kirby: Canvas Curse. Waddle Dee, Waddle Doo, King Dedede and Meta Knight do not fit in the story, ever, but you can play as them!! ...!!!

But I disapprove of Daisy altogether, and don't want to think of what Bowser riding Yoshi would look like. The rest, of those, sure. Though, said buttload of playable characters only really has its charm if everyone is unique--and the point of Mario, Luigi, a Toad and a Toad isn't that you can play as them. It's that four people can play simultaneously.

I don't like the idea of two nameless Toads all-a-sudden being in, myself. I doubt they're placeholders, but if they are, my votes are for Toad and Wario. Toad wears blue and Wario wears yellow. Red, green, blue, yellow. Like old times. Like current times. Only better.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2009, 02:27:59 PM »
How the hell could Bowser be playable if he's the main antagonist?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
I don't know. How the heck did Luigi rescue himself from the Ghostly Galaxy?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #153 on: July 29, 2009, 05:11:20 PM »
I wondered the same thing... for about five seconds, after which I realized it's because Nintendo apparently wasn't in the mood to make the main game more complex, so they artifically extended it by switching the main character and not really changing anything, logic be [darn]ed.

« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2009, 05:13:25 PM »
Well, they DID change a few things. But only slight dialogue changes that would take about 5 minutes to re-do.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2009, 12:26:32 PM »
Don't look at it as a paradox, be thankful we can finally CONTROL LUIGI IN A FULL FLEDGED 3D ENVIRONMENT ON YOUR TV!

After all the rumors, and hoaxes in SM64, it's finally possible.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2009, 06:55:31 PM »
Hey, playing as Luigi was cool, and they did change that one (hella hard) Toy Time Galaxy level.... But now why couldn't they have just had Mario be in that mansion instead of a Luigi clone? The man's been conned by Boos before.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2009, 07:19:42 PM »
Luigi being in Galaxy was half-effort fan service. And I hated having to play as him.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2009, 07:30:33 PM »
Well, full-fledged fanservice would've involved having Luigi in a scanty bikini, so be grateful. But agreed: I'd much rather have had a few new levels or something than the obligation to re-beat the game with a slippery Mario clone.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2009, 09:47:24 PM »
I'd have been fine with unlocking him by rescuing him from the Ghostly Galaxy, with the other character becoming the non-playable one until you switched. Switching could be suspended until you saved the NPC when he got stuck in trees or whatever.

To make it less like Hard and Easy mode (messing with movement control is the WRONG answer to that, anyway), Luigi could have certain abilities Mario doesn't, like in SM64DS... but not as much. He was quite a game breaker... In response, Mario should have abilities Luigi wouldn't, but nothing that would make any single star exclusive to one or the other. The traditional stuff... Mario's faster running actually makes him my choice over Luigi's higher jumping in Super Mario Advance 2. I prefer his traction to the higher jumps in Galaxy, also.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2009, 10:01:29 PM »
I wholeheartedly concur with every suggestion you raised there, including your choice of character. I'm also hoping for less-linear gameplay: Asteroid-hopping is fun and all, but being unable to revisit parts of levels without re-starting them is a stifling nuisance.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #161 on: July 31, 2009, 11:38:59 PM »
I thought Galaxy had an okay number of free-roam courses. Honeyhive/Golden Leaf, Beach Bowl, plenty of the one-star galaxies... I know I'm forgetting others...

Galaxy 2 could stand to have more though, I'll agree. There was a huge snow-covered level in the trailer if I remember correctly, and wasn't the one with all the black ghouly Mario copies pretty big too?
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #162 on: July 31, 2009, 11:51:51 PM »
The Dark Mario world gave me one of those "infinite barren expanse with invisible borders" vibes, but there's no telling.

« Reply #163 on: August 01, 2009, 01:39:43 AM »
I hope everyone understood the point of my post, because I wasn't talking about Galaxy at all.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2009, 08:57:16 AM »
Which post?

Also, as I've said before, I grew up playing more of the full-3D Mario games (SM64 and SMS) and so a return to semi-linearity in SMG was a bit of an unexpected adjustment. However you feel about free-roaming vs. linearity, though, I hear SMG2 will have more open courses.

I would also hope, as mentioned a few times in part above, that Luigi and/or some other playable character unlockable in SMG2 would have different skills instead of just being a visual swap (with floatier controls). Either way, SMG really highlights something I've seen in some modern games that greatly annoys me: The act of making a short game, then having the person play through it over and over again with few changes to get everything. I guess that's supposed to compensate, but it comes across to me as an obvious act of padding (that can sometimes damage whatever small shred of realism the plot had).

Of course, with Yoshi along for the ride, I've got a feeling we'll be back to just Mario in SMG2. But there's always hope...

Print