Print

Author Topic: Character Development  (Read 14671 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2006, 03:31:35 AM »
Most PM:TTYD characters are solid, flat gold and very well should be incarnated in 3D for future titles, but that doesn't commonly happen... most Mario RPG characters end up being never seen again, though I understand that the Star Spirits were in Mario Party 5, which I understand was not solid gold. *sigh...* Why do characters like Toadette get more spotlight than characters like Fawful? Imagine Fawful golfing... I HAVE PAR!!!
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2006, 04:27:37 PM »
That's why I'd like to see Fawful in SSBB.  "I HAVE VICTORY!!!"  Or when he flies into the distant sky in battle, he could shout his famous "I HAVE FURY!!!"
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2006, 06:24:58 PM »
A bit too early for that. We should see him featured in a few mainsrteam Mario games first. He's not what you'd call one of Nintendo's greatest stars. At least not yet. ;)

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2006, 06:26:47 PM »
What are you talking about?  Fawful is the best ever.  He is so original and special compared to all of the other characters.
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2006, 06:42:51 PM »
Including Mario,Luigi,Peach,Yoshi,Bowser,DK,Doc,Link,Zelda,Shiek,Ganondorf,Young Link,Samus,Kirby,Fox,Falco,Pika,Pichu,Jiggs,Mewtwo,Ness,Falcon,Ice Climbers,Marth,Roy,Mr.GW,Wario,Metaknight,ZS Samus and Pit?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2006, 03:37:30 AM »
Well, compared to Pit at the very least, or Pichu. The Ice Climbers, too. Sure, they're from a simpler, more carefree time where laws didn't apply to video games and pixels a foot wide were good graphics ('cept Pichu), which is all vey nice and good. But think about it; Fawful is as much of a classic character as the Ice Climbers are. The Ice Climbers were in one game (correct me if I'm wrong, by all means, as far as I know there was no Ice Climber 2) while Fawful played a major role in one. Just because he made his debut in 2003, he can't be a classic character? So, his debut was in a game not directly made by Nintendo... but AlphaDream only works for Nintendo and Solid Snake is from Konami!! Fawful needs to be in SSBB, at the very least as a trophy. Fawful is GOLD. Throw him in a spinoff and fans would FLOCK to it. Heck, if Fawful were in Mario Party 8 I'd buy it. But instead we get Toadette again and again... why?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 05:52:56 AM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2006, 12:52:21 PM »
I think whan a character is made for a specific type of Mario game, they are usually confined to that type of game. Unless they were made in a major platformer title where Myamoto had more involvement, such as the big 8(Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi,Wario, DK and Bowser).

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2006, 08:36:13 PM »
But still.  Fawful has become an instant classic.  He has that certain special something that makes a character one of greatest.  I don't care in what form, but I'd die a happy gamer if Fawful appeared in SSBB.  Plus, Fawful has the potential of bringing the spinoffs back to their former glory (Especially the Mario Party franchise).
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2006, 09:09:24 PM »
Maybe he could appear as a trophy.......

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2006, 09:36:28 PM »
Maybe they could make a small character selection box that acts as just a bunch of generic fun characters that people just wanna see.  No more than one or two special moves each.  You just scroll between them like changing costumes.  Fawful, Olimar, Toad, Dry Bones, E. Gadd, etc.  More characters could be downloaded via internet or something like that. 
"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
"I obstruct"

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2006, 10:12:03 PM »
Maybe they could make a small character selection box that acts as just a bunch of generic fun characters that people just wanna see.  No more than one or two special moves each.  You just scroll between them like changing costumes.  Fawful, Olimar, Toad, Dry Bones, E. Gadd, etc.  More characters could be downloaded via internet or something like that. 

Mmmm, Olimar needs to be a full-on "real" character in SBB... just imagine all the wacky Pikmin-based attacks!

I'd love to see Fawful as a trophy, but not much else.  There are a ton of Mario characters in SBB as is, we don't want oversaturation of characters from ONE franchise. 
Haters gonna hate

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2006, 08:32:07 AM »
That's why I think Toad should be the last Mario character they add. And to those of you who spoke of the Ice Climbers being in only one game, Sakurai said he neede a character to represent the NES and the candidates were Urban Champion, Ice CLimber, Mach Rider and Balloon Fighter. All of those had only one game. Mr.GW was added as the last unlockable character for shock value.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2006, 10:01:30 AM »
I can't believe people would want Mr. G&W dropped out! 

I don't want an oversaturation of characters from one franchise either, but I still want to see Fawful or the Babies become playable characters.  Toad is mandetory, so I'm not mentioning him.  If they have to, they could drop Dr. Mario. (Although, I don't really wanna see the Doc dropped.)
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2006, 11:06:36 AM »
Why is Toad mandatory?  What would his moves possibly be?  "Hey check it out, Up+B is 'Get Killed by Bowser!'"  He's already in the game as one of Peach's funnier attacks, and that's enough for me--plus it fits his persona better.  Toad's a support character, not a stand-alone hero.

Now that we've got Wario (who's technically there to support Wario Ware and not the Mario franchise) I can't see any other Mario series characters that NEED to be added.  We've got 7 (8 if you count Wario) Mario characters as is, the only other franchise that comes close is Pokemon with only 4 characters. 

The only Smash Bros. characters I'd be okay with dropping are Dr. Mario, Roy and Pichu, becuase they're clones of Mario, Marth and Pikachu, rather than truly separate characters.   
Haters gonna hate

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2006, 11:16:31 AM »
The only Smash Bros. characters I'd be okay with dropping are Dr. Mario, Roy and Pichu, becuase they're clones of Mario, Marth and Pikachu, rather than truly separate characters.   
:( If you think that, you must not use them. They are my three favorite characters and I see differences in them and the people they are based on.
-Doctor mario's pills are a lot differentthan Mario's fire balls, and he is somewhat faster.
-Roy is slower and stronger than Marth.
-Pichu is a bit stronger than pikachu and faster, but damages himself to compensate.

Print