Print

Author Topic: Weirdest final boss battles (Spoilers)  (Read 12056 times)

« on: May 03, 2007, 04:22:57 PM »
This is where from ANY videogame, you post what you think is the weirdest final boss. I will start out with Super Dimentio from Super Paper Mario
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 01:07:47 PM by Nintendoobsessed »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 04:48:22 PM »
I'm inclined to say the R-9 from R-TYPE Final, just because of all the weirdness you have to go through to fight him as part of the story...

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 05:29:33 PM »
ARRR!!! Why didn't you spoiler text that? nintendoobbesed??
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 05:45:45 PM »
* MaxVance points to the topic's title
I propose a new rule: For any topic that says something in its title about having spoilers, the posts in said topic do not need the spoiler tag. That said, does just the batle count, or does anything that comes right before it count too? (Example: the dating sim in world 3-4 of SPM)
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 11:14:46 AM »
Things that lead up to it can count too.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 11:20:04 AM »
I'd say Archer from kill.switch is a really dumb final boss (yes, I actually got to the end of kill.switch). His pirate pistol or whatever it is does a stupid-crazy amount of damage, and the end cinematic where he dies (yes, you don't actually kill him yourself) is about 20 seconds long and extremely lame.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 06:42:50 PM »
SPM's final fiend was peculiar, no doubt, but--and this is just off the top of my head--Super Mario Sunshine's was stranger by far. The guy's basically in a hottub, 'fer cryin' out loud!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 08:07:33 PM »
.........that certainly raises a few questions as to what he was planning, does it not?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 12:43:46 AM »
This post was made just for all the topic title neglectors! >:D

Super Paper Mario: I was kind of disappointed that the great and powerful Luigi couldn't be used in the final-final battle of SPM, but then again he'd make it far too easy. With all the "Are they dead?" stuff before reaching the end I was thinking that Mario would be alone in the last battles and the others would appear alive afterward.

Twilight Princess: So many battles with Ganondorf, so many--first with him controlling Zelda, then with Ganon in pig form, then against Ganondorf on horseback, then against Michael Jackson teamed up with Ganondorf, then Ganondorf in a tutu, and then just a duel with Ganondorf. Midna doesn't die she regains her tall princess shape and shatters the mirror!!!!!!!! Yeah it's pretty crazy.

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time: Princess Shroob had a twin sister! That was really odd, with the big tentacles and stuff. It's arguable that "Shrowser" was the final boss, but that battle, as I see it, was an excuse for saving after the last battle.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 12:45:26 AM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 08:47:59 AM »
I was considering posting about TP, but I don't really think the final battle was weird (that award goes to the many incarnations of Puppet Ganon in Wind Waker, though that's not REALLy the final boss), so much as it was varied.

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 03:25:45 AM »
I find that the Omega Metroid in MF is rather strange, as it doesn't realize Samus has Metroid cells in her. That's why it attacks her...what a dumb boss!
Yo, I'm Matty Underscore G Thirty-Three!
And I need a freaking clue...

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 04:21:48 PM »
Some of Majora's forms in Majora's Mask
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 06:21:13 PM »
Well if we did the Weirdest Boss Battles (not necessarliy final) most of the top spots would be taken up by bosses from Earthbound and the Mario Rpg series. (I'm looking in your direction, Bundt).
OH, NO! There goes Tokyo! GO, GO GODZILLA!
------
Yinzers Rule!

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 06:50:39 PM »
I can't believe no one's mentioned Golden Diva from Wario Land 4.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 06:56:53 PM »
Or Rudy the evil clown from Wario Land 3.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 08:41:47 PM »
Shrowser was pretty darn messed up. The real kicker was you never get a turn. The entire battle is about dodging and countering.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 09:25:57 PM »
That Boss reminds me of how rushed it seemed, AlphaDream seemed to have slapped Shrowser in the game at the last second, since he did not go through a cool transformation or fusion when he ate Princess Shroob he just flashes weirdly. Anyone remember Bowletta from the other game?  Caklletta and Bowser fused, so why not again, with another villain?

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 10:06:49 PM »
I can't believe no one's mentioned Golden Diva from Wario Land 4.

Or Rudy the evil clown from Wario Land 3.

Or the giant disembodied head from the original Wario Land.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 06:36:21 AM »
You mean the boss of Stove Canyon?

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 07:15:28 AM »
That would be the one.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2007, 01:01:50 PM »
Can this topic changed to wierdest boss battle in general? Because the boss of the town level in Wario Land 2 was pretty wierd. You have to play basketball against him.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2007, 02:14:19 PM »
That's what I was thinking.  Not really fair limiting this to just the final bosses.  Zant's battle was actually really cool, but what's weird about him is that he goes from having that mastermind villain vibe to stark raving mad
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2007, 03:09:11 PM »
I thought that was pretty amusing, if not disturbing.

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2007, 03:28:15 PM »
It was like battling a Zelda version of Fawful.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2007, 06:28:18 PM »
Except Fawful's mental ailments were different from Zant's.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2007, 06:45:59 PM »
It reminded me a lot of Fawful when fighting Zant, though

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2007, 06:49:19 PM »
Fawful stayed pretty consistent in his madness.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2007, 07:44:44 PM »
Y'know, I'd have to say that any of the bosses from Dynamite Headdy were qualifiably weird.
You've got slightly strange bosses, like the "Air Battleship", which is just a normal battleship being hoisted into the air by a crane, or Tarot, a crazy-faced sun (with a broken facade) who can only be hurt by the little planetoids orbiting him, and then you've got the incidentally-random, like fighting Trouble Bruin as a group of teamsters pulls a Japanese folk art painting onto the background (as the old backround toppled over), or fighting a giant mechanical dog on wheels as a visible orchestra plays a song from the Nutrcracker in the background.
And then there's the outright-bizarre, like a wooden mannequin that attacks by wearing a veriety of costumes, or a giant mechanical-ish head that transforms through the stages of its life (from baby to boy to man to old man, each encased within the last), or the dual-faced "twin freaks", whose mood and actions depend on which way the level is current flipped.
Throw in Trouble Bruin's contraptions that roll, climb, grapple, or bisect towers, and you've got a whole mess or bosses that you can't explain without sounding a little crazy.

Honestly, I think the last boss of that game is one of the most mundane.  Except for the fact that he wore a little smiley face on a chain around his neck.
Go Moon!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2007, 09:55:14 AM »
Yeah! Dynamite Headdy! I completely forgot about that game! Thanks for reminding me.

* Glorb runs off to play Dynamite Headdy as soon as he finds his old Game Gear
every

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2007, 01:02:35 PM »
Doopliss from PM2 was really strange and cool at the same time! I mean, c'mon! He shape shifts to Mario and your partners fight with him! I wasn't used to supergaurding my own attacks, so I died a couple times :D

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2007, 02:52:47 PM »
Just how many battles were you avoiding? I generally try to get as much out experience points from previous battles so that I'm ready for those types of things.

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2007, 08:29:27 PM »
King Croacus in Super Paper Mario. I mean, come ON! He's a freakin' flower for cryin' out loud! What's not weird about that? And he's not even a Pirahna Plant, either, just a freakin' flower. And he always has to say ooooooooooooooooweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooo at least once in every sentence. That's pretty freakin' weird, if you ask me.
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2007, 08:54:43 PM »
At least they didn't recycle Petey Piranha.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2007, 05:55:32 PM »
Would it be a crime to remention Bundt from SMRPG? That was weird. Your fighting a cake! A FRICKIN CAKE!
OH, NO! There goes Tokyo! GO, GO GODZILLA!
------
Yinzers Rule!

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2007, 06:01:41 PM »

That's true.
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2007, 07:04:41 PM »
King Croacus in Super Paper Mario. I mean, come ON! He's a freakin' flower for cryin' out loud! What's not weird about that? And he's not even a Pirahna Plant, either, just a freakin' flower. And he always has to say ooooooooooooooooweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooo at least once in every sentence. That's pretty freakin' weird, if you ask me.
The reason he was so weird was because the Cragnons were unknowingly poisioning the Floro Sapiens' water supply with trash. He wanted to get back at them, so that's why he began brainwashing the Cragnons.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2007, 05:05:12 PM »

That's true.

Let us hope there is NEVER a paper version of Petey Pirahna, or Baby Bowser turned Bowser Jr for that matter.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2007, 03:53:35 PM »
I think virtually all boss battles, if not, at least nearly all final boss battles, are weird. I mean, these guys are supposed to grab your attention and stand out from normal baddies. Also, it requires you to use all the skills you've learned so far.

That being said, I COULD just say "Anything from a Mario RPG", but I'll elaborate a tad:

Bowyer: Looks like a bow, talks like Gollum crossed with Yoda, breaks the 4th wall with a set of SNES buttons in front of him that disable moves.

Those bosses in Smithy's place: What was it... Clockwork, Domino, Hoodie, or something... yeah, just go back there sometime and see what I mean.

MukuMuku: Does this count? He's a cloud of gas with two different names that's always following you around.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2007, 06:01:54 PM »
For the second one, you were thinking of Domino and Cloaker, along with their giant robot snake, Mad Adder/Earthlink. The last one is actually called Mokura.

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2007, 06:04:44 PM »
No, it's not. His name is Mokuka. :p

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
Unless it's Formless. :D

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2007, 01:49:31 PM »
Chaos in Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.
I mean, come on! It's a wheel with statues on it, that turns into a giant orb surrounded by faces!
We have a secret page!

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2007, 08:45:57 PM »
The reason he was so weird was because the Cragnons were unknowingly poisioning the Floro Sapiens' water supply with trash.

Y'know, I really didn't think about that. *facepalm*

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2007, 10:57:23 PM »
^ You cannot convince me that thing was a male.

In light of the recent gaming revelation that Ganondorf in TP's final fight is transfixed by the fishing rod, I officially nominate him.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2007, 01:28:40 AM »
KING Croacus.
Well, think about it--did you ever see a fishing rod being handled in Gerudo Valley of OoT? He's probably never seen one before.
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2007, 01:29:53 AM »
Apparently it had to do with other "useless" items being useful in other Zelda boss battles.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2007, 11:47:52 AM »
Like in OoT when you could deflect GD's energy balls with an empty bottle?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2007, 08:37:58 PM »
In light of the recent gaming revelation that Ganondorf in TP's final fight is transfixed by the fishing rod, I officially nominate him.

How was he transfixed by the fishing rod?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2007, 03:55:36 AM »
He stops moving and looks up at the hook as if to say "What the heck are you doing!?" And he leaves an opening after you put it away so you can score a fast slash or two.
It's YOUR problem!

Print